Ab jam - Literally

Options
Yesterday I was doing the Turbo jam Ab-Jam when all of the sudden I had a muscle spasm from hell. It was on the right side just under my ribcage. It felt like a charlie horse! The pain was intense and the muscle was completely locked-up. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Any suggestions on what to do. I was plenty warm since I had already done one of the 20 min workouts.
The same thing happened a few weeks ago when I was sitting on the floor playing with my son. I could not get up and had to roll over onto my belly until the muscle relaxed.
I can't just skip my ab workouts.

Replies

• dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you working out abs everyday? Overwork or lack of rest on that muscle group can cause a problem.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    That workout is hard for me. I have yet to make it all the way through. I think I'm really weak in the core.

Anyway, if you are spasming, you should stop working that area until it gets better. If it doesn't get better in a week or so, see a doctor.
  • bscrimger
    Options
    Be sure it's not your gall bladder.
  • vickijank
    vickijank Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love Ab Jam!

I've been doing a lot of abs lately (not necessary Ab Jam just abs in general). I've been having spasms (kind of like a fluttering) but I would have to agree that it's probably from over work. Ab Jam definitely gets at your core.

If it persists I would definitely go see you doctor but, I would give your abs a break first :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Are you working out abs everyday? Overwork or lack of rest on that muscle group can cause a problem.

Unlike legs and arms, abs can be worked out everyday. However it doesn't mean they can't be strained or worse.
    See how you feel tomorrow.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder was removed years ago. Its a muscle spasm for sure. :(
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Unlike legs and arms, abs can be worked out everyday. However it doesn't mean they can't be strained or worse.
    See how you feel tomorrow.

Really? I am not a fitness expert (trust me), but I am surprised to hear that. I would think that the muscles need rest and recovery just like any other muscle group.