Let Them Eat Cake! ...in the morning

Options
13»

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    So many "breakfast" foods are so dessert-like anyway. Breakfast is typically a time for things like waffles, pancakes, french toast, plenty of fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, oatmeal is desserty depending on how you fix it, toast with jam??? I am sure there are more. I think any of these things would be equally good for dessert.

No I don't believe you will lose more weight if you eat a dessert with your breakfast. I eat dessert for breakfast anyway.

Bacon. You forgot Bacon.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's not the cake that made them lose weight, they stayed within their calorie goal for losing weight, however it helped in the long term because people who ate cake didn't gain back 22lbs the other group did, in fact they kept losing weight, another 15lbs. Also they ate SMALL piece of cake, it's not like thats all their diet consisted of.

Did anyone read the ****ing article and what it actually says? Obviously something about eating cake in the morning and eating their high cal meal in the morning worked, it may not be specifically the cake, maybe it's the fact they ate larger breakfasts than the other group. Either way it's a study and results say that perhaps eating higher calorie meals in the morning is better for long term success.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    This is directly from an old Bill Cosby routine - "Dad is great.... he gives us chocolate cake!"

I was so totally thinking about this!
    me too lol!
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think studies like this are just magic diet pills in disguise. We read them and think there is some hope we can go back to eating crap and suddenly, this time, for some reason (because there is a new study that says so), we will be become our optimal body size and shape. Who cares if there is just the tiniest shred of truth to it, which there likely is. In the long run, no gimmick results in good health, even if the gimmick is sanctioned by some scientific research. In the long run, healthy eating and and body maintenance (including exercise, rest, cleanliness) are what result in optimal body size and shape.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    "Secondly, not ALL calories are created equal. If you want to optimize your health and weight loss, you need to eat nutritious foods, not cake and doughnuts all day."

Trying to "optimize" really screws a lot of people over. It makes it too complicated.
    Set a calorie goal. Stick with it. When that becomes habit, then pick a more refined goal.

You can, in theory, eat all your allowable calories in sweets. But those sweets won't fill you up and give you energy. You'll be hungry and tired all the time. But if your calories burned exceeds your calories consumed, you'll still lose weight.

I agree with the "eat what you want within your calorie goal" philosophy. It works because it's easy to stick with.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The cake is a LIE!!!!

- if you haven't played portal, you should :D
  • sallytx
    sallytx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am living in Italy and for breakfast they usually eat a croissant or cookies and a cappuccino. Yes...cookies....they also eat pasta, rice, gnocchi, pizza for lunch and dinner. But they also consume a lot of fruits and veggies. They just eat in moderation. They only drink water and maybe wine. Sodas (diet or regular) are not a regular for them. In fact, "diet food" is really difficult to find. The only low fat foods I have seen are: milk, cream cheese, chips and diet coke. And things such as "lean cuisine" do not exist AT ALL. Most people are in pretty good shape. I guess it is all about moderation and satisfying those sweet cravings, but not going nuts. So having cake for breakfast??? why not? :)