Gym Help

Options
I work in a school in nottingham and we have just broken up for half term. I have the keys to our gym and promised my self to spend 45mins a time in there everyday i am new to the gym spend all my time doing zumba& the wii. The gym is well equiped has a weight room as well as cardio machines. Can people give me ideas of a routine i should be following for those 45mins?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You are going to get A LOT of different answers. I would recommend buying a book/video/whatever medium helps you learn- and learn the basic movements for each exercise- and what their benefits are. Then evaluate what you want to do and how you want to get there. A little knowledge will benefit you a long way.

As far as plans- I personally do a High Intensity Interval Training- this is not the be all end all for everyone, but then again no program is. Be prepared to do a lot of reading and experiment in the gym- this is the fun part! :D

Have a blast- I'm super jealous- the idea of a whole gym to myself?? You're a lucky duck!
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    So i have just got back from the gym I did 5mins of stretching before i left the house. I then power walked to the gym. Once in the gym i did another 5 mins of stretching my legs and arms managed to plank for 30secs lol then into my workout i started with the machines i know The Tread Mill I did 10 minutes on here because i am new I did 2mins running(6.0) 2minutes walking(3.5-4.0) and so on for ten minutes on incline 1. Then to the bike for 10mins the rowing machine for 5mins&cross trainer for 5mins. I then did 10 reps doing squats with weights i physically couldn't do anymore for my arms not legs - i went on the leg weight machine where you sit& push the platform away from you(sorry don't know machine name) managed 15 reps of that. I then tested out a strange machine that you stand on and it vibrates this seems strange to me anyway. I ended up making it vibrate& doing a minute of squats& trying to hold the position as long as possible. I then stretched out for 15mins before walking back home.Any comments help would be welcome even criticism!

I am 5'9 210lb & trying to work my self back in after finding out i have asthma and being very poorly for two months before xmas but i am commited& would like help. While on the cardio ma machines these told me my heart beat was at 176-180 constant while exercising what should i be aiming for to burn the most fat?
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options

after finding out i have asthma

If you have asthma I would focus on weight training more. I cant do bikes myself but can lift weights and I have found over the years it helps my asthma. I also bellydance now "learning" but am able to do it at least forr cardio with an issue.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Also my newest thing I think Ill be able to pull off is kettlebells. I am starting slow. I got the Amy Bento 3 in 1dvd and a 10 lb weight to start with. I have been lifting however for about 2 weeks now. I tried it a little yesterday and I think I will be fine. You might try it as well. I dont like the looks of the others the kettlebell videos. I am happy with the one I got.
  • loopybec2002
    Options
    I seem to be ok if I take my inhaler before I start exercising.
  • loopybec2002
    Options
    Bump
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I had 45 minutes the other day to work out.

I warmed up on the treadmill @ incline 2- 2min moderate walk, 3 min brisk walk, 4 mins run, 1 min moderate walk: 10 minutes
    Stationary bike - 8 minutes Tabata cycle, 2 minutes level 8 moderate effort: 10 minutes
    Stretching : 5 minutes
    Weights - shoulder press, chest press, bicep curl, tricep extension, chinups, seated row: 15 minutes
    Stretching : 5 minutes

It's IMHO not enough time for stretching so when I am home I make the time to do a few jumping jacks and burpees to warm myself up a bit and do a more thorough and lengthy stretching session focusing on the area I worked the hardest. I also do my core workout at home in the evening before stretching because i hate doing that at the gym *L*