How many times do you workout and how long for in a week

Options
Hi all
I'm just interested how long does everyone workout for and how many times do you do this a week. I workout about 4-5 times a week wiv a 30-40 min dvd workout each time or sometimes walk for about and hr in the week a couple of times Im just wondering if I'm doin enough or do I need to do more I started my diet 3 jan 2012 and I have lost 15lbs so far, got. A weigh in 2mz so hopefully more.

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Most days I push myself for 7 days a week. Most work outs about 30-50 minutes depending on what I am doing. I usually do some strength with weights and resistance bands, squats, some exercises with a yoga ball, ab crunches and always the treadmill for cardio. It works for me.

Some might say I work out too much some might say it's fine. For me it makes me feel good to work out everyday and the fact that I actually CAN as in physically, it's amazing to me. When I was heavier I felt winded 5-10 minutes in. It was awful.

Really, I am just trying to get my heart going, build up more endurance to the cardio and some light strength. I personally do not want to build big bulky muscle because I don't want that body builder look.
  • XxKeNnYxX
    XxKeNnYxX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually go to they gym atleast mon.- thurs. about 90 minutes each day. Cardio 30-40 minutes then weights. My next goal is to start jogging 30 minutes a day on weekends.
  • deethinner
    deethinner Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I work out 3 days then 1 day off. Only cuz my husband says you have to let your muscles rest a day. But I do 60 to 80 mins. on the treadmil, crunches on a exercise ball and then in the evening while watching tv I have a exercise hula hoop that I use for about 10 to 15 mins.
    But you sound like whatever you are doing is great cuz you are losing weight.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    In general I do 90 minutes of cardio with 30 minutes of resistance 6 days a week.
    I rest resistance Tuesday and cardio every 10 days or so.
    My resistance is lower weights but high reps, then heavy every 3rd workout.
    And I split my body into 3 muscle groups:
    1. Legs
    2. Chest- triceps - shoulders
    3. Arms - back
    I do a lot of weird things for cardio like military march, boxing type training,
    dancing, floor rolls, squat thrust intervals and the good ole jumping jack.
    And I jog, swim, play tennis, fast walk and bike.

Lost 70lbs and nearly 20% body fat - it works for me.
  • kristal_1973
    kristal_1973 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do about 25 minutes of resistance training 4 days a week and cardio (at least 45 minutes but sometimes up to 2 hours) 6 days a week.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    6 days a week Some days I walk/run for about 45 -60 min, the days I don't run I do a Zumba DVD which is usually about 60 min. After I do JM which her DVDs are like 30 min Some days I do two of them and some days I do one. So about 1 hour and half to 2 hours.
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    i make sure i do a minimum of 30mins walking a day with my double pram, i do exercise dvd or wii game 4times a week, a jog twice a week and exercise bike 6days a week with one rest day. on here i try to have above 60mins exercise a day with at least 400cals burnt :happy:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Five days per week. Workout for two, take one day off, workout for three, take a day off.

Each session starts with a 45 minute power-walk on a treadmill where I burn over 500 calories each time. Then I do sit-ups to work more on my core.

Then each day is alternated on whether or not I work upper body, or lower body.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym 3 times a week for an hour and a half to two hours.

Cardio is now optional for me also, but I still get a 20-30 min session once a week.
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    4x week and one hour
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do about 60 mins of cardio about 5/6 days a week and depending on how my shoulder feels, I do some weight training.
  • HelloRevvie
    Options
    I do at least 30 minutes everyday. 7 days a week. If I'm off work or I have extra time, I'll do an hour :) Normally on the treadmill, elliptical, or going for a walk.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I aim to do cardio at least 2 times a week and strength training 3 times a week.

I play soccer, volleyball in college or if I have off from college I just go outside and jog. If it's too cold or too hot out, I use the treadmill and aim for 60 minutes each session. That gives me a 500-700 cal burn. I try to squeeze a little HIIT (Tabata) each week, unless I am occupied then it's the only form of exercise I can do.

Started strength training only recently using dumbbells and barbell. Split my workout into 3 days, 2 for upper body and 1 lower body training.
    And I keep my protein levels high!
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week --at least 55 minutes each time
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. I do 30-50 minutes of cardio and 30-40 minutes of strength each day.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Mon-Thur. an hour of Jazzercise, (love me some dancing)
    Friday rest , sometimes swim
    Sat. jazzercise, weight training and Tai Chi
    Sunday Jazzercise and walk 3miles around the lake.
    I'm 61 and have gone from 230 pounds to 177 so far.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I do about 45 mins 3-4 days a week, but am looking to increase that a few days. 20 mins cardio and the rest weight/strength training. I am also going to start a zumba class next week, to get more of an aerobic workout as well :)
  • bstoetzer
    Options
    Tuesday and Thursday mornings for an hour with personal trainer. Monday - Thursday evenings I do cardio for at least an hour. Depending on my schedule I may do extra cardio/weight training days on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm just interested how long does everyone workout for and how many times do you do this a week. I workout about 4-5 times a week wiv a 30-40 min dvd workout each time or sometimes walk for about and hr in the week a couple of times Im just wondering if I'm doin enough or do I need to do more I started my diet 3 jan 2012 and I have lost 15lbs so far, got. A weigh in 2mz so hopefully more.

I think you're on the right track. I didn't see if your diary was public, but as long as you are getting at least 1200 net cals each day and don't feel run down and wore out, it seems to be working for you. 1-2# loss per week is all you really want. Slow and gradual will help keep the weight off in the long run.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I run 4 days a week. Right now I am training for some 1/2 marathons so I run 5-6 miles 3 of those days and I am building up my long runs 1 day a week. This week I am due to do a 10 miler. I work 3 12 hour shifts at a very physical job. i wear my fitbit to work and normally get my 10,000 and upwards depending on if I am circulating nurse or a scrub nurse. I also walk the stairs at work on break and if there is any downtime.