The day after a spike day

Options
Hi all,

To those of you who do spike days, do you find that the day directly after your weight could be up by ~1lb or so, and then it goes down much quicker over the next few days?
Just wondering if water retention is noticeable on the scales after a spike day.

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Yeppers. Water weight.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yeppers. Water weight.
    Thought so. :) Just wanted to confirm I was correct as I'm doing my first spike day on Monday; my partner and I always go out to this amazing all you can eat asian restaurant for special occasions. Mmmmmm!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Yeppers. Water weight.
    Thought so. :) Just wanted to confirm I was correct as I'm doing my first spike day on Monday; my partner and I always go out to this amazing all you can eat asian restaurant for special occasions. Mmmmmm!

Depending on how easily you bloat, and how late you eat, your body could "hold" more. Ive gained 3 pounds overnight before (big, salty meal around midnight while hanging out with friends lol). Just flush it out with water the next day and eat healthfully, maybe up your fiber a bit depending on what you chose to eat for your cheat meal. It will be gone in no time. Have a nice dinner! :heart:
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 3-4kgs over night :)
  • ashleab37
    Options
    Wow! How high do you spike your calories, if you don't mind me asking?

I really don't care what the scale says day to day, as long as it's going down on a monthly basis, so all good.
  • jewelswye
    jewelswye Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    YES, I had two spike days (because of super bowl) that came to about a 3pound gain for Monday morning, and then about a 5pound loss over the next week, well this past week
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    When my body was in loosing mode I would always lose after a free day. Now that I am trying to maintain my weight, I always gain after a "bad" day
  • amykingsley1
    amykingsley1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes. My spike days are my beer days... and the scale is usually up a pound or two in the morning.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options

I really don't care what the scale says day to day, as long as it's going down on a monthly basis, so all good.

This is my feeling exactly!
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Mine usually goes up by 3-4 pounds the next day and sometimes the day after that too. Just make sure to keep water intake high if you have a cheat meal/day. that'll flush out excess sodium that may be causing water retention.
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    My "Spike days" are usually after a LONG run. After said long run I treat myself to a glass of wine (or two). I am always 2-3 lbs heavier the next day due to water retention. So predictable. Still so annoying!! :smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

To those of you who do spike days, do you find that the day directly after your weight could be up by ~1lb or so, and then it goes down much quicker over the next few days?
    Just wondering if water retention is noticeable on the scales after a spike day.
    OMG!
    A huge YES!

I don't dare even weight for 2 days after, and by week's end, I am down a pound - ready for another binge, or as the egg-heads say, "RE-FEED THERAPY":glasses:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options

I'll let you know about the weight gain tomorrow because I really didn't watch myself tonight when I went out to eat. Every bite of that meal was worth it though. No regrets at all!

And I totally agree with you. This is why I went from weighing weekly to every other week. I might even go to monthly.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yep mine has been 3-4 as well. Now if I could just work on this scale dependency, I would be great!! :blushing:
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I don't even spike my calories at all, that's just how much my weight fluctuates on a normal day-to-day basis. This is why I never weigh daily because it's just too depressing. Sorry for confusing!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I always lose weight the day after a spike day...

I swear my body says to itself " oh, we are not eating healthy, or low cal, it's ok to let go of this fat you worked off all week" lol
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time on the weekends. I think it helps me lose more weight during the week. I start out initially pretty high but I'll end up losing 2-3 pounds that week instead of the normal 1. PLUS, it gives me a little boost of energy and keeps me from depriving myself from the foods I love. I try to avoid weighing myself on monday and by tuesday I'm back down to my original weight or less.
  • ashleab37
    Options

I'll let you know about the weight gain tomorrow because I really didn't watch myself tonight when I went out to eat. Every bite of that meal was worth it though. No regrets at all!

And I totally agree with you. This is why I went from weighing weekly to every other week. I might even go to monthly.
    I still weigh daily. When it's up I find that I work harder and eat better. I track my weight every Sunday morning, though.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I cheated like crazy last night and this morning my scale was down a full 1 lb (this morning's weigh-in was only 2 days after my most recent). But I don't know the exact parameters for a technical 'spike' so IDK how my cheat night compares. I just know I was way over on calories and the scale loved me today. :-)