Losing weight with lower intesity workouts

Options
So with everthing I am reading and trainers are telling me, high intensity workouts is the way to go for losing weight.... high EPOC will yield better results.

I am wondering if there are a lot of people that are doing more lower to moderate intensity acitvities and still losing weight. I'd love to hear your stories.

I truly believe in high intensity workouts, but I have MS and have realized that if I kill it in the gym I am wiped out for a number of days. I'm sure it's an MS thing, and I need to pace myself better. So I am re-evaluating how I exercise to be the most successful.

Thanks!

Replies

• jpapale
    Options
    You gotta do what is right for you and not do anything that is going to be hurtful to yourself :)

I have issues with a treadmill. I can never seem to RUN on it. I hurts my ankles when I do. My husband always encourages me by reminding me to turn the incline up instead of the speed. As he says "it takes more energy to walk up a hill than on flat ground". I find that if I slow it down to a good brisk pace with a higher incline, it does well. It might not give results as quickly as if I were running the same distance, but it still gives results and keeps me at a comfortable place and not sore or too wiped out.

Hope this helps.... just think something is better than nothing :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I was really upset training for a marathon and gaining weight. Then I learned that most of that weight was water retention due to inflammation. My body (especially joints) does better with longer, lower intensity weights and walk/running. Though lately time has been at a premium, so I've been doing more intense aerobic-weight videos.

You DO burn more calories per session if that session is more intense, but one problem I have with going too intense is that not only does it stress my joints but I get SO hungry I have a hard time controlling my calories.

I don't think there's no "one size fits all" recipe.