Healthy pudding alternative??

Options
Pandorian
Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
Anyone got any recipes? All I can find are ones that require cooking as seen in the 'Joy of Cooking' cookbook, but I haven't tried 'em yet. Too used to the 'instant' puddings or ready made pudding cups. I just remember growing up a baby-sitter insisted pudding wasn't pudding without a skin on the top from baking which grossed me out so I've been hesitant to "burn" the ingredients on something I won't like.

Should add that I have greek yogurt in the fridge, along with flavoured and plain yogurts they just don't always "hit" that same sweet spot that pudding does on occasion

Replies

• Tedyzgal
    Options
    You might want to try Jello Brand sugar free cook & serve pudding, my favorite it chocolate. Make it with skim milk and it's pretty low cal . . . I don't have a box in my pantry so I can't tell you the nutritional breakdown. You can eliminate the "skin" that forms on the top of pudding as it cools by covering with plastic wrap and pressing it down on the surface of the pudding. I make my own pudding cups by using the small ziploc plastic sealable mini bowls and keep in the fridge. This way they are all measured out for me and it's easy to grab a sweet, creamy snack that hits the spot.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like to take pumpkin puree ( canned pumpkin) add a bit of bakers cocoa and splenda and its sooooooooo good. It is healthy low call and adds a fruit/veggie serving.
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Pumpkin puree... I guess I better really put pumpkins in the garden this year, finding way more demand for the puree than I can justify buying at $5 per can at the store for.

Thanks for the ideas so far, I also got suggestions of rice pudding... I may just have to try some of the recipes available in Joy of Cooking, thanks for the "Wrap" idea to prevent the skin from forming... surely the "basic" ingredients in some of them are better than the junk in the instant...

Vanilla pudding
    Mix in a heavy saucepan
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 tsp salt
    Stir in 1/4 cup milk making a runny paste
    whisk in 1 3/4 cup milk (totally 2 cups milk between this line and prior)
    Stirring constantly heat until the mixture arrives at a simmer.
    Remove from heat and extract 1/2 cup of the mixture, to mix slowly with 1 large egg beaten...
    Stir back into the original mixture bringing to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute at the boil, stirring constantly.
    Remove again from heat, stir in 1/2 tsp of vanilla.
    Pour into dishes and cover tightly if you don't want the skin to form.

So 1/4 cup sugar
    3 tbsp cornstarch....
    1/4 tsp salt though i may cut that out entirely
    2 cups milk
    1 beaten egg
    and 1/2 tsp of vanilla...

seems healthy enough compared to
    sugar, modified corn starch, corn maltodextrin (more sugar), sodium phosphate, colour, mono and di-glycerides, hydrogenated oils, corn syrup solids and modified milk ingredients.
    Oh yes with the warning that it contains soy (if I'd seen that I'd have not bought this brand, I personally avoid soy when I can)

Chocolate uses either unsweetened chocolate or cocoa with more sugar.. Yeah I'll be trying them instead of the instant stuff. Thanks for the ideas.... open to more too ;)
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Homemade chocolate pudding is really amazing. It has a really rich chocolate flavor compared to the instant kind. Just make sure you stir constantly to avoid scorching. It's so good on a cold evening, still warm from the pan. Add in a couple of graham crackers and natty peanut butter on top, or a marshmallow or two (all in proper serving sizes, of course) and you have a really yummy dessert. My kids love it with some crumbled graham cracker on top and a large marshmallow. I call it 'S'mores pudding'. It's also good topped with a dollop of fresh whipping cream and some chopped nuts.

When I make mine I use baking cocoa, haven't tried it with the unsweetened chocolate as I save that for my chewy almond-flax seed-dark chocolate chunk granola bars...

FWIW I love pudding skin lol!
  • Pandorian
    Options
    for the scorching you think a double-boiler setup would be appropriate? I have a double boiler insert as well as lots of mixing bowls in stainless steel that fit over most of my sauce-pans... that more indirect heat should prevent scorching danger entirely, no?
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i have this is in the fridge now,

Chia Pudding

Chia seeds are another miracle food because of its non-marine whole food source of Omega-3 and dietary fiber. Omega-3 fatty acids, can normalize blood pressure, help lower bad cholesterol levels, helps to strengthen muscles and bones,, good for digestion and I could just go on about the miracles of this little seed.

Chia seeds? Chia Pet? Yes, the same chia seeds that were used to sprout green hair on animal-shaped terracotta figurines that were popular way back when. I remember soaking seeds until they were gelatinous, and then rubbing them into the grooves in the figurines. A hole in the center of the animal figure is where water was kept to keep the seeds moisten. At the time, I never knew these seeds were editable or that they had so many health benefits.

Chia Pudding
    Serves 2
    Basic recipe taste like tapioca pudding

2 cups almond milk
    1/3 cup chia seeds if you like it thicker, add more
    1 tablespoon Agave or sweetener of choice, date syrup, coconut nectar, stevia
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/8 teaspoon extract, butterscotch, maple, etc.

Pour chia seeds in 2 cup of almond Mix well and let rest 10 minutes. Blend with a wire whisk to break up any lumps and let rest another 10 minutes. Wait another 10 minutes and whisk again. Add sweetener and extract and blend in. Mixture will firm up overnight in refrigerator.

Variations
    Toss in berries
    Use coconut water from young Thai coconut
    Add cacao powder and sweetener to taste
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    for the scorching you think a double-boiler setup would be appropriate? I have a double boiler insert as well as lots of mixing bowls in stainless steel that fit over most of my sauce-pans... that more indirect heat should prevent scorching danger entirely, no?

This could work as well, although it may take longer to create enough heat to cook fully. I've never tried using a double boiler, I just stand at the stove and stir away with my whisk! lol!
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Here's my go to chocolate pudding recipe. It was from an old food network show - Cooking Thin. The recipe calls for eating it warm, but I prefer it cold, so I pop it in the fridge for awhile.

Servings: Makes 4 servings
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 cups low-fat or non-fat milk
    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Directions
    In a medium, heavy-bottomed sauce pan, stir together sugar, cocoa powder and cornstarch. Turn heat to medium high. Gradually add milk and stir constantly until pudding begins to boil and thicken, about five minutes.

Reduce heat to medium low, add bittersweet chocolate and continue heating five minutes more until pudding is completely thickened. Remove from heat, let cool five minutes.

Add vanilla and pour into pudding cups. Eat immediately or refrigerate.

From the book Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    1 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    stevia or other sweetener to taste
    1 teaspoon vanilla

mix all ingredients together. I usually add about 1 tbsp of slivered almonds on top.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Pumpkin puree... I guess I better really put pumpkins in the garden this year, finding way more demand for the puree than I can justify buying at $5 per can at the store for.

Thanks for the ideas so far, I also got suggestions of rice pudding... I may just have to try some of the recipes available in Joy of Cooking, thanks for the "Wrap" idea to prevent the skin from forming... surely the "basic" ingredients in some of them are better than the junk in the instant...

Vanilla pudding
    Mix in a heavy saucepan
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 tsp salt
    Stir in 1/4 cup milk making a runny paste
    whisk in 1 3/4 cup milk (totally 2 cups milk between this line and prior)
    Stirring constantly heat until the mixture arrives at a simmer.
    Remove from heat and extract 1/2 cup of the mixture, to mix slowly with 1 large egg beaten...
    Stir back into the original mixture bringing to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute at the boil, stirring constantly.
    Remove again from heat, stir in 1/2 tsp of vanilla.
    Pour into dishes and cover tightly if you don't want the skin to form.

So 1/4 cup sugar
    3 tbsp cornstarch....
    1/4 tsp salt though i may cut that out entirely
    2 cups milk
    1 beaten egg
    and 1/2 tsp of vanilla...

seems healthy enough compared to
    sugar, modified corn starch, corn maltodextrin (more sugar), sodium phosphate, colour, mono and di-glycerides, hydrogenated oils, corn syrup solids and modified milk ingredients.
    Oh yes with the warning that it contains soy (if I'd seen that I'd have not bought this brand, I personally avoid soy when I can)

Chocolate uses either unsweetened chocolate or cocoa with more sugar.. Yeah I'll be trying them instead of the instant stuff. Thanks for the ideas.... open to more too ;)

I didn't notice your recipe...i've never made mine with an egg. I got mine from a vintage 1908 cookbook my grandmother gave me. It's really yummy, but not lowfat or anything. I mostly prefer eating full fat dairy, personally. It's a gorgeous, rich pudding that's great for an occasional treat.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I made one with silken tofu, chia seeds-soaked for 15 minutes in oat milk, maple syrup (which I plan on subbing with half stevia next time) lucuma powder, vanilla and salt. Just put in food processor and chill...was super yummy, tapioca like pudding!
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live or if these exist by you--but my local Aldi sells a can of pumpkin for $0.99. :)
  • rschoen68
    Options
    1 Cup plain Greek yogurt (I make my own, otherwise, Chobani is a good brand)
    1/2. Scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/2 tsp Hershey Special Dark cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla
    1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 packet Stevia

Mix all together and let stand a few minutes to thicken. Yummy!
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've seen something similar posted already- but here's my version.

3/4 cup of fat free plain yogurt
    Cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries- microwaved until bubbling
    Sweetener of your choice if desired (blueberries add a natural sweetness on their own)

I usually will stir the cocoa powder/chocolate protein powder in to the bubbling blueberries until you get a thick consistency. Then go ahead and add the yogurt (and sweetener if you want)! It's so tasty, you don't even need to add sugar because the blueberries are so sweet as is! This is usually depending if I use unsweetened cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder. The protein powder is usually too sweet to add sugar.

only about 200 cals/serving, and it is quite decadent. One of my faves :)
  • glenndanzig
    glenndanzig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    here's a really simple recipe for raw chocolate pudding:

1 avocado, diced
    ¼ c raw agave nectar, or more to taste
    ¼ c cocoa powder
    ¼ c water
    2 t vanilla extract
    ¼ t sea salt
    Place avocado, agave nectar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sea salt in a blender. Gradually add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to achieve a creamy consistency.

it's totally delicious and i've never seen a healthier recipe for pudding. i used a food processor rather than a blender when i made mine. if you like you can add a banana for taste, too!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Jello Brand sugar free cook & serve pudding, my favorite it chocolate. Make it with skim milk and it's pretty low cal . . . I don't have a box in my pantry so I can't tell you the nutritional breakdown. You can eliminate the "skin" that forms on the top of pudding as it cools by covering with plastic wrap and pressing it down on the surface of the pudding. I make my own pudding cups by using the small ziploc plastic sealable mini bowls and keep in the fridge. This way they are all measured out for me and it's easy to grab a sweet, creamy snack that hits the spot.

80 Cals per 1/2 cup serving for the instant kind! I put it in those mini keebler graham cracker crusts for a special treat every once in a while!
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    stevia or other sweetener to taste
    1 teaspoon vanilla

mix all ingredients together. I usually add about 1 tbsp of slivered almonds on top.

This is what I do. Minus the vanilla and slivered almonds. I will have to try it with those additions.:smile:
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    ive been eating the 60 Calorie Jello Sugarfree pudding snacks, they have xyiltol in them though, so if your on a anti artifical sweetner kick they might not be for you.

but they taste like the real mccoy to me.
  • kterkeurst
    Options
    I was told by a good friend to mix a packet of suger free hot chocolate mix with the plain greek yogurt--tastes just like chocolate pudding. I tried it with the Vanilla greek yogurt and it was pretty good. Tried it last night with the Raspberry Greek yogurt and it was really good!!