Started Lifting - Should I Change my Diet/Calorie Intake?

Options
I started lifting dumbbells at home this week and I was curious if I should change my goals on MFP to better suit my new plan. I plan on doing strength 3 times a week and doing other cardio activity throughout the rest of the week (i.e hockey, spin classes). Right now MFP has me at about 1400 calories for 1 pound loss per week. I do still want to lose weight (about 10 pounds), but I primarily want to build more muscle so I can reduce my body fat percentage more efficiently. Would it be best if I set myself up to lose 0.5 pounds per week? That way, I'm getting enough calories through the week to help build muscle, but still have enough of a calorie deficit that I can lose weight as well.

Just for reference - I'm 5'5" and CW 140

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    if you are going to lift heavy, make sure your protein is around 1 gram per pound of body weight and fats at around .4 to .6 grams per pound and fill in the rest with carbs

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm
  • ajels11
    Options
    It might be a bit too soon to change anything. According to research, changes do not occur in our body until about a month or two. It is important to maintain healthy eating and after a few weeks, increase protein intake to aid in muscle isolation and build leaner muscles. I have reached a point where i am doing everything right, but not losing weight. According to a friend (dietician), i am not eating enough calories to aid in continuous weight loss. She feels as though my body is in starvation mode. I don't know why cos i eat a lot, but it is due to me performing more strength training and high intensity workouts, therefore my body needs more nutrients to balance. I would advice that you stick to your regular routine, but on strength training day, try to incorporate more protein. In about five to six week, depending on how much weight you lose and how much muscle you gain, you can adjust your diet to fit the nutrients your body will need to fuel your new body composition.

Heavy lifting for women.. protein should be between 1-1.2 grams per kg of body weight.
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just asked my coach this question last week - he said no.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think that would be a good idea! Eating more when lifting heavy is necessary. You burn a lot of calories when you lift especially if you add some aerobic exercises in between sets to jack your heart rate up. I would say eat more than you have been and work super hard. You will see results
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Bump! I have similar stats and the same goals as you and was going to post a question like this myself! I was thinking of upping my cals to lose 0.5lb per week in the hope of building and not losing muscle.

Currently on 1350 135g carbs 101g protein but gonna up the protein now after seeing the replies here. Anywhere between 137 and 164 will be good for me it seems.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    With only 10 pounds to go, you should aim for a half pound a week, not a whole pound a week.
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    With only 10 pounds to go, you should aim for a half pound a week, not a whole pound a week.

Your profile pic has convinced me to take your advise and bite the bullet ha great job by the way! How did you achieve such a massive visual difference with only a 2lb difference!?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Your profile pic has convinced me to take your advise and bite the bullet ha great job by the way! How did you achieve such a massive visual difference with only a 2lb difference!?

I actually lost about 10 pounds from June to October, but then put a few back on while on maintenance + recovering from an injury. I gained weight, but got smaller. Yay for strength training!
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I gained weight, but got smaller. Yay for strength training!
    [/quote]

Exactly. As much as I want to lose weight, if I'm still 140lbs, but am toned and strong with a lower BF%, I'll be satisfied.

I decided to up my calorie intake by 200, bringing me to 1600 and a projected weight loss of 0.6lbs per week. We'll see how that goes. I also changed my macro goals as someone else mentioned above. Thanks for all the responses and advice so far!