Determining Activity Level

Options
I am 28, 5'8, and currently 150 pounds. My goal is to reach 135 pounds. I am not looking to lose these last 15 pounds as aggressive as 1.5-2 pounds per week. I am looking to stay within 0.5-1 pounds per week. I just want to make sure I am not going too far under my daily caloric needs because I know sometimes MFP numbers can be off. If I am better off eating 1500-1600 calories opposed to the 1300 limit given to me by MFP, then of course I will take the extra calories.

I have lost my first 10 pounds fairly easily in the month I have been here but now that I am getting closer to my goal, I want to make sure I really understand what my body needs. I am finding out that eating 1200 calories per day as MFP suggested for a 2 lb/week weight loss is low. I have been eating back most of my exercise calories and achieving a net calorie goal between 1300-1400. I want to be sure I am feeding my body enough especially while I am doing the 30 day shred because I don't want to lose any muscle tone.

My questions:

When determining activity level on MFP, is that including working out everyday (20-30 minutes a day for me at the moment) or outside of exercising? Pretty much I am sedentary outside of doing housework, running around with my daughter, and doing the 30 day shred.

What is the best way to calculate my BMR and maintenance calories for my current weight of manually outside of MFP?

Replies

• beautifullyblessed16
    Options
    Oh and another reason for my questions is because once I reach my goal weight of 135, I know I would not need to stick around the 1200-1400 calorie range in maintenance mode (it would be more into 1700-1800 or even higher depending on my activity level). Ugh, all these numbers are starting to confuse me...again.
  • beautifullyblessed16
    Options
    Bump
  • beautifullyblessed16
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
  • beautifullyblessed16
    Options
    Bump
  • mamalade1
    Options
    I've been wondering this too. I am caring full-time for my toddler, which is definitely an active pursuit, but does it count? What category is that in? It's not sedentary, but it's no construction job either.
  • JaqOTheWisp
    Options
    I am also wondering what activity level would best describe me. What exactly does lightly active mean? I am a house wife with older kids. I don't sit around all day but I am not out running marathons lol. I was also wondering if choosing that activity level takes into account daily chores and meal preperation. I live on a small farm and take care of chickens and a goat. I guess my question is do I need to log these activities every day.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I put myself as lightly active. My job is on my feet, I only sit on breaks (1 hour in a 10 hour shift) I do a bit of running around. I lift and move 25kg tubs by myself. but I work at night and am mostly sedentary during the day besides a short walk and some pilates/weight work. I have 2 kids and just watching them is exhausting. If I'm not too tired I will ride bikes, jump rope, play on the park etc, but usually I end up watching.
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it mostly refers to the amount of exercise you do each week. If you do none then it is sedentary. If its 1-2 days of working out then its light. 2-3 days is moderate and 3 or more is aggressive. Thats what I have found at least while searching on the web.
  • JaqOTheWisp
    Options
    Great information thank you for the help!
    17219961.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • beautifullyblessed16
    Options
    I think it mostly refers to the amount of exercise you do each week. If you do none then it is sedentary. If its 1-2 days of working out then its light. 2-3 days is moderate and 3 or more is aggressive. Thats what I have found at least while searching on the web.

I have read that too on some website especially the ones with the bmr calculators. So many conflicting sources. I workout almost everyday so I would think I am lightly active but I am not on my feet all day either.
  • glowbuggy
    glowbuggy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I listed my activity level as: Sedentary -Spends most of the day sitting. I thought that was what I did. But as I have come to realize, I am on my feet a good deal of the day, I am a SAHM, expect for some short rest periods, I am doing the laundry, dishes, prepairing meals, picking up and dropping off my daughter at school. Chasing my kids around (4 & 5) and cleaning the house in general.

So I am wondering if I should be listing my activity level as: Lightly Active - Spends a good part of the day on your feet.

I cant see to get any weight off, and it sorta hit me that maybe I am not eating enought and that is why I am not losing. That I need to change my activity level.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??? Thanks for the help!!