back problems and exercise

Hi all, I am quite new to this. I have lost 3kg in 5 weeks by simply cutting down to 1200 cals per day. I really want to exercise but have a chronic back problem, in pain most days and when I do exercise it hurts so much more. Any advice on some high calorie burning exercise please?
:smile:

Replies

• MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    I have lower back problems which from time to time make me miss 6 weeks or a bit more of working out. I would first speak with your doctor about what exercises you should try. My back problems let me do Pilates but not Yoga...no Downward Dog for me LOL. I have found a newer piece of cardio equipment called a Cybex Arc Trainer. It has been easier on my back than an elliptical. I did resistance bands prior to picking up any types of free weights. However, if you can walk with minimal pain that is probably the best way for you to get cardio into your workout. 15-20 mins a day at first and then you can increase it by 10% every week.

Good Luck!
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Hi all, I am quite new to this. I have lost 3kg in 5 weeks by simply cutting down to 1200 cals per day. I really want to exercise but have a chronic back problem, in pain most days and when I do exercise it hurts so much more. Any advice on some high calorie burning exercise please?
    :smile:
    Look at you posture from a side perspective - are your knees locked, pelvis rolled forward, shoulders rolled forward...this will cause back pain. Put your body in nuetral position, unlock your knees pelvis in nuetral, tuck butt bones under, shoulder blades down away from ears and squeezed together and hold. You will isometrically contract your muscles and work on our posture as well. Also, work on your core - planks, side planks, bird/dog, abdominal crunches ( you can google any of these). A weak core can chase back pain. I know this not just because I am a personal trainer, but because I used to have bad back pain.
  • Jenean125
    Jenean125 Posts: 26 Member
    I can feel your pain....literally! I have had back surgery and still deal with numbness and pain all at the same time. Every time I start feeling like I'm invincible and decide to try some new exercise program, out my back goes and I'm down for days. I have discovered that just by being careful about using my food diary wisely, I've still lost 29 pounds in 4 1/2 months. Not losing really fast, but it's still coming off. If I feel well enough, I do a little walking, but just here at home using a DVD like Leslie Samsone. To be honest though, I would say that all the weight I have lost has to be attributed to counting those calories! I hope that once I have lost enough weight to take some of the pressure off of my back, then I can start a more serious regimen to whip myself into good shape. But until then, I will be logging every bite and walking when I can!!