Runners - Ever get severe hip pain?

Options
2»

Replies

• afirkins
    afirkins Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you Alliefiorini for the reply. I went and googled the hip joint and it seems as though my pain isn't in the joint, but more at the tip of the pelvic bone (right at the hip)... that is where it's most tender when I apply pressure.... I can lift my leg and swing it front to back with no problems - I used the machines that work the inside and outside of the thighs with no pain - so I don't feel it's in the joint.... the pain is when I walk and I can't even try a little jog in 1 place....
  • lisabaldwin94617
    Options
    Having read everyone's replies I thought is share my own experience of hip pain. Back in December I started to notice pain in my hip after running, in particular treadmill sprints, I seemed to be getting pain in my leading leg, the leg in use first in the running treadmill, after a few weeks the pain got excruciating, even after having rested for a few days, I also noticed I was tripping on nothing like my leg was catching behind me, so I went to the ER. I was told it was likely to be pulled muscle and was prescribed anti-inflammitories and muscle relaxants, I had to ask for crutches I was in that much pain! After several days the pain was still as bad so I booked into the Chiropractor and for a sports massage, I had this on 2 seperate occasions and they we're also baffled at the ammount of pain I was in. A week later I found out exactually what was wrong with me when walking holding a weight plate my hip popped, thinking I may have dislocated it I called my hubby to taker to the hospital,
    I was taken through to X-ray and was totally dumbfounded when the doctor came through to tell me I had broken, yes broken my hip, the femoral head had litterally broken away from the bone, so that afternoon I was rushed into emergency surgery and came out with 3 pins hiding me together. I still keep asking myself how at 31 can I break my hip?? I'm fit and healthy with no underlying conditions, I exercise a lot and it would seem the constant impact has caused a stress fracture which went undiagnosed and got worse and worse until it broke. I'm 7 months post surgery and still not fixed and maybe facing further surgery! No more running for me
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I obviously can't tell you what is wrong with your hips, but I'll tell you about what I deal with.

I have tight hip flexors (I work a desk job, which doesn't help) so they can get very sore after running. I did a run on Sunday and my hips are still a bit sore. Foam rolling and stretching does help a lot! I take ibuprofen and ice my hip flexors to take down the inflammation. I've been told Epsom salt baths can help, but I haven't tried that yet. When I did a run last year, they got so bad I couldn't lift my legs to put pants on for a couple days! I had to grab my ankle with my hand to pick up my foot. :frown: