Advice....

Options
Hi.. I just got my new HRM and used it for the first time today. I weigh 190 lbs and am 5'4", it said that I burned 513 cals while I was running/walking on the treadmill. I ran at about 5.8 (I change my speed from anywhere between 6.5 to 5.3 during the course of the run) for 1.2 miles and then walked at 3.5 for 1 mile. Does that sound about right? I don't want to over-log my exercise calories.

Any advice is much appreciated!! Thanks!! :)

Replies

• Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi.. I just got my new HRM and used it for the first time today. I weigh 190 lbs and am 5'4", it said that I burned 513 cals while I was running/walking on the treadmill. I ran at about 5.8 (I change my speed from anywhere between 6.5 to 5.3 during the course of the run) for 1.2 miles and then walked at 3.5 for 1 mile. Does that sound about right? I don't want to over-log my exercise calories.

Any advice is much appreciated!! Thanks!! :)
  • Living4Me
    Living4Me Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but ... Good Job!!!:smile:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That sounds reasonable to me, I burn anywhere from 250 to 450 calories doing a fast walk for 30 - 45 min, so it doesn't sound too far off the mark for me. I do know that as soon as I started using my HRM to calculate calories burned, and started eating them all back, I stopped dropping weight. I was really underestimating my calories with online calculators and the gym, but for some reason eating all the exercise cals back isin't right for me. My 2 cents would be to eat back maybe half of your exercise cals if you are getting a big increase in exercise cals using your HRM. Hope that helps!
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    That sounds reasonable to me, I burn anywhere from 250 to 450 calories doing a fast walk for 30 - 45 min, so it doesn't sound too far off the mark for me. I do know that as soon as I started using my HRM to calculate calories burned, and started eating them all back, I stopped dropping weight. I was really underestimating my calories with online calculators and the gym, but for some reason eating all the exercise cals back isin't right for me. My 2 cents would be to eat back maybe half of your exercise cals if you are getting a big increase in exercise cals using your HRM. Hope that helps!

Thanks for your help...
  • gperry227
    gperry227 Posts: 93
    Options
    For some reason or another, if I dont eat my exercise calories, my weight either stays the same or I gain. If I eat my exercise cals, it drops. I thought this was a fluke, but it happens time and time again. Not sure why.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My HRM says I only burn about 250 cal. on a 40 minute run...but I weigh less and run at about a 5.5.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Your calories burned sound about right - I have a pedometer programmed with my weight, etc. that tells me calories burned.
    Good work!