Starting the Atkins diet

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for 3 months and lost 80lbs :)

PSMF?
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've heard that some research suggest tapering to low carbs at night is good but on the flip side, better fat metabolism happens if you close the night out with higher carbs.
    Whats worked for the long timers on here?

For me I dont believe in low carb anything but i'm curious!

What has worked best for me by FAR is lower carbs in the morning.
  • Acg67
    Options
    If thinking about Atkins, consider watching the documentary FatHead. It's pro-low carb, but cautious about Atkins.

And also makes you more ignorant on the subject of nutrition

and all the bs studies you post don't make you ignorant?

And what studies would you be referencing? And comparing the garbage of FatHead vs actual peer reviewed science is 2 totally different things
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    ibbM9azRYd5tQI.gif
  • Acg67
    Options
    If thinking about Atkins, consider watching the documentary FatHead. It's pro-low carb, but cautious about Atkins.

And what studies would you be referencing? And comparing the garbage of FatHead vs actual peer reviewed science is 2 totally different things

haha lets hear this, explain to me how watching fathead would make someone ignorant on nutrition?

That only carbs raise insulin, that carbs = insulin release = fat gain, without once mentioning carbs being used to replenish glycogen or that fact that in a caloric deficit there would be no net fat gain even if carbs are eaten. The lesson of the movie is that eat in a caloric deficit and you can lose weight regardless of what you eat, but then goes to try and demonize carbs
  • Acg67
    Options

haha lets hear this, explain to me how watching fathead would make someone ignorant on nutrition?

That only carbs raise insulin, that carbs = insulin release = fat gain, without once mentioning carbs being used to replenish glycogen or that fact that in a caloric deficit there would be no net fat gain even if carbs are eaten. The lesson of the movie is that eat in a caloric deficit and you can lose weight regardless of what you eat, but then goes to try and demonize carbs

So I should call you ignorant for your ASP comments, stating that ASP plays a bigger contributor to fat gain than insulin?

Do tell where I said that
  • Acg67
    Options
    I was trying to find it, but i think it was that topic that turned over, 500 comments, and then got deleted. The one that went on all day. It doesn't matter really, It's just not right what you say to people. There are other ways then to criticize them. I am sure there was a time when you where still learning. I can name call you on so many levels, because I know things you don't know (not in regards to nutrition/fitness) everyone has to start from some where.

Give me an example then of where i said something not right
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I started the Atkins diet two days ago and I got on the scale today and it says I lost 2 pounds in two days! I have been counting calories and exercising like crazy for three weeks and I haven't been able to lose anything and now I am finally losing.

I tried this diet a year ago and lost ten pounds in two weeks. It's a great diet for quick weight loss, but it's hard to keep it off after the initial induction phase. But people have done it. I went to a forum called lowcarber and looked at success stories of people who stayed on the atkins diet and lost tons of weight!

I know there are a lot of naysayers out there when it comes to this diet, so that's fine. I expect to be blasted on this thread. But it's a tried and true method of losing weight, (as long as you stick with it) and I'm going to try to stick with it. If I can't, I can't, but after all the work I am doing, I am happy to finally be getting results.

So for all of you who are ready to give up, try this diet. Just google it.
    If you have any doubt at all on sticking with it (meaning you're going to eat ice cream, cake, and carbs) then why bother? Why not just do a lifestyle that you know you can stick with and still lose weight by eating what you like to eat?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67
    Options
    I was trying to find it, but i think it was that topic that turned over, 500 comments, and then got deleted. The one that went on all day. It doesn't matter really, It's just not right what you say to people. There are other ways then to criticize them. I am sure there was a time when you where still learning. I can name call you on so many levels, because I know things you don't know (not in regards to nutrition/fitness) everyone has to start from some where.

Give me an example then of where i said something not right

"And also makes you more ignorant on the subject of nutrition ",

"Strong reading comprehension, now go back and read the post "

there are many others and you know this...

1 is true and when you asked me to substantiate it, I did

2 I believe that in response to someone saying the post was bashing the paleo diet and yet there wasn't a hint of that in the actual post, so also true.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    i posted on my wall about your paleo study, which i don't agree with, a lot of people said the same thing about you, one even said "acg is like a high school kid with his group of bullies"

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    PU_239, you're wasting your breath arguing with this guy. He comes to low-carb and Atkins posts to incite people. His truth are his studies. I can respect that. To each his own.
    My truth are my studies, which confirm to me that following a low-carb diet is the right path for me. Also, all the anecdotal evidence that I gain from reading people's low carb success stories do more to convince me that this is the best way for me.
  • Acg67
    Options
    PU_239, you're wasting your breath arguing with this guy. He comes to low-carb and Atkins posts to incite people. His truth are his studies. I can respect that. To each his own.
    My truth are my studies, which confirm to me that following a low-carb diet is the right path for me. Also, all the anecdotal evidence that I gain from reading people's low carb success stories do more to convince me that this is the best way for me.

How come you don't comment on the low carbers that correct people who say carbs are essential or that low carb diets are dangerous? Or is it when a low carber corrects someone, that's ok, but for someone to correct a low carber it's "inciting"?
  • Acg67
    Options

How come you don't comment on the low carbers that correct people who say carbs are essential or that low carb diets are dangerous? Or is it when a low carber corrects someone, that's ok, but for someone to correct a low carber it's "inciting"?

What do you feel is wrong with low carbers??

Nothing at all, do you have any evidence or you're going to continue making baseless claims?
  • Acg67
    Options

What do you feel is wrong with low carbers??

Nothing at all, do you have any evidence or you're going to continue making baseless claims?

Evidence for what? I rather make claims based on logic then inaccurate BS studies.

What studies are you talking about?
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Evidence for what? I rather make claims based on logic then inaccurate BS studies.

40oz_laugh_in_tub.gif
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There is no secret to losing weight. It all boils down to burning more calories than you take in, whether those calories come in carbs, fats, or proteins.

Actually, there is a secret! When you lower your carbs, you usually up your fat and protein. When you eat more fat and protein, you feel full and tend to eat less calories!
    Conversely, if you're only tracking your calories and exercising more, you feel hungry more often and faster, making it easier to cheat.
    IMO.

Based on an individuals preference. It can vary from person to person, but in the end it still comes down to burning more calories than you take in no matter if you eat carbs or not. You can cut all the carbs you want out of your diet, but if you are still eating 3000 calories a day of proteins and fats, you are going to have a hard time losing weight.

well when I was on it I lost 60 lbs....and I ate alot......it was ketoacidosis that caused the weight loss.
    You mean ketones or being in ketosis. Ketoacidosis is what diabetics have when they have large amounts of ketones, so much more than you would have when just dieting.
  • Acg67
    Options
    There is no secret to losing weight. It all boils down to burning more calories than you take in, whether those calories come in carbs, fats, or proteins.

Actually, there is a secret! When you lower your carbs, you usually up your fat and protein. When you eat more fat and protein, you feel full and tend to eat less calories!
    Conversely, if you're only tracking your calories and exercising more, you feel hungry more often and faster, making it easier to cheat.
    IMO.

Based on an individuals preference. It can vary from person to person, but in the end it still comes down to burning more calories than you take in no matter if you eat carbs or not. You can cut all the carbs you want out of your diet, but if you are still eating 3000 calories a day of proteins and fats, you are going to have a hard time losing weight.

well when I was on it I lost 60 lbs....and I ate alot......it was ketoacidosis that caused the weight loss.
    You mean ketones or being in ketosis. Ketoacidosis is what diabetics have when they have large amounts of ketones, so much more than you would have when just dieting.

martinah4 going to now comment on her inciting things or actually correcting someone to the benefit of everyone is alright?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've heard that some research suggest tapering to low carbs at night is good but on the flip side, better fat metabolism happens if you close the night out with higher carbs.

You remind me of another study that had study participants eat carbs at night only and had better weight loss. Need to find the link.
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/carbohydrates-past-6pm-will-make-you.html

Oops I misread your comment.
  • Acg67
    Options

You remind me of another study that had study participants eat carbs at night only and had better weight loss. Need to find the link.

Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity, 2011 Apr 7.

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v19/n10/full/oby201148a.html
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Oct;19(10):2006-14. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.48. Epub 2011 Apr 7.
    Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner.
    Sofer S, Eliraz A, Kaplan S, Voet H, Fink G, Kima T, Madar Z.
    Source

The Robert H. Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, Institute of Biochemistry and Food Science, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel.
    Abstract

This study was designed to investigate the effect of a low-calorie diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner on anthropometric, hunger/satiety, biochemical, and inflammatory parameters. Hormonal secretions were also evaluated. Seventy-eight police officers (BMI >30) were randomly assigned to experimental (carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner) or control weight loss diets for 6 months. On day 0, 7, 90, and 180 blood samples and hunger scores were collected every 4 h from 0800 to 2000 hours. Anthropometric measurements were collected throughout the study. Greater weight loss, abdominal circumference, and body fat mass reductions were observed in the experimental diet in comparison to controls. Hunger scores were lower and greater improvements in fasting glucose, average daily insulin concentrations, and homeostasis model assessment for insulin resistance (HOMA(IR)), T-cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, C-reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), and interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels were observed in comparison to controls. The experimental diet modified daily leptin and adiponectin concentrations compared to those observed at baseline and to a control diet. A simple dietary manipulation of carbohydrate distribution appears to have additional benefits when compared to a conventional weight loss diet in individuals suffering from obesity. It might also be beneficial for individuals suffering from insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome. Further research is required to confirm and clarify the mechanisms by which this relatively simple diet approach enhances satiety, leads to better anthropometric outcomes, and achieves improved metabolic response, compared to a more conventional dietary approach.

Edit D'oh! Ninja'd.