Rinsing Beans?

Options
gemiwing
gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
We used canned beans and I rinse them well- will that help reduce the sodium? Anyone have any figures or data I can use to create a 'rinsed bean' entry in the food database?

I know about dried beans but they're not an option at this time. They will be in a few months- this is for now though. :)

Replies

• neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does help with the sodium. I don't know how much though. If canned beans are what you're able to do then go for it. Don't feel guilty because you don't have time to cook your own. FYI, cooking them in the crock pot is super easy and you don't have to be home. I can do 2 lb. of beans in my 6 qt. crock pot. It take about 24 hours on low. Just make sure you keep enough water in them. For flavor I use Better than Boullion. You only need a couple Tbl for a big pot.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was hoping it would cut the sodium- I have no idea how much either. I usually do dried beans but right now there was a huge sale so the canned were cheaper and we are tight tight tight on money so canned it is :)

I make a mean dried bean chili in our crock pot- aren't they life savers?! Thank you for putting my mind at ease about the sodium!