Replies

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's like 2066.gif
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Eating my exercise calories is why I exercise. :)

LOL... me too. :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...I deliberately underestimate my exercise calories and then only eat a portion of those back.
  • Ambamm77
    Options
    It's like 2066.gif

this!
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    btw i just got a hrm and used it for the first time last night, did zumba for 60 minutes and hrm says i burned 667 calories vs mfp says i burned 1000- that's a HUGE difference

How did MFP tell you you burned 1,000 at Zumba? Zumba isn't in the MFP database is it?

I found it on here somewhere?

I'm sorry, i'm not sure where i got it from then? I wonder if i found it on the zumba website or some affiliate of sorts and created my own? sorry if i don't remember but my poor little brain has been starved for 30 days now!! my bad

Don't think so. None of the 'branded' exercise forms (e.g. body pump, 30 DS, zumba) are in the database.

I just double checked, and nope, no zumba in the DB.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it :-)

I know what you mean, the database can be wildly off. But I think if you use your common sense it's easy enough to work out roughly how to estimate around it.

For instance, based on a range of calculations, I know the running cals are reasonably accurate. And I know how my running feels, so I know I can compare my level of effort to how running feels and get a reasonable estimate of how close the mfp calculations are.

I think if you aim for about 2/3s of your exercise calories, you'll be ok.

Good luck, and have fun with your exercise. I think that's probably the most important thing I've learned about losing weight.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's like 2066.gif

this!

Ugh. Agree. We're beating a dead horse, people. There are two camps, and neither camp usually has any success at moving the people in the other camp, so...we can all go home now.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I usually eat my exercise calories. I sometimes go over my calorie limit, though... So when I don't eat them back, I figure it balances out. Plus I can't be sure *exactly* how many calories I'm burning, so sometimes I will leave a few uneaten. But honestly, like a couple of other people posted, eating those calories back actually helps motivate me to exercise in the first place. If I didn't eat them, I think I would have a LOT harder time of convincing myself to exercise, even though I know how good it is for my body.
    I don't can't see any point of exercising if your gonna eat the calories ??

Healthier heart? Better endurance? Endorphins? General fitness? You can lose weight just fine on a calorie deficit alone. That's why MFP sets your caloric intake at a set level regardless of any planned exercise for the week. (Unless you set your activity level at a higher rate to accommodate your regular exercise routine.) But reducing calories won't get you in better shape. You'll just be smaller and unfit. You need exercise for that.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    This thread can be ironic for those who snub the HCG diet, but eat like they are on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Ooh, I like you. Get 'em!
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat 50-90% of them back. I have tried not to but I platued. I had to up my intake from 1200 to 1250 plus eat most of my excercise calories. I wear a Heart rate monitor that gives me my exact calorie count. I can feel assured when I am eating those extra calories, that I actually earned them. BTW what my HRM says compared to what a machine or MFP says I burned is usually way less. Makes a huge difference

Same! I have one of those chest straps with the watch and even what the elliptical machine says is higher. But I like that it tells me when I'm in the fat burning zone. I just used it yesterday doing weights and I burned more than when I do cardio!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    yes, I'm hungry
  • joders1313
    Options
    I do...you need to have the extra calories so your body doesn't go into starvation mode (then you will lose less), that's why when you sign up for the site it asks how much exercise you do and what your job is because if you regularly burn more calories then you need more throughout the day (same goes for breastfeeding etc). In saying that though it doesn't mean you can have a big mac meal after your work out, the best thing to eat after a work out is protein (personally I usually have a protein bar, but I've also heard good things about chocolate milk)
  • shahid1722
    Options
    I dont excercise at all...so no problem for me yet.. Going to start exercise next month and probably not going to eat my extra calories. Shold lose wieght quicker..i guess and keep fit !!
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my exercise calories back, but I have a cheap HRM and a fitbit and take the lowest of the two. I also don't eat quite all of them back, in case I've made miscalculations in my food or exercise logging. But for me, if I don't eat at least half back, my weight loss, measurements and BF% stalls.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I dont excercise at all...so no problem for me yet.. Going to start exercise next month and probably not going to eat my extra calories. Shold lose wieght quicker..i guess and keep fit !!

And probably trash your metabolism so you will have to eat less calories to maintain your weight loss. Ever hear of yo-yo dieters? This is usually what helps create them. Personally, I think that would suck
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was eating back all my exercise calories, but I have been stuck at about the same weight for months and months now. So I am trying to exercise more and eat back only half of the calories or so. MFP has me set at 1270 calories a day and I usually burn about 450 calories doing personal training with cardio 3 days a week, and between 200 and 300 calories on the treadmill another 2 days a week. I have no idea what the "right" answer is, but eating back my calories was resulting in no weight loss. So I'm trying this new approach.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    from what I can gather-too many people here exercise just to be able to eat more food. That just doesn't work for me-sorry if that isn't PC but its honest!
    and let me state in advance-this is my opinion and not directed AT anyone.

HAHA, so? What if that is true? What is wrong with exercising so I can "shovel" more food into my mouth? I do not have a bad relationship with food and enjoy it, very much. Its way better than "shoveling" food into my mouth and sitting on my behind all day.

I feel bad for you, the notion that feeding yourself is bad is very sad, and this opinion is directed totally to you.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    from what I can gather-too many people here exercise just to be able to eat more food. That just doesn't work for me-sorry if that isn't PC but its honest!
    and let me state in advance-this is my opinion and not directed AT anyone.

HAHA, so? What if that is true? What is wrong with exercising so I can "shovel" more food into my mouth? I do not have a bad relationship with food and enjoy it, very much. Its way better than "shoveling" food into my mouth and sitting on my behind all day.

I feel bad for you, the notion that feeding yourself is bad is very sad, and this opinion is directed totally to you.

:love: :drinker: