bump
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i am going to try:happy: sound great
  • Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to wrap them in bacon and then smoke them on my wood smoker... I bet with the ham should be really good

Before starting MFP. My favorite way was with bacon. I found ham has less cals and just enough flavor! :) I bet smoking them would be delish!
  • leahneedstobethin
    Options
    Sounds good. Thanks for posting.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kennethmayo
    Options
    Slow grilling or smoking the peppers makes them hotter so if you don't like the heat be sure and scrape the veins from the inside of the peppers first. You can do this with a spoon. We make these often in the summer.

Thank you for the low cal version. Will definitely give it a try when grilling weather gets here.
  • Kellyffm
    Options
    I grill all the time but never thought of grilling these. Thanks for the idea!
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Slow grilling or smoking the peppers makes them hotter so if you don't like the heat be sure and scrape the veins from the inside of the peppers first. You can do this with a spoon. We make these often in the summer.

Thank you for the low cal version. Will definitely give it a try when grilling weather gets here.

Slow cooking/roasting/grilling DOES NOT increase the heat. When properly cored and seeded (a jalapeno corer works wonders!) low and slow reduces the spice : http://www.chilegrill.com/Pepper-Preparation.html

When grilling stuffed jalapenos, it's best to core, seed, remove membranes (if you don't like it too spicy), poke a small hole in the bottom with a toothpick, and salt lightly before stuffing. In every batch we do get a couple that are still pretty spicy. We've noticed the ones we get in winter are generally more mild than what we get in summer (either different varieties grown in winter, or they are better-watered than the ones we get in summer).

For more recipe ideas you can check out the Chili Grill website: http://www.chilegrill.com/Stuffed-Jalapeno-Recipes.html

note- we do own this particular brand of product, but any similar contraption should work just fine for grill or oven!
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to wrap them in bacon and then smoke them on my wood smoker... I bet with the ham should be really good

Before starting MFP. My favorite way was with bacon. I found ham has less cals and just enough flavor! :) I bet smoking them would be delish!

hmm... canadian bacon maybe?
  • Kellyffm
    Options
    Honestly you can experiment with all types of meats to wrap them in. I have tried turkey slices, bacon, ham, etc. Alter according to your taste and calorie count. Then adjust broiling time accordingly. :)
  • kennethmayo
    Options

Slow cooking/roasting/grilling DOES NOT increase the heat. When properly cored and seeded (a jalapeno corer works wonders!) low and slow reduces the spice : http://www.chilegrill.com/Pepper-Preparation.html

When grilling stuffed jalapenos, it's best to core, seed, remove membranes (if you don't like it too spicy), poke a small hole in the bottom with a toothpick, and salt lightly before stuffing. In every batch we do get a couple that are still pretty spicy. We've noticed the ones we get in winter are generally more mild than what we get in summer (either different varieties grown in winter, or they are better-watered than the ones we get in summer).

For more recipe ideas you can check out the Chili Grill website: http://www.chilegrill.com/Stuffed-Jalapeno-Recipes.html

note- we do own this particular brand of product, but any similar contraption should work just fine for grill or oven!

Hey, what do I know... Sorry I didn't check with you first to see if I was right.
  • Kellyffm
    Options
    It's all good! I can tell you for a fact that chile's that get watered more are not as hot. My family has grown them for years. My uncle had fields of different varieties. I still appreciate your info and input and will definitely grill them next time around. :)
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Subscribe
  • msjenjenp
    Options
    If you have the extra calories to use, wrap bacon around them instead of ham. Broil until bacon is crispy on top.... YUM!
  • msjenjenp
    Options
    Back when I ate whatever I wanted, I would use the cream cheese and fine shred Mexican cheese blend with one-half piece of pepperoni on each pepper instead of the bacon and then I put a tiny little dot of Jalapeno jelly on each one when they were done . . . ahhhhh, the memories!

I guess if I used a little less of the low-fat cream cheese and a little 2% cheese and the lean ham instead of the pepperoni and skip the jelly, I could still enjoy a few now and then. I have tons of Jalapenos in my freezer from two plants that I grew in my garden last summer.
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    That looks so good. But the ham part. Ummmm I've never had ham with Jalepeno Poppers..... is that just me?
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    These are great! We use turkey bacon wrapped around each popper.