Good food scale

Im really new to this and I am trying so hard to measure my food acurately. Whats a good food scale out there? I have a cheap one from Target but it gives measurements in ounces and thats it. I like salad and most times I see the measurements in cups (along with tons of other things I look to add to my food diary). Just wondering what kind of luck everyone else is having with their food scale.

Replies

• mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    I wouldn't be without a food scale. It's good for accurate recipes in addition to calorie counting. I definitely recommend you get one that does grams too.

I frequently use the tare or 'add and weigh' function to build up a recipe with the bowl sitting on the scale. Very useful!

Here are my tips for choosing good scales:

* Digital.
    Make sure the digits are large and clear.

* Flat top
    So you can use your own pans or bowls for maximum flexibility. I wouldn't get one with an included jug or bowl.

* Must be able to display grams.

* Precision to 1 g

* Maximum weight
    Most go to 3 kg (6.6 lb). Some go to 5 kg (11 lb). The extra capacity isn't essential, but it's very useful.

* Tare (add and weight) function.
    Essential. Most have this now.

* Batteries.
    Check that you're happy with the battery type it provides. Some have AA or AAA batteries. Some have button batteries. These are all fine but you need to be able to replace them at short notice from a local shop. Your personal devil will make them run out just when you need them most.

Don't quote me but this one at $25 looks ok:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1328951449&sr=1-1
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    My food scale is a digital one that also has a tare function, it measures in grams.

It has been one of the most necessary things in the kitchen for me during diets.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    i swear by my food scales! best thing i have every brought since starting my weightloss journey! i measure out everything!! and i mean everything!!! :laugh:

These are the scales i have, they are really really good and you can change it between grams and oz :smile:

you will be able to buy these from Amazon or Ebay, they are a reasonable price too :)

14altv9.png
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    I have a food scale from walmart. It measures gr. lb. and oz. I Love it.
  • A food scale is critical if you want to do it right. You can get a cheapo or an electronic one, getting in the habbit of knowing exactly what your putting in, is the key! I use a cheap plasticc spring loaded one that I gto from the grcoery in the cooking utnesil isle. An electronic one is just one more bulky thing hanging around the kitchen, I would like to have one but my cheapo does a fine job!!
  • Amazon has a precision Pro that mesures in oz grams and pounds it is 25.00 with free shipping , sometimes the plate covrs the readout but i set a bowl on it tare it then plate works great comes with a free eat smart calorie counter book also
  • Thanks so much everyone. I defnitely willl check all of these out. I really want to get this right so I can learn great portion size when I reach my goal weight. I'm tired of th e roller coaster and I think a good scale will help me get off it.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,364 Member

the Eatsmart food scale is the one that i have. i've had it for just about 2 weeks. i love it.
  • For those who don't mind weighing and measuring EVERYTHING- great! More power to you!
    However- I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents- If you're not either totally committed (long term), or you're not obsessive-compulsive (no offense to anyone), I personally don't believe in going to the extreme of carefully measuring everything.
    1) It is a chore
    2) It makes your diet inflexible
    3) It makes it harder to stay on track because of those reasons

Really. Consider this- how much difference does it make if you have 4 oz of chicken on Tuesday, or 5 oz? If you're hungry- you're hungry. You need to keep your body out of starvation mode, and your mind off your stomach. Now I'm not saying 4 oz and 8 oz are the same thing- and I'm not saying this gives you permission to go over on every item every day- but keeping your stomach and your mind happy, keeps you on your program longer.

I had some low-fat cottage cheese yesterday. I literally poured a glob out of the container, and said, "yep- that looks like it's about a cup". If I felt I had to spoon it out into a measuring cup and skim off the excess before I could eat it- after 2-3 weeks, I'd be ready to throw my scale and all measuring devices out my window.

I guess I'm just saying consider your personal mentality before buying a scale and possibly derailing yourself before you begin.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I'm not going to deny what vweavers said is true, sort of.

I think it is important to get a good understanding of what a serving really is. Before I started measuring, I was easily eating three servings each time I ate anything. Now I'm much more attuned to what a serving looks like and can approximate it when I don't have a cup, tablespoon, teaspoon or scale.

That said, I wouldn't invest a lot in a scale. Get one that gets you to a point you can see what 3 oz of meat looks like. Once you have it, you can likely go without the scale.
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Looking to buy my first food scale too. I've heard the Escali Scale/Nutritional Tracker (115NS) is good. It sells for 50 dollars everywhere - but I found it at Catering Supplies Depot for 22.99.. Glad I didn't buy the Taylor at Target yesterday for more!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I bought mine at Walmart for $20. It weighs in ounces, pounds, grams. I only weigh my meat and chips.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    I have the Biggest Loser food scale that I purchased for $20 at a local department store (Meijer here in Michigan). It was money well spent and I use it every day. Really helps keep me in control. That said, now that I've been doing this for over a year, I don't weigh absolutely everything anymore. I know what 4 oz of chicken looks like, but I do weigh my cereal every morning because I'm tired and would otherwise pour way too much! I don't find it hard to keep up with because I just put my bowl on it, it's always right on the counter, turn it on and pour. Nothing difficult or time consuming. Literally takes NO extra effort except to watch it go up to what I want it to say!

Good luck!
  • This is the one I use, I think I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond a little more than a year ago, but it's cheaper on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Biggest-Pounds-Kitchen-Platform/dp/B001DQOEIE
  • kristal_1973
    kristal_1973 Posts: 33 Member
    I got the biggest loser one and it works great!
  • I prefer oz and grams, I can't get on with the cups, I would also like more in grams as that kind of measuring really suits me.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    I love mine. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. I saw it in a cookbook after I bought it. It was more expensive then the other one I was looking at, but I liked it so much more that I figured I'd spend the extra and be happy with it. I use it daily, so I definitely got my money's worth. And it has a zero button, so you can measure something and keep it on the scale and press zero. It goes back to zero and you can put something else in and it'll measure that.
  • For those who don't mind weighing and measuring EVERYTHING- great! More power to you!
    However- I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents- If you're not either totally committed (long term), or you're not obsessive-compulsive (no offense to anyone), I personally don't believe in going to the extreme of carefully measuring everything.
    1) It is a chore
    2) It makes your diet inflexible
    3) It makes it harder to stay on track because of those reasons

Really. Consider this- how much difference does it make if you have 4 oz of chicken on Tuesday, or 5 oz? If you're hungry- you're hungry. You need to keep your body out of starvation mode, and your mind off your stomach. Now I'm not saying 4 oz and 8 oz are the same thing- and I'm not saying this gives you permission to go over on every item every day- but keeping your stomach and your mind happy, keeps you on your program longer.

I had some low-fat cottage cheese yesterday. I literally poured a glob out of the container, and said, "yep- that looks like it's about a cup". If I felt I had to spoon it out into a measuring cup and skim off the excess before I could eat it- after 2-3 weeks, I'd be ready to throw my scale and all measuring devices out my window.

I guess I'm just saying consider your personal mentality before buying a scale and possibly derailing yourself before you begin.

I get what your saying and you make a very valid point. but for me, I would like to learn what a correct portin size is so that way when I go out I can guesstimate what Im eating in the future. I dont plan on weighing everything I consume for the rest of my life but I am very busy and I eat on the go a lot. I can make the correct choice of food but I do go over my portion sizes. Its learning what something looks like visually so I can enjoy time out with family and friends not always carrying food everywhere I go becasue I know exactly what the portion is. Im starting out and I want to start out on a right foot and I dont plan on being a scale slave for the rest of my life just use it as a stepping stone to educate me. But thanks so much for your advice.
  • I have the Biggest Loser food scale that I purchased for $20 at a local department store (Meijer here in Michigan). It was money well spent and I use it every day. Really helps keep me in control. That said, now that I've been doing this for over a year, I don't weigh absolutely everything anymore. I know what 4 oz of chicken looks like, but I do weigh my cereal every morning because I'm tired and would otherwise pour way too much! I don't find it hard to keep up with because I just put my bowl on it, it's always right on the counter, turn it on and pour. Nothing difficult or time consuming. Literally takes NO extra effort except to watch it go up to what I want it to say!

Good luck!

Thanks so much. Where you are is where I am aiming to be. I pour my cereal into small containers on one day then take them from there but Im working on my other foods to get the correct portions.