Moderator or Abstainer, Which Are You?

Options

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Moderator. I've always been able to enjoy foods without binging. I am a believer in everything in moderation.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    More of a Moderator.. although I don't get panicky I just know that I can enjoy them and still succeed :drinker:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of both. I typically abstain from alcohol unless I know I can only have ONE. I'm a moderator because I like to have sweets every now and then, and I don't like to deprive myself. If I'm craving pizza for a few days, eventually, I'll just get it. But if it's a random craving and I'm perfectly, HONESTLY, happy with the lunch I packed, I won't get what I'm craving. Usually a craving has to last a while for me to give into it. Then I know it's more of a genuine craving than just a random cop out.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I'm a little bit of both. When it comes to certain substance addictions I have to be very much an abstainer... for a period of time. I had to quit drinking caffeine cold turkey. NOW I can have some in moderation, but during the initial habit-breaking phase I just couldn't touch it. I've quit smoking cigarettes twice but I know that if I ever smoked another, then I *would* become addicted again. There are other worse things that fall into this sort of category... and with those I have to exercise complete abstinence.

With everything else, moderation is key. I cannot get through this life change without the knowing that I can have *anything* I crave, I just have to limit myself. I can have pizza, cookies, chocolate, cheese, etc. I simply can't have as *much* of it as I want. That was my problem before. I ate well past the point of satiety. These foods are not what made me fat. Eating entirely too much of them, while moving entirely too little afterward, is what made me fat. So cutting these foods out isn't necessary. All I would be doing in that case is setting myself up for failure. I love food. It's not wrong to love food. I just need to love myself more, and be mindful of portion sizes. :-)
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    Moderator all the way through
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Moderator - for sure!
    I am just unwilling to give anything up totally as I know it would lead to failure.
    Having said that, I found that over time, I just simply stopped wanting certain things.

Go figure....
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I should have refreshed. Add a "Yeah that" to the poster above my last post. :laugh:
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Moderator- but I wouldn't say I am moderate really. I actually eat as much of what I want within my macro and calorie bounds. Sometimes half a serving, sometimes 5 servings...
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Moderator... nothing is off limits for me. For me abstaining leads to binging.

Definitely this.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit of both. If I want oreos I'll do what I can to find the single serving pack at the store, because I know myself and my thought process, so while I'll allow myself to have what I want, I also make sure I only buy enough for that time otherwise it's easy to find reasons and moments as to why it would be ok to have more.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Moderator! The only way I can sustain this lifestyle change is by not allowing myself to feel deprived. Nothing is totally off limits.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    moderator.... i love yummy FOOD
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    a little of both. There are some things I must abstain from completely (alcohol being one of them) then there are other things I consume moderately....more and more I am becoming an abstainer though
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    the ony thing in the world I CAN'T sto peating is potato chips... I tried giving them up but I can't so I let myself have one of those individual bags on Fridays and fit it into my calories and I'm good for another week :D
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Moderator. I ain't doing this thing if it means giving up the pleasures in life. And yes, food is a pleasure. Screw this "eat to live" stuff. I LOVE FOOD. I love cooking really damned good food, I love having friends over for awesome dinner parties, I enjoy trying new exotic food in exotic places. I can be moderate, every meal doesn't have to be a Vegas show, but I am not going to eat raw vegetables with fat-free astringent-tasting 'substitute' sauces the rest of my life. Or ever.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderator...If you completely cut out certain foods not only will you drive yourself crazy but then your life consists of being on a DIET...I'm not on a diet. I'm making a LIFESTYLE change and with my lifestyle change I can still have whatever I want just in moderation :flowerforyou:
  • RosieStringer9
    RosieStringer9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Moderator, definitely! =)
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to make a change, it's all or nothing. I guess I am an abstainer. Diets that don't leave me a little hungry make it difficult to keep my focus and motivation. Perhaps that makes me a combination of the two...my calories are abstinance level - but no food in particular is off limits.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Moderator. Life is for living.