Anyone else have this happen to them?

Options
Hi there,

I am adjusting my program to 1/2 pound a week because I just spent this past weekend recovering from not eating enough. It was a little scary.

On Friday I felt lightheaded and weak. I really thought I was doing damage to my brain. My focus and concentration were off.

I don't think I was eating enough at 1500 calories a day. I realize I probably had a deficit of 700 or more calories a day for my current weight.

I ate more Sat. and Sun. to norish my body and brain so that I can get back to it on Monday. I did not go over the amount to maintain my current weight, but I ate at the maintenance level.

I am on week 6 and have lost 6-7 pounds and overall it has been an excellent experience. I am still trying to find the right amount to eat or not eat.

Has anyone else had trouble in the beginning of doing this program finding the correct amount of calories to eat?

Thanks,

Connie Lynn

Replies

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am adjusting my program to 1/2 pound a week because I just spent this past weekend recovering from not eating enough. It was a little scary.

On Friday I felt lightheaded and weak. I really thought I was doing damage to my brain. My focus and concentration were off.

I don't think I was eating enough at 1500 calories a day. I realize I probably had a deficit of 700 or more calories a day for my current weight.

I ate more Sat. and Sun. to norish my body and brain so that I can get back to it on Monday. I did not go over the amount to maintain my current weight, but I ate at the maintenance level.

I am on week 6 and have lost 6-7 pounds and overall it has been an excellent experience. I am still trying to find the right amount to eat or not eat.

Has anyone else had trouble in the beginning of doing this program finding the correct amount of calories to eat?

Thanks,

Connie Lynn
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to everyone at different points in a weight loss journey, its easy, you eat a little less and you loose a bit more weight and you are feeling great about your success and you may eat fewer calories, not even on purpose and then you start to realize there is a reason you need to eat. You figured it out quick and are making the right choice to get back to trying to stick with a plan and that is really what you need to do.

People have a tendency to go from one extreme to the other and recognizing that is important so kudos to you and hopefully your dizziness and such will be gone so you can move forward.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I agree, it happens to everyone at some point. I've lost 19 pounds since the first of the year when I decided to start this program. Fortunately I've stayed on track and just worked out more while eating my pre-exercise max in calories. I've been tempted to skip meals but I know that's not in my best interest.

It's all a psychological game that you have to win over yourself. Good Luck!
  • Erica92627
    Options
    i'm staying with my calories and sometime not meeting it 1200 (not on purpose) I just don't get hungry. lol But I found myself gain 3 pounds again so I'm back where I started from. geez I'll never get where I want to be.
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi Chica01,

Remember not to weigh yourself everyday. That may be the reason you think you gained 3 pounds again.

You also need to eat all of your 1200 or more because I don't want what happened to me to happen to you. Even if you are not hungry, you need to eat your calories or your brain becomes undernorished.

Read: www.fi.edu/learn.brain/carbs.html for more info.

"Glucose is the form of sugar that travels in your bloodstream to fuel the mitochondrial furnaces responsible for your brain power. Glucose is the only fuel normally used by brain cells. Because neurons cannot store glucose, they depend on the bloodstream to deliver a constant supply of this precious fuel.

This blood sugar is obtained from carbohydrates: the starches and sugars you eat in the form of grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables. (The only animal foods containing a significant amount of carbohydrates are dairy products.)

Too much sugar or refined carbohydrates at one time, however, can actually deprive your brain of glucose – depleting its energy supply and compromising your brain's power to concentrate, remember, and learn. Mental activity requires a lot of energy.

Your brain cells need two times more energy than the other cells in your body."

I am sticking with my program, but I don't want to deprive my body and brain of what it needs. It is important to find the right minimum # of calories.

I am going to go and see my doctor and show him the number of calories I've been eating and get his recommendation.

Anyone else experience the eating to little and having loss of concentration?

Thank you all for your help.

Connie Lynn

P.S. Star Trek Fans: "Jim, his brain is gone." Talking about Spock.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I went on a crazy 0 fat diet when I was in college and trying to get ready for spring break. After about a week, I started getting really confused. It was almost like dementia or Alzheimer's. My friends recognized what was happening (we were all biology majors) and they took me to get a double whopper with cheese and bacon. Within a few hours, my mental acuity had returned to normal.

When I'm working or playing, I can go for 24 hours without eating and not be bothered by it but I don't do it on purpose. Dropping below a 500 calorie deficit is generally a bad idea, especially for long periods.