celery

Options
Hello random internet MFP people!

I'm one of those people who would rather eat a large quantity of something less caloric than 1 piece of something with the same amount of calories. What can I say- I like to chew!

So the idea of munching on celery sticks is pretty appealing to me. Lots of crunch for very few calories- thumbs up! The fiber fills me up which makes me happy. And I happen to like the flavor! Bonus!

I've grown up with the notion that eating an extreme amount of ANYTHING (even celery) is not so good for you. But how much is too much? So my question is: if I manage to eat an entire stalk of celery in one day is that too much? Will it cause unwanted side affects? Or should I just be happy that I've found something that can satisfy my strong snacking urge?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love celery too, especially with peanut butter! I have heard that celery has sodium, but I'm sure you would have to eat a ton to make any difference!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's too much if you can't eat it anymore.:bigsmile:

Yes, too much of any one thing can be bad for you, but I haven't heard anything about over eating of celery. Bok choi, yes, but not celery. (And the person ate insane amounts of bok choi to cause their problem. I doubt you eat that much celery!)

Crunch away! As long as the fiber doesn't bind you up, you are in good shape!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it whatsoever. I seriously doubt it would be humanly possible to eat enough celery to cause any concern.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine...

http://www.natures-health-foods.com/celery-stalks.html ---- awesome article on celery!
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I was watching "The Revolution" the other day and their personal trainer dude, Harley Pasternak, said he'd rather people a HUGE plate of raw fruits/veggies than a small bowl of nuts because the fruits and veggies have more water and fiber and will fill you up more so it decreases your chance of overeating. :-)

So I'd say it wouldn't be totally harmful to eat a lot of fruits and veggies but I would suggest a bit of variety so you're getting different tastes and don't get bored and also so you get more and different nutrients.

I also think it's great that you've found a healthy snack food for yourself.... great stuff! Also, if you're going to increase your fiber a lot by eating a lot of fruits and veggies then I would increase your water intake as well or it can bind you up... that would be the only "downside" I could see...
  • Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I actually read an article recently that explained how eating lettuce all of the time isn't good for you. It was an article about moderation and how it doesn't matter what the item is, if you're eating a lot of that one item, it's bad for you. I wish I could find the article again to share with you...

If you're honestly consuming that much celery on a daily basis, I recommend talking to your doctor to make sure it's okay. The body is too complex to just assume that it's okay to consume that much of something every day.
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    wtg that you can actually manage to eat it at all !! I would love to as it always looks so clean and heathly but the taste is just RANCID !!!

I have tried, I swear, but I can't :o( x
  • Kendrawinn
    Options
    Celery is great!! I eat bout two stalks with some hummus... yum.
  • cedardirt
    Options
    Eat a way, i am the same way when it comes to jeruselam artichokes and other raw veggies. love the crunch and being low on the glycemic charts it takes a way the need to munch on chips.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the nice replies, everyone! I'm prepping for a party I'm hosting later, and I ate a ton of celery as I was chopping veggies for the crudites. (ok maybe not a TON... probably 4 sticks if I'm being realistic) The celery, combined with the 32oz of water I just drank, really filled me up! I actually have the same satisfied feeling that I get after a binge- without the guilt!