8 glasses of water a day?

Options
Do we really need to drink that much? Really...really?

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I drink 16 cups of water per day at least (1gallon) and thats in the winter. So yes even if your sedentary you should at least drink 64 imo.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nope, you don't HAVE to do anything.
  • mindylee413
    Options
    That is what they recommend. I find that if I drink more water, then I eat less. I try to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. If I want a snack at work, I grab my cup instead and try that. If I need a little flavor, I try to chew some gum while I drink it.
  • captaincharisma24
    Options
    That is a lot of water. You won't get sick from drinking that much?
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Yes. Dehydration is often mistaken for hunger and water helps flush out toxins. Water is essential to good health.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No.. You don't have to.... But you need it.

I just recently learned that our brain needs the 8 glasses of water a day to function properly. The human brain is about 80% water, so though 8 glasses is recommended for health, it's needed for the health of our brains too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Only if you're thirsty. Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's simple.

Drinking more water than you need doesn't do anything positive for you, the body just eliminates, so it's just a waste.

Everything you drink hydrates you, and the food you eat hydrates, also. People just like to over complicate things.
  • Mnata
    Mnata Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you need at least eight glasses worth of water a day, but that part of it comes from the food you eat and all beverages you drink, not just straight water. I figure, when I get to the point I take a drink and have to hit the restroom a few minutes later, I'm adequately hydrated.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options

lol, oh yes, you can get sick from drinking THAT much water.

Um, no. I think you'll be ok with 8 glasses. :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I always say everything in moderation, with only 3 exceptions:

1-water
    2-women
    3-walleye
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Lol no, I think I read the normal healthy human body can handle like 10 gallons of water per day or more, I cant remember the exact number. So no 64fl oz is not alot. As far as me I drink water all thoughout the day so 1 gallon is not to bad, ya if i tried to down it in one hour Id be hurting. Even at that amount of water after my workouts at nite i feel dehydrated. As the other guy said, you dont have to do anything, its up to you if you want to be healthy and drinking enough water is part of being healthy imo.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The more I drink water, the more I crave. I feel more energetic, healthy, my skin looks better, I have less headaches. Try it for a week, what do you stand to lose?
  • captaincharisma24
    Options
    informative yet funny advice. ahh what a good day.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Try to get your 8 glasses of water. It really depends what size glass you're drinking from. My glass holds 500ml and I fill it 5-7 times a day.
  • captaincharisma24
    Options
    I will try it. It just never seems like I would normally consume that much. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I typically drink anywehre from 90-120oz of WATER a day, no including any other beverage I may consume.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I drink between 10 and 12, but keep in mind it does not all have to be pure water, I drink unsweetened tea, some mio in my water, read the Mayo Clinic piece on water. it is 9 cups of fluid. One caveat is coffee is a diuretic so it pretty much cancels out in most medical opinions. BTW, I just had my blood work done and my electrolytes were perfect so no damage from that much water.
    Oh and keep in mind the poster who said don't drink unless you are thirsty, lol, thirst is a physiological signal that you are beginning the early stages of dehydration so drinking evenly throughout the day even without thirst helps keep your water level topped off, lol.
  • mollymarie83
    mollymarie83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Take your weight, divide it by two and thats how many ounces of water you should drink. A 150lbs person should drink 75 ounces of water a day.
  • Tjkramer95
    Options
    A glass equals 8 oz. 8 X 8 is 64. That's two large sodas from most fast food chains. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I don't understand why there's a post on the forums almost every day about how much liquid that is and how hard it is to do. it's not that much and it's not that hard. The days I don't get all 8, it's usually at least 6 and the ones I don't hit is because I simply forget.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Take your weight divide it in half and thats how many ounces of water you need. 8oz= 1 cup.