"You Can't Out Exercise A Bad Diet"

Hey all:)
I'm sure many of you have heard this countless times. I'm a bit confused however. Because, as I browse the forums, I'm seeing more and more posts which state that it doesn't matter what you eat - that it's all about calories in, calories out. Now, I don't know about you guys, but to me that sounds like it completely contradicts everything I've heard about eating healthy.. If diet really makes up 80% importance in a weight loss plan, I'd figure that also means it's not all about having a calorie deficit..
I understand that if I were to use up my 1320 daily calories (plus exercise cals) on 5 donuts, I would constantly be craving sugar and would feel tired and never fully satisfied, but wouldn't it also affect my hips and thighs to have so much simple sugar? Even though it wouldn't exceed daily cal allowance? There's got to be an explanation for this. Lol I hope this made sense. :)

Replies

• cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    My favorite quote about that is

"If it were as easy as calories-in-calories-out, then it would be that easy"

Dr. Kattouf's nutrition webinar. balanced meals, timing, sleep, hydration, etc are also important
    teamkattouf.com
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Weight loss might well be as simple as calories in vs calories out, but weight alone is not the be all and end all of health. If you ate nothing but McD's but exercised all the excess cals off, you'd have a good chance to still be unhealthy.
  • hi.

i think its all to do with how your body processes whats in the food - sugar will raise your blood glucose levels sky high and leave u craving more,

if you only ate 5 doughnuts a day u would eventually be taken to hospital with malnourishment.

protein stays in the stomach longer as it is made up of more molecules which takes the body longer to digest & therefore leaves u fuller for longer.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I understand that if I were to use up my 1320 daily calories (plus exercise cals) on 5 donuts, I would constantly be craving sugar and would feel tired and never fully satisfied, but wouldn't it also affect my hips and thighs to have so much simple sugar? Even though it wouldn't exceed daily cal allowance? There's got to be an explanation for this. Lol I hope this made sense. :)

You have already arrived at the correct conclusion. What you eat is important.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    good nutrition usually means more energy.....more energy the more likely you will work out and it gets a nice synergy thing going on.

also...better nutrition....better skin and hair....its all good
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I have lost over 30 lbs in less then 6 months and have been maintaining since, just eating healthier. I do not exercise. Could I be healthier if I exercised, maybe, but at 56 I'm doing ok. I needed to eat healthier first and not rely on exercise because like most people I would never stick with it long term.
    I believe it's healthy calories in, calories out. This is what worked for me.
  • If you eat as much vegetables as you could all day every day then I seriously doubt you could put on weight. You'd be literally eating all day long. Of course add a little meat to that and it's easier, add fats and sugars and it's much easier... too easy in fact. Bare in mind that your body requires a daily dose of vitamins and minerals that you're unlikely to find in a chocolate bar.

The phrase "you can't out exercise a bad diet" really depends on what you mean by bad, if you mean high calories then you can out exercise it, if you mean eating crap all day and forgetting what a vegetable tastes like then no, you'll end up hurting yourself lol
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    There's a lot of factors that go into dieting.
    But 1300 calories is 1300 calories, strictly speaking. Whether it all comes in beer, donuts, or organic vegetables, the calorie God doesn't care.
    Our bodies care however. It seems like successful weight loss occurs when people eat a reasonably healthy diet, stay hydrated, get some exercise, and keep their head in a good place.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    I'm sure many of you have heard this countless times. I'm a bit confused however. Because, as I browse the forums, I'm seeing more and more posts which state that it doesn't matter what you eat - that it's all about calories in, calories out. Now, I don't know about you guys, but to me that sounds like it completely contradicts everything I've heard about eating healthy.. If diet really makes up 80% importance in a weight loss plan, I'd figure that also means it's not all about having a calorie deficit..

Calories in -v- calories out are very important however, I fully agree with you, what is just as important is WHAT you eat.

I know what you mean about craving sugar after eating, say, five doughnuts too, cannot agree more.

Fat being stored on your hips and thighs are what would affect them though and that would happen when somebody takes in excess calories. That extra energy needs to be stored somewhere in the body and it is done so as fat.

However, if a person were to just eat doughnuts in the day, but stay below their allowance, the body will not have excess energy and will have nothing to store, therefore it will not be laid down as fat on thighs and hips.

Unfortunately, eating nothing but junk food, even if the person stays under their daily allowance, will result in starvation of their body - not starvation mode, but starvation. Their bodies will be bereft of nutrition, they will become low in minerals and vitamins, protein would fall to a dangerous level and the body will eventually be unable to make even the most basic repairs to itself.

Nutritional education, there sure is a lot more to it than just fulfilling the daily calorie allowance, that's for sure.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Funny you brought this subject up because I heard recently that this might not be the case. The Study (and if i can find it i'll post) which followed a couple of hundred thousand people over the last 30 years or so, showed that exercise trumpted diet in all repects. It showed obese individuals that ate poorly that exercised regularily to be in better overall health that people that ate healthier but didn't exercise. that was only 1 point of the many.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member

Would sugar affect your hips and thighs? Nope. As far as eating what you want but staying in a calorie deficit, there are two caveats. 1. The type of weight you lose is influenced by your macro-nutritional composition and training regiment and 2. your body requires micro-nutrient sufficiency.

If you can achieve both macro and micro nutrient sufficiency through your diet, you can eat pretty much anything and lose weight.
  • I believe that it has to be good calories in & out w/o exercise however,if u r eating badly there is no way just working out will change and keep the weight off unless u r already maintaining your goal weight. If losing weight is what u r trying to do then the healthier the food the better for u & ur achievements.