substitute for black beans?

Options
fiberartist219
fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
I've seen quite a few recipes that look good, but they involve black beans. For whatever reason, I can't digest these things. I can eat other kinds of beans, but black beans give me symptoms that you don't want to know about. It is really gross.

So, if I were to replace them with another kind of bean, what kind should it be? For example, when paired with corn, what would be good? Part of me wants to say pinto beans, but they just aren't the same. Would kidney beans work?

Are there any bean connoisseurs on MFP that care to give advice on this subject?

Replies

• ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just use kidney beans if you can't digest black beans...they're the most similar in my opinion.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Or adzuki beans (tiny mottled red). They hold their shape really well and are easy to digest.
  • dethjester
    dethjester Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just try any of them, and see what suits you. I wouldn't call myself an expert but there are a multitude of bean types out there, and I think they are all fairly interchangable. Chick peas (garbanzo beans) have always been a nice substitute for other beans, just need to change up your spices and flavors to suit the bean!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I love Cannellini beans - they taste great and I think would swap out beautifully in any recipe for black beans!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Jelly beans!
  • Kendrawinn
    Options
    Jelly beans!

LOL....
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Are you using canned beans? Or dry?
    I use dry and the longer you soak them, (and then boil them) the more broken down they are and less likely to cause "issues". This is actually true of most dry beans.

Dry beans are usually cheaper and don't have the added sodium that many canned beans do.

I've used black, garbanzo, cranberry, light red kidney.....they all have a little different taste but I like them all.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I found this thread.

My partner has the same problem: when he uses canned beans he has the same digestive problems that the OP won't go into.

We tried the dried beans, everything seemed fine, but he developed an awful rash in a few hours. Clearly black beans are out of the menu. I have this wonderful black beans recipe and I would love to try it with some other beans. I shall try the suggestions from this thread.

Thanks!