Eating past fullness

Options
Yesterday I saved up my calories and planned for the day so that I could eat two slices of pepperoni pizza for dinner. I followed my plan and had enough calories to eat the two slices of pizza, but about 1/3 of the way through the second slice, I felt that little pang in the stomach that tells you when you're full. Unfortunately, instead of putting the pizza down, I kept eating because I "had enough calories". This is not good training for maintenance! Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? I'm just so accustomed to "cleaning my plate"!

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how you were raised, why is it important to clean your plate now?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Learn to listen to your body! Just because you have the calories doesn't mean you should stuff yourself beyond feeling pleasantly full. I don't care what anyone else says on this. To live a healthy life, and to maintain your goals, you need to be able to listen and obey the signals your body sends you!
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    @sunkisses, @lizard053 - You're right. I'm an adult now. I am going to start a new habit right now. It's called "eating until I am just satisfied."
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was hoping to lead you to. If there is no logical reason, then why do it, right?

Maybe if pizza were a nutrient-dense food and you were bulking up on something you might be short on, but it's pizza and you reached your max. Even if your parents told you there were starving kids in Africa, they're not going to be mailed the leftover pizza. Sometimes ya just gotta throw it out or take less to begin with.
  • maximouse
    maximouse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ...urgh totally understand cafel3, I just love the pleasure of eating so much that I can't stop sometimes.....the feeling and taste of certain food....yum! There's even some healthy foods that I could eat too much of. I've tried not to cook so much food so I can't be tempted......when its gone, it over, and I'm satisfied.
  • livinlife2012
    Options
    Learn to listen to your body. My wife and I both love a good pizza and will share the whole pie!! Unfortunately this is not the best for our waistlines.

Good luck and great meeting you on the site.

P:)
  • KristyGirl8
    KristyGirl8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my life!
  • zaaden
    zaaden Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed that if you eat slowly that you often feel full before you have finished the plate.
    Training yourself to stop eating when full, if "yummy" food is in front of you is the goal to be able to live a healthy lifestyle rather than focussing primarily on maintenance. Hopefully if we can all get to that point maintenance will be a way of life.

Just wanting to scoff an apple pie or such has always been my problem. Feel like one of those recovering alcoholics, as long as I do not start it I should be fine. One step at a time :)
  • kirstand
    Options
    yip, i do this too...especially with fast foods, eating out or with desserts that i dont have often.
    plus, i was brought up to finish everything on my plate! but it's more about the taste and cost of the food that keeps me eating till im bloated :sick: (stupid as it sounds) ...thankfully most of my homemade food is boring and simple enough that i dont want to eat too much of it!
    just consider it a slip up...we all have them now and then.
    keep up the good work you have been doing:smile:
  • pittures
    pittures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my grandfather always used to say 'get up from the table knowing that you could eat more'

if only I'd listened
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    my grandfather always used to say 'get up from the table knowing that you could eat more'

if only I'd listened

That is some sound advice. I am going to remember that.

If I was full after eating my pizza and I still had calories left, I would be thinking of waiting and hour and maybe having a sweet treat!
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do this occasionally too. I know better, but it's still hard. Any advise or tricks on how to walk away when full besides " just do it".
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Feel like one of those recovering alcoholics, as long as I do not start it I should be fine. One step at a time :)

Yes, I frequently eat past fullness and am slowly learning to be better about portion control and listening to my body. Also, if there is something "yummy" tempting me, I try to eat a portion-controlled size or just not eat it at all. Typically, if it starts with "just one" then suddenly I've had many... Best of luck in your journey!
  • Tudrase
    Options
    You can always save food for tomorrow :-) put it in the freezer. I made pork and apple burgers yesterday and was going to have two. Saved one as I didn't need but ended up going back to nibble on it!! So I stuck it in the freezer :-P