Hot Yoga! (Bikram Yoga!)

Options
I did this last night and I think I'm totally and completely in love! It is an AWESOME work out, and sooo relaxing! Apparently it's a super calorie burner. I apparently burned about 900 calories doing a 70 minute session! Which is like running 6 mph for an hour. Which, to be honest, barf. That would be boring/suck.

To be honest, after a while I didn't even notice the heat. I was so focused on performing to the best of my ability, that it wasn't an issue. I do think that I maybe over extended some of my stretches, because the back of my thighs hurt a little bit today. But, it's easy to do in that heat because your muscles are able to extend so much further that you don't even notice.

Does anybody else do hot yoga? I really, really suggest it if you aren't heat sensitive! :)

Replies

• lornabug
    Options
    I know Jillian Michaels recommends not doing it.
  • chaubner008
    chaubner008 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am glad you enjoyed it and glad you shared and i say, do what you enjoy...but i did hear jillian michaels discuss the risks of working out in a temperature altered environment...IDK, i do trust her so i probably wouldn't go there, but cant you do the same workout without the heat?
  • rachelpries
    rachelpries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. It will change your life for the better! I am on my 64th consecutive day and my goal is 365. It started with a 30 day challange and then 60. At day 59 I decided it was a 365 day challenge. I have eliminated 2 depression and anxiety medications and I am titrating off of another. You will become soooo in-tune with your body. I can go on and on about the differences it has made for me. Please feel free to add me to your friends list and ask away with question. I am going to start blogging about my experiences. Go as often as you can. I did a double today. I practiced at 9AM and 5PM. My 5PM practice was my best to date.

Keep in touch and go tomorrow if you can!

Rachel
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i have done and continue to practice yoga in a heated room (anywhere from 95-107). it's a tough 'workout' if that is what you are attempting to get. it's very tough. it's also a wonderful way to practice balance, agility, build strength, and to become more flexible. it also can be a wonderful way to just let things go...and be in the present.

that said, i have worn my previous BMF armband to various 'hot' yoga sessions and the burns were nowhere near 900 cals (granted it depends on everyone's build/gender). my highest burn about about 340 for a full 90-minute class. about 15-20 minutes was meditative practice (beginning/end), 20-25 min practice lying down and inversions, and the remaining time on our feet practicing rigorously.

did you happen to wear a HRM? again, it is possible of course to have higher burns than me, it's just that i am not so sure if the heat accentuates the burn -- i am thinking not.

anyhow, congrats on finding something you really enjoy....you really can't go wrong with attempting to stay grounded with yoga practice.

btw, haven't heard JM's opinions on practicing in heated environments..... i feel it's a personal decision/preference.
  • Vahavy
    Options
    From what I was able to find via Google Search, her biggest gripe was that it could dehydrate you. Which is entirely possible, but really all one would need to do is to stay properly hydrated.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Certain positions in yoga are widely regarded in the medical profession to be unsafe, i.e., inversions, for people who are not in top shape.

The added stress of high temperature rooms, especially for those with high blood pressure and cardiac problems isn't worth the risk, especially if you end up in need of professional medical attention and you're surrounded by people who are inclined to chant over you and encourage you to "stretch through it".
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!!!! I think I am addicted to exercise!!! I have done this before and added it again the first of the year with a holiday deal. My memebership ends the end of this month. The studio I go to even has a sculpt class...it kicks my butt! I drink alot before I go..then take a crystal light pure and a water with me. I really enjoy it! I will be sad at the end of the month! It is pretty pricey and I am paying for a gym membership too!

Try it if you haven't.....Awesome stuff!!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I did this last night and I think I'm totally and completely in love! It is an AWESOME work out, and sooo relaxing! Apparently it's a super calorie burner. I apparently burned about 900 calories doing a 70 minute session! Which is like running 6 mph for an hour. Which, to be honest, barf. That would be boring/suck.

To be honest, after a while I didn't even notice the heat. I was so focused on performing to the best of my ability, that it wasn't an issue. I do think that I maybe over extended some of my stretches, because the back of my thighs hurt a little bit today. But, it's easy to do in that heat because your muscles are able to extend so much further that you don't even notice.

Does anybody else do hot yoga? I really, really suggest it if you aren't heat sensitive! :)

My brother is a Birkam Yoga instructor. He swears by it and during his training gained 15 lbs of muscle!
    First off a proper Bikram session should last 90 minutes, not 70 minutes. (not sure if that was a typo or something but your sessions have to 90 minutes!!)

Recommendations if you are going to continue, don't eat anything heavy before the class, drink at least 16 oz water before going to class. And rehydrate after class (coconut water is even better, it's what my brother does)

Bikram yoga is all about listening to you body, so don't push yourself too hard.

My brother always goes on about the benefits of bikram, and I half-way listen (it's the little sister in me) But it is really good for your health.

So kudos!! And enjoy bikram.

p.s. get a really good mat cleaner and detergent, my brother's car reeks of sweat because of his mat and towels ( but he does bikram twice a day most times)
  • lornabug
    Options
    From what I was able to find via Google Search, her biggest gripe was that it could dehydrate you. Which is entirely possible, but really all one would need to do is to stay properly hydrated.

She also says there's a risk of overextending muscles or ligaments or tendons or whatever (no idea which, I'm not knowledgeable about anatomy) because they're so warm and so hyperflexible.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have considered taking a class ... but the " heat " just seemed a bit excessive. I do LOVE my Yoga though ... best whole body stretch / relaxation / mental awareness possible in the form of exercise.

After I try the " Suspension Yoga " ... I will venture into a " Hot Yoga " class .. just to see ! :smile:
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I've tried it - and it was not for me... BUT I'm trying it again! :o) My friend swears by Bikram. He is a thoroughbred racehorse jockey, and Bikram is the primary way he stays strong in body and mind. He has incredible core strength, leg and arm strength and endurance. He is flexible and able to focus in a chaotic environment! If you stay well hydrated before and after class, listen to your body and don't overextend... I believe the benefits are huge.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Certain positions in yoga are widely regarded in the medical profession to be unsafe, i.e., inversions, for people who are not in top shape.

The added stress of high temperature rooms, especially for those with high blood pressure and cardiac problems isn't worth the risk, especially if you end up in need of professional medical attention and you're surrounded by people who are inclined to chant over you and encourage you to "stretch through it".

there are no inversions in Bikram yoga.
    there is no chanting in Bikram yoga
    if someone is going through a rough patch because of the heat, in my studio, no you don't leave the room, because then your teacher can't keep an eye on you. but in my studio they cool you off with a wet towel and you sit out the class.

it's kind of funny, people who go on and on about the dangers of bikram yoga without ever having been in a class.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I looove Bikram- the most refreshing amazing feeling- although I get a little of that with all exercise! I can't afford it right now which saddens me... I do believe that it requires caution as any exercise- listen to your body, start slow if you need to, if you aren't in shape- work up to it and rest when needed. Listen to you instructor- they way hydrate, and breathe... I hate to say this about Jillian as I do use her home workouts and admit that I am sure she is knowledgeable- but she is also out their making money. I think she makes lots of it on those DVD's that you do in your home which would not align with encouraging Bikram- then she may conflict with her own Yoga DVD! Can't have that:) Just something to think about! Way to go all on whatever form of exercise and meditation you choose!
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

if someone is going through a rough patch because of the heat, in my studio, no you don't leave the room, because then your teacher can't keep an eye on you. but in my studio they cool you off with a wet towel and you sit out the class.

it's kind of funny, people who go on and on about the dangers of bikram yoga without ever having been in a class.

Actually there is serveral inversion - basically anytime the head is below the heart thats considered an inversion.

There are great benefits to Yoga and I love them. JM is correct when saying you can dehydrate yourself but it’s also great for detoxifying your body if you rehydrate enough. You can also over extend and tear your muscles as well as other injuries that is why you must listen to your body and stay within your limits. Doesn't matter if you can do the full posture or part of it you get all the benefits.

The best shape of my life was when I did Bikram everyday and no other form of exercise, I would be in class everyday again if it was offered where I live.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Well said. I'm not a proponent of Bikram, but the first post in this chain is just scaremongering based on stereotypes. Worth pointing out as well that a good class will have plenty of modifications for beginners and those who are less able.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Looking forward to trying this sometime in the future, appreciate you sharing your experience!
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post on Bikram Yoga, I'm very new to it and I'm learning postures on my own before i try a class. The HoT Yoga is what I'm interested in trying, so reading your positive post was refreshing. Im currently recovering form a back injury not related to yoga however the Bikram Yoga is helping me a ton!

Cheers!:drinker:
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to trash bikram yoga, although I will never go back myself.

I do want to warn you because of all of the sweat you are expelling, PLEASE only do this often if you are a very healthy eater. I was doing it for a long time and got sick. then I got sicker, when I would get a little better I would go back then I would get sick again. If it wasn't a chest infection it was a sinus infection, then an ear infection...

I went and had my blood tested. It came back as exceptionally low in every essential nutrient that your body needs to function. I changed my diet, kicked the bikram habit and never looked back.

My second complaint is that they pitch it as the perfect workout, but as a pp said, there are no inversions, there are no arm bearing exercises at all. I lost a lot of muscle mass when I quit the gym for bikram, I think that's part of my demise.

I know people that are perfect for bikram, but you neeeeeeeed to walk the walk and not just talk the talk or you can end up depleted.

I live for yoga, I go as much as possible. I like flow, I like iyengar, I like hatha yoga, I like to go just to remember to breathe... maybe try some other styles and see how you feel after that and compare it to bikram
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Apparently it's a super calorie burner. I apparently burned about 900 calories doing a 70 minute session! Which is like running 6 mph for an hour. Which, to be honest, barf. That would be boring/suck.
    Sorry but not true. It's no more a calorie burner than regular yoga, which is usually not much as you're not going at a high enough intensity to really get a good calorie burn. But that of course depends. The more you push yourself at whatever you do, the more you burn. Even still, hitting 900 calories in 70min is basically reaching the limits of human performance. You simply did not do this.

Also, 900 calories in that time is about 10mph. not 6. Marathon pace is measured at about 16cal/min by runners in it. So by going 6mph, you're going faaaar under that level of intensity.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think all you people must not sweat. If I do it, I am posing in a pool of sweat. Shoot, if I want to swim in salt water I will just go to the beach! At least they got waves there.