Spend my Money

Options
Help me grocery shop! I'm going tomorrow and need new ideas. What are your favorite "health" foods, staples and treats?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
    Lean meats.
    Whole grains.

And for a yummy treat - skinny cow ice cream!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    99% fat free ground turkey (great in chili and tacos), make a batch and freeze for lunches. Boneless chicken, put in crockpot with chicken broth for shredded chicken all week (great as wraps), eggs, greek yogurt, tilapia (fish) and bags of frozen veggies, sunflower seeds, salad fixings, Wishbone spray dressing
  • msjenjenp
    Options
    I second the Skinny Cow bars, but I'm trying not to eat any sweets, so I haven't bought them since I started over a week ago.
    Fresh berries - a must
    Other fresh fruit
    Low-fat Granola
    High-Fiber Bran Cereal
    Low-Fat Vanilla Yogurt
    Wholegrain Corn & Flour Tortillas
    Wholegrain Rice Cakes
    Peanut Butter
    Brummel & Brown Yogurt Spread or Smart Balance
    Parmesan Cheese
    Laughing Cow Light Cheese
    Babybel Light Cheese
    Diet Green Tea
    Black Currant Juice - in the refer healthy section - full of antioxidants - I use it as a wine replacement - LOL
    Lean Deli Turkey
    Ground Turkey Breast
    Salmon, salmon and more salmon -- expensive, but worth it
    Ezekial bread - in the frozen foods section - sprouted grain - no flour - I love this stuff toasted
    Pasta Sauce
    Pumpkin seeds
    Almonds
    Flax Seed Meal
    Dark Chocolate Chips - for snacking
    Lots of fresh or frozen green veggies
    Sweet potatoes, red potatoes, Russett potatoes
    Fat-free Refried Beans and other canned beans
    Salsa
    Sour Cream - i use regular, but light is ok, too
    Frozen sweet potato fries
    Kalamata olives
    Feta cheese crumbles
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray

Eggroll Wrappers - I keep meaning to buy these -- you can stuff them with all kinds of things, bake them in a muffin cup, roll them & bake -- there are lots of recipes on line for these and everyone raves about them -- there was a thread on this today
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit salad stuff skinny cow ice cream single serve (150 cal), tuna, cheese stix, almonds, trail mix, granola bars, cereal, skim milk, lean cuisine, lite english muffins, pizza sauce, eggs, yogurt

enjoy
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I really like mixing high end cheeses (feta, goat, etc.) with veggies...sooo good. I would advise that you buy some meal replacement bars that are lower in carbs to have on hand in case you have a day where you work out a lot and are running out the door, are at work, or too busy to make something. It is better than not eating at all.

I go crazy with olives, pickles and hummus. We usually buy about 5-8 packs of those pre-cooked chicken strips weekly because they are super easy to throw into a meal and cook up in a snap.

I am trying to stay away from as much processed stuff as possible, but if your going to have a treat, the Warm Delights are incredible. They are only 150 calories and very rich and chocolaty, and the carbs aren't so bad either. And you know I have to have my good chocolate :-)