serving sizes

Options
when you actually measure out a serving size, it really makes you realize how skewed peoples views on serving sizes are

I just ate 1 serving of pasta....2 oz, instead of the entire plate like most people think to be a serving!

and I'm actually satisfied, which is a good thing for me because I am terribly addicted to bad carbs

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Some things, it's ridiculous how small the serving size is.
    I don't eat sweets, but my mom bought some for herself and my sister, and the serving size was 2 cookies, and the cookies were so small!
    On some things, though, the serving size is actually a lot bigger than what I would eat-- Like canned corn!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The US government has "reference amounts" to help manufacturers with serving sizes. For example, the reference amount for cookies is 30 g.

Manufacturers have an incentive to underestimate serving size because it reduces the calories per serving.

And don't get me started on the volume versus weight issue... I've even see ribs measured in cups!

Serving sizes rarely match what I want. That's why I like to see printed "per 100 gram" figures and weigh my own serving.