Seriously craving sweet stuff right now........

Options
2»

Replies

• stiltoncheese
    stiltoncheese Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I made it! Thanks for all the suggestions though.

I didn't have any space left in my diary as I am in England and it was closing in on 10pm when I posted, so my diary and exercise were completed for the day, with no calories to spare.

I almost had another banana but thought that would only be feeding the sugar cravings and not helping them (I know fruit is good, but I need to get these cravings back under control a bit).

Anyway, it's a new day today. It's 9:30am here and I have a date with a bowl of porridge and my treadmill!

Thanks again everyone....appreciate your support :)

(edited for typos)
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This totally hit me. I am at work and I brought in red velvet donuts to treat a few of my special peeps I work with. Anyway, I have been so good, just looked at them and haven't touched them but they are constantly on my mind. I keep telling myself I should have half.....then no, ok 1 bite will be good. I even went as far as to google the calories which are close to 400 and freaked out and said NO. Not sure I can stay strong til I get home at 7am, but I am sure going to try!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Chew a piece of sugar free gum! That always helps me! :smile:

Thank you, I knew this but forgot.......I am putting gum in my mouth right now!
  • Avengertk
    Options
    same thing happened to me last night i was almost crying i wanted to eat something really naughty and high in cals. i havent really had too many treats and a fellow dieter said i should schedule a treat into my diary every once in a while.

good luck to you x
  • Avengertk
    Options
    apparently it takes a few days. then you start to develop willpower. its a case of breaking a habit it takes a few days or more to form new ones. its to do with the brain.

I agree with what she said :)
  • Soadrokr
    Soadrokr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sugar free 60 calorie double chocolate jello pudding is what i use for my cravings!
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i find just brushing my teeth helps resolve sweet cravings.

And when it doesn't, Cool Whip Free does. Crappy chemicals - i know. I doubt there is any natural food product in that stuff. But it has no fat and almost no calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Restricting, abstaining and depriving yourself of foods that you enjoy are usually the failure of every diet. It all comes down to calories in and calories out so there really isn't any reason you can't eat what you want as long as you don't go over your calorie intake and that you have already gotten in your daily essentials.
    Forcing yourself to deny foods you really enjoy will make you hate dieting, hate getting in shape and for some it makes them testy. Life is too short to not enjoy. You CAN do it sensibly and still enjoy the foods you eat. I do it with clients daily and former clients that I still see have maintained their weight after reaching goal eating in moderation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stiltoncheese
    Options

And when it doesn't, Cool Whip Free does. Crappy chemicals - i know. I doubt there is any natural food product in that stuff. But it has no fat and almost no calories.

What is cool whip? I'm in England so not sure if we have that here......or perhaps we do bit we call it something else?

Sugar free jelly is another good suggestion, I may have to buy some on my next food shopping trip.

It's silly, but brushing my teeth never seems to stop my cravings, I still crave the food after the mint taste has worn off...must be a psychological thing I suppose.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options

What is cool whip? I'm in England so not sure if we have that here......or perhaps we do bit we call it something else?

Sugar free jelly is another good suggestion, I may have to buy some on my next food shopping trip.

Cool whip is a non-dairy whipped cream substitute. Very American, but i can get it here in Singapore. It comes in white tubs in the freezer section. If you have ex-pat Americans in your neighborhood, you'll likely find it. But be careful, there's regular Cool Whip and there's Cool Whip Free. I can't taste the difference but there is a difference in calories and fat.

It's silly, but brushing my teeth never seems to stop my cravings, I still crave the food after the mint taste has worn off...must be a psychological thing I suppose.
  • stiltoncheese
    Options
    Restricting, abstaining and depriving yourself of foods that you enjoy are usually the failure of every diet. It all comes down to calories in and calories out so there really isn't any reason you can't eat what you want as long as you don't go over your calorie intake and that you have already gotten in your daily essentials.
    Forcing yourself to deny foods you really enjoy will make you hate dieting, hate getting in shape and for some it makes them testy. Life is too short to not enjoy. You CAN do it sensibly and still enjoy the foods you eat. I do it with clients daily and former clients that I still see have maintained their weight after reaching goal eating in moderation.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks. I do have treats normally, but yesterday was just a bad day for me that's all.

Also, I should probably add that I've been at my target weight of 119 pounds for the last 2 years so no issues with maintaining or not eating enough or anything like that. I was genuinley just having one of those random crazy cravings where nothing but chocolate would do. Think TOM is on his way and chocolate cravings always hit then.

Appreciate all the input from everyone though, thanks :)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation, you can eat chocolate, or whatever you're craving and not let it affect your weight or health, as long as you don't overeat on it. When you want to overeat, I think you don't think your weight is your main concern at that moment, it's the rush of adrenaline, the feeling of cram as much in your mouth as you can but have a go and think about it like this, this won't help my health, my body needs carbs, sugars, fats, yes but it can't digest a huge truckfull all at once. Think about your organs working overtime. Have a normal serving of what you're craving then put the rest away and tell yourself you can have more tomorrow, etc. Eventually your brain will understand this, knowing you are not denying yourself this craving, thus ceasing the feeling to overeat. I know I may sound like a hyprocrite because of my ed but it doesn't mean I don't believe what I have just said. I understand people believe not giving in will eventually make this craving disappear but I don't believe it, plus I'm guessing denial will just make you a)miserable because you're constantly thinking about it and b)crave it more. Eating one serving of something could be hard, I understand that, because you instantly want more, but think about it rationally, can your body take all this in at once? I hope I have helped somehow:).

Tasha
    xxx
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I totally agree with this. I have a little goodie a few times a week. Just factor it into my calories. Yesterday I had 3 butterscotch rice krispie treats. Earlier this week I had four peanut butter cookies. No big deal. If I have a craving for something I eat it. If it does put me over my calories for the day and it's too late to do some additional exercise to burn it off, I just do an extra calorie burn the next day and/or reduce my calories a tad to make up for it. Your body isn't a clock that resets itself every day.

Or I don't make any adjustments at all. Depends on my mood, the week, what's going on. Look. Let's say you ate a 150 calorie treat and decided not to exercise it off or eat less the next day to balance it out. This just means your deficit is 150 calories less that day but you are still in a deficit. If you're set to lose 1# per week, that is a 3500 calorie weekly deficit. So it means your deficit this week is only 3350. That 150 calories means that you'll lose 0.05% of a pound less than you would have if you haven't eaten it. Big whew!

I used to be a binge eater because I would deprive myself, try to eat something else less calorie-dense instead of what I really wanted, or try to trick myself with drinking water, etc., and not eat what I desire at all. Now, I never binge unless it's a planned binge, which I prefer to call a splurge, like at last Sunday's Super Bowl party. I no longer have a desire to go on a real, uncontrolled binge because I allow myself to eat it if I really want it.

Of course, sometimes I think I want something and the feeling passes by just getting busy with something and getting side-tracked. Then I don't eat it and that's OK. But if it's one of those things where I can't get it out of my mind, really want it, keep thinking about it even if I just had a healthy meal, and it's nagging on me, then I just eat it, guilt-free, enjoying every bite. And small servings suffice because I know I can have it again.

Hope that helps.