Buying new running shoes today!!!

Options
Suggestions?!?!

My mom gave me $100 for new shoes so I want to stay below that. She was making up for the bad Christmas present of ShapeUps! Two runs in those and I pulled a hamstring! YUCK!

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to a running store and have them look at your feet and they'll be able to suggest the best type for your feet :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them fit you.
    You'll get a better fit that way.
    And I don't mean a Finishline or Footlocker but a legit running store (like Fleet Feet)
  • Jakolin
    Jakolin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey looking myself, got a pair of shape ups and they are a waste of time, if you find anything half decent keep us posted as want to keep my price low.
  • Jakolin
    Jakolin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    what would you suggest if there are no shoe fitting stores in your area.
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    If you can, go to a running store and have them look at your feet and they'll be able to suggest the best type for your feet :)

I'll second that. It's what I did.

Though I recently tried on those new Skechers "Go Run" shoes, and I have to say they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on... might be getting myself a pair soon.
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    btw, I had a podiatrist at work tell me that the "shape-ups" are horrible for your feet.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    As PP's have suggested ... you really need to go to a specialty store to get properly fitted. They will measure your foot, discuss the type of running you have planned, and analyze your gait.

You'll try on several pairs and they'll have you run in each pair (either on a treadmill or in their parking lot).

While you're there, get some good socks. They're worth their weight in gold, too.

Have fun!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I'll second that. It's what I did.

Though I recently tried on those new Skechers "Go Run" shoes, and I have to say they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on... might be getting myself a pair soon.

Aah, but there's a huge difference between comfort and proper support! Gotta take care of those feet and knees! :)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    New Balance and Asics are my favorite brands. I agree getting fitted at a running store is your best bet but you will not get anything for under $100 at most of those places.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i like nike free runs..I dont run...but i think they are cute and people i know that run really like them.
  • helenkayj
    helenkayj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As PP's have suggested ... you really need to go to a specialty store to get properly fitted. They will measure your foot, discuss the type of running you have planned, and analyze your gait.

You'll try on several pairs and they'll have you run in each pair (either on a treadmill or in their parking lot).

While you're there, get some good socks. They're worth their weight in gold, too.

Have fun!
    I've heard socks are extremely important! Someone said that cotton socks are a no-no but I have some Nike socks that have been really comfortable so far (longest run 7 miles).
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Everyone's feet are so different. You really have to try on and make sure you go to a store where they know how to fit you. I have wide feet and bought asiics gel keyano as they have a wider toe box. Love them and am on my 4th pair.
  • k8kish
    k8kish Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to the Running store, but I'd recommend it if you're unsure about your arch or pronation. I found tools online, like the Shoe Advisor from Runner's World, to be pretty helpful in assessing my needs. And then I went to a regular store with the model of Asics I wanted in mind. I love them. I have really flat feet and I walk on the outside edges of them, so the wear on my shoes-particularly flats- is all on the outside edges. I bought a pair of motion control shoes that have arch support to cushion my feet where I need it, and keep them from rolling outward when I run. I love them!
  • Stephaniededeyan
    Stephaniededeyan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Suggestions?!?!

My mom gave me $100 for new shoes so I want to stay below that. She was making up for the bad Christmas present of ShapeUps! Two runs in those and I pulled a hamstring! YUCK!

Oh my goodness you aren't suppose to run with shape-ups (or any type of other "toning" sneakers)
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I attempted to buy new shoes yesterday... so frustrating! I went to a store that was supposedly going to help guide me, but she didn't have a clue! Anyway - after trying on several pairs, I came back to the same brand/style that I currently have... but my what a new shoe feels like... NICE!! I like the Reebok RealFlex. I also was looking at the Reebok Zig Extreme. Only trouble... they didn't have my size in any of the colors that I liked. Came home to look online and am not having much luck. So, today - I am headed back to buy the RealFlex in a color that I'm not so fond of and then will have them order the Zig's in the color that I do like! Can't beat having a 15% off coupon - so I am gonna buy both pairs!

Funny what being committed to exercise (LOVE IT) can cost ya!

Oh -- and on the socks... HUGE difference! I just spent $12 on a pair of runner's socks - with the extra padding on the heel and ball of foot, because I don't have a lot of padding on the bottoms of my feet and the balls of my feet have been aching in my current shoes... (they have needed to be replaced for about a month now...) They are WONDERFUL! I didn't think that a pair of socks could be worth that cost (thank heavens for Amazon Prime, I'd have been mad if I had to pay shipping on top of that) - but I am happy to report that I was wrong. Happy - only in the sense that it wasn't a waste of money, but not so happy that I may now want to order more! LOL.
  • dyremior
    Options
    I have had several pairs of Asics 2150, several of the women in my exercise class including the instructor wear them also. What I love about them is that they have stabilization that keep your feet from turning, keeps them from pronating or going the other way.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them fit you.
    You'll get a better fit that way.
    And I don't mean a Finishline or Footlocker but a legit running store (like Fleet Feet)

^ Yes! They watch you walk/run & fit you for no extra charge. They are super nice too. They will give you what you want. For instance she brought out Nike's for me & I told her I don't like Nike shoes at all (they have always fit me weird) so she just went & pulled a few other brands. The prices weren't jacked up either. The shoes I bought were within $5 of what the internet price was so I didn't feel ripped off or anything. I'd tell them up front what your price range is.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Oh -- and on the socks... HUGE difference! I just spent $12 on a pair of runner's socks - with the extra padding on the heel and ball of foot, because I don't have a lot of padding on the bottoms of my feet and the balls of my feet have been aching in my current shoes...

^ This also. Running socks are a great investment. I also use Champion Dry Fit socks from Target. They're not that padded like a running sock but they keep my feet dry & they're cost effective.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I will echo what everyone else has said, go to a specialty store and get your gait analyzed. Get the right shoes! :smile:
  • shellyhef1
    Options
    I went to a running shoe store (Fleet Feet), and had them fit me for what was best for my foot. I purchased a pair of Saucony shoes. So far, so good. It isn't about what the shoe looks like, it is how well it fits!!