Started Lifting - Should I Change my Diet/Calorie Intake?

Options
I started lifting dumbbells at home this week and I was curious if I should change my goals on MFP to better suit my new plan. I plan on doing strength 3 times a week and doing other cardio activity throughout the rest of the week (i.e hockey, spin classes). Right now MFP has me at about 1400 calories for 1 pound loss per week. I do still want to lose weight (about 10 pounds), but I primarily want to build more muscle so I can reduce my body fat percentage more efficiently. Would it be best if I set myself up to lose 0.5 pounds per week? That way, I'm getting enough calories through the week to help build muscle, but still have enough of a calorie deficit that I can lose weight as well.

Just for reference - I'm 5'5" and CW 140

Replies

• STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • DaveBuck21
    Options
    Hey Sara,

I would suggest you try for a .5 lb a week loss and look at making sure you get all of your protein. Protein has the same kcal per gram that a carbohydrate does. Your protein needs to come from low fat sources though when possible. Beans/legumes and almonds are favourites of mine for protein.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Dave
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories and up your protein.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do know putting on more muscle will burn more fat. So if you wish to add muscle you may want to do as others have said and up your protein