Lol your life, vanity sizing.

Options

Replies

• SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Anyway... I'm roughly an Aus 16... Yet I fit into a size "10" skirt from one store. Deceptive lot, those designers!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I bought "small" yoga pants at Walmart. I'm 5'9", 160lbs and have 40" hips. A small? They sold no extra small. There are a LOT of women smaller than I am. I guess these women need to start shopping in the kids section?
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I bought two shirts from the same store, one in Small and one in Extra Large. They both fit me the same.

Tell me about it. I got a top the other day in a medium which fits. Same store, different top size XL was too small :grumble:
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! If I hear Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 one more time, I'm going to post a picture of MY size 14 *kitten*! :laugh:

"Her measurements were recorded by her dressmaker as 36-23-37 and sometimes fluctuated between that and 36-24-37."

http://the-lovely-marilyn-monroe.popsugar.com/What-Marilyns-REAL-size-Models-today-VS-Marilyn-Monroe-144140

Wasn't she like a UK 14? that would make sense, about a USA 10?
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I dony care what number I am, just so o don't have to take one of each size into the fitting room, how are you supposed to guess?

Know your measurements and read labels :wink:

I know my measurements, the problem is the clothing don't know theirs. Lol I can never find charts for them.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's the same with men's clothes.
    And it's ABSURD!
    I tried on 32 pants and they fit - lol

I barely fit in 34 with my fat drooling over the sides like rancid pudding.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There is a standard size for womens clothes:

UK 8 10 12 14 16
    USA 6 8 10 12 14
    Continental 36 38 40 42 44
    Japanese 7 9 11 13 15

Bust 32" 34" 36" 38" 40"
    Waist 24" 26" 28" 30" 32"
    61cm 66cm 71cm 76cm 81cm
    Hip 35" 37" 39" 41" 43"
    89cm 94cm 99cm 104cm 109cm

they just rarely ever stick to it because so few people actually know what the sizing guidelines are.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I dony care what number I am, just so o don't have to take one of each size into the fitting room, how are you supposed to guess?

Know your measurements and read labels :wink:

I know my measurements, the problem is the clothing don't know theirs. Lol I can never find charts for them.

Oh well that sucks :frown: Over here the size labels include "To fit waist xx-xx" and so on.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! If I hear Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 one more time, I'm going to post a picture of MY size 14 *kitten*! :laugh:

"Her measurements were recorded by her dressmaker as 36-23-37 and sometimes fluctuated between that and 36-24-37."

http://the-lovely-marilyn-monroe.popsugar.com/What-Marilyns-REAL-size-Models-today-VS-Marilyn-Monroe-144140

Wasn't she like a UK 14? that would make sense, about a USA 10?

I'm in the US, and have only ever heard my US friends saying that so I think it's safe to assume they mean. US 14, not UK or Aus. But US sizes have inflated dramatically since her time. So she probably was a US 14 then. Definitely not now!
  • birdieintx
    Options
    If you have ever tried on vintage clothes you know that an old size 14 is not the same at all as today's size 14, it's much much smaller. Also realize that photos of Marilyn have not been photo shopped to death like photos of today's models and actresses.

I agree with y'all sizing is so subjective. I have smalls through extra larges in my closet, size six pants through size ten pants. I try not to get hung up on the size of stuff I buy because it can really make you feel like crap.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad to be out of the plus size range. It was emotionally hard to not know on a given outfit whether I would be trying on a 1X or a 3X.

Now that I have left the pluses definitively behind, I am trying to enjoy the randomness of clothes sizing. My sizes are all over the map. I went to a consignment store the other day looking for interim black pants. I found nice designer pants that fit ranging from size 8 to size 12. I selected the 10 because I didn't have to hem them. I also got two jackets that fit perfectly. The Tahari was 16P and the Karen Kane was a size 12. Thank goodness I have found a good tailor.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    OK. lets get the Marilyn thing straight. She was a 1950s size 14 - she has a 23 inch waist - she was small. I'm a vintage size 20, I have a 30 inch waist. Sizes were different in the 50s.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I know it's easier said than done, because we all like the smaller numbers, whether it be on the scale or with clothes sizes, but I guess we should just buy what fits. But it sucks when I am wearing a 14 now that fit great, and I have 12's that fit great, too. Which one would I rather wear?? lol And then some 14's are so freaking baggy!
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options

AMEN!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't get hung up on "I'm a size ___"--it's impossible to tell anymore. If it fits and looks good, I'm buying it, haha.

My thoughts exactly! I've got 44" hips and 27" waist too! (As of Jan.31st) I've lost a few lbs since then but that's not the point. I know exactly where you're coming from! My Kenneth Cole wool peacoat is a size 4! LOL I wear a size 6 on average up top, but down below, I'm a 10-12. Ugh, it's frustrating.

Depending on the fabric of an item, it varies as you said in your orig. post. Dresses are sizes smaller than my pants in my closet.
    Jeans - well, shoot, that's another story!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    OK. lets get the Marilyn thing straight. She was a 1950s size 14 - she has a 23 inch waist - she was small. I'm a vintage size 20, I have a 30 inch waist. Sizes were different in the 50s.

Just for clarification, I never meant that she was a modern 14 - I am just tired of women using that line as a means to compare their being a 14 in today's sizes! :smile:
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I bought two pairs of jeans, both from different places but both sit the same place on my hips. One is a UK16 and the other is a UK12. The 16's are smaller than the 12's.

I get so pi$$ed off with this. I have 2 pairs of jeans, both from New Look, both the same cut. One pair are an UK 18 & one pair are an UK 20. They both fit the same.:angry:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

HAHA, right? That quote irritates me to no end.

I think when they say Marilyn was a size 14 or 16 I think they mean a British size - at least that is what I have always assumed...which to US/Canadian standards is like a size 10 or 12...which makes more sense. She did have some extra cushioning in the beginning of her career, definitely in comparsion to today's models and actresses...but she wasn't plus size.

I know someone who makes vintage clothes and collects old sewing patterns to make them. If you compare the measurements on the back of old patterns to measurements on new patterns, they are quite different. We discussed the Marilyn size issue and she told me that a size 14 in the 50's/60's has comparable measurements to sizes 6 and 8 today. So, by today's vanity sizing standards, Marilyn would be about a size 6 or 8 if she were alive today.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    im a size 0 or 00 with at least a 35 pound allowance either way XD its cuz I'm short :3
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes make no sense for me. I have pants that are a 6 and fit like a glove and pants that are a 4 and practically falling off. Of course, pants are a big enough challenge for me as it is because I have a very small torso and comparatively big hips.