Bras- I Finally Did It!

Options
72lori
72lori Posts: 6,753 Member
I'm posting this under success, because it was a successful day. I have not bought bras since I started this process in September. I've had to replace all my other clothes, but my chest was the last to start to lose and I could never find any bras that fit, so I was wearing the same 2 that I could still get away with wearing. Actually, I've been living in sports bras as much as possible....... Needless to say, I've really NEEDED bras for the last 2 months- at least.

I went to Hanes/Bali outlet where I had them measure me. I had done it myself, but even better yet, they had tons and tons to chose from plus, the bell in the fitting room that is available for a clerk to bring other sizes is invaluable! I was there for 90 minutes. 90 painful minutes of trying on bra after bra after bra.

The first trip into the fitting room was truly painful. I wanted to cry. The changes to my chest with weight loss are not so positive in my eyes. I can handle smaller, in fact I welcome smaller, it's all the 'other stuff' that comes with smaller that is disturbing because I know that no amount of exercise is going to help these changes.

As I was taking my 4th or 5th trip through the store selecting more styles to try, I heard another lady say that bra shopping was becoming as painful as jeans and bathing suits. I hear you sista!

All in all, it was a good trip. I found 6 different bras that seemed to be decent. Bought one of each. Now the true test is wearing them and having them still work after having them on all day long.

So, to all you other bra shopping avoiders. Suck it up and go, you'll be glad you did!

Replies

• 72lori
    Options
    I'm posting this under success, because it was a successful day. I have not bought bras since I started this process in September. I've had to replace all my other clothes, but my chest was the last to start to lose and I could never find any bras that fit, so I was wearing the same 2 that I could still get away with wearing. Actually, I've been living in sports bras as much as possible....... Needless to say, I've really NEEDED bras for the last 2 months- at least.

I went to Hanes/Bali outlet where I had them measure me. I had done it myself, but even better yet, they had tons and tons to chose from plus, the bell in the fitting room that is available for a clerk to bring other sizes is invaluable! I was there for 90 minutes. 90 painful minutes of trying on bra after bra after bra.

The first trip into the fitting room was truly painful. I wanted to cry. The changes to my chest with weight loss are not so positive in my eyes. I can handle smaller, in fact I welcome smaller, it's all the 'other stuff' that comes with smaller that is disturbing because I know that no amount of exercise is going to help these changes.

As I was taking my 4th or 5th trip through the store selecting more styles to try, I heard another lady say that bra shopping was becoming as painful as jeans and bathing suits. I hear you sista!

All in all, it was a good trip. I found 6 different bras that seemed to be decent. Bought one of each. Now the true test is wearing them and having them still work after having them on all day long.

So, to all you other bra shopping avoiders. Suck it up and go, you'll be glad you did!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I am truly happy for you. I know what a trial it is. I've been ordering mine from the catalog. They never fit right so I just end up stuffing the sisters in it and going anyway. I finally heard about a store 45 miles away that goes up to cup size O so I know I should be able to find something.

I am going bra shopping next week. Hopefully I will have your success.:flowerforyou:
  • lawson
    lawson Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks! I have needed to do the same thing ad have been avoiding going because i dont want to loose more weight and them not fit. I too WELCOME smaller with OPEN arms! :)

Thanks for the push I needed... im going Tomorrow! And congrats on finding good ones!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    good for you!
    :flowerforyou:
    I hate bra shopping, but it's the FIRST piece of clothing I need to replace when dieting. I've been through this before.:grumble:
  • 72lori
    Options
    Good luck ladies! Plan on being there a WHILE. I expected to get in and out, have time to browse the other stores before I had to get home. No go. I got there when they opened at 10 and paid at 11:30. Hopefully I'll be as happy when I wear them!

My back is actually sore, like the skin from tyring on so many! It's work!

lawson: since my chest was the last to start and lose I was waiting too, figuring my size may change again since I still want to lose more... but you know what? I need bras! I'm already distraught over the lack of perkiness so wearing a bra that didn't fit wasn't helping that self image. I found some that boost those babies back to where they were intended to be!
  • tracylynne29
    tracylynne29 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    from reading these coments does that mean your breast cup size decrease or increase when loosing weight or are you talking about the width around that area im just curious I havent got that far
  • 72lori
    Options
    Both cup size and around size decreased.
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bras and jeans were the first thing I had to start buying, i cannot stand loss baggy jeans and I have to have bras that fit right, I have spent more money on buying bras during this journey then any other clothing item, i buy jeans at goodwill though, Hey its cheap and they only fit for like 2 months. To the person above asking about band/cup size, I actullay have really only been losing on the band which kinda sucks because I started with DD-DDD despending on the bra and now most DDD's do not fit, it makes buying bras even more spendy.
  • CandaceW
    CandaceW Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm already distraught over the lack of perkiness so wearing a bra that didn't fit wasn't helping that self image. I found some that boost those babies back to where they were intended to be!

i've thought about trying duct tape...home made lift kit....saves money on surgery :)
  • 72lori
    Options
    Technically some of the ones I bought were the same cup size, but I can assure you I would have never gotten into them before. I had to buy full figure monsters before with a several inch 'piece' in the front middle. One I got today is a little teeny tiny thread of nothingness between the two cups. That would have never flown before, I would have been popping out all over the place.

I think the whole 'get measured for bras, because .....% of the popluation is wearing the wrong size is a joke! All bras are different, they all fit different, just like anything else. You have to try it on, know how they are supposed to fit and go from there. I tired on 36 B, C and D and some of each fit! Go figure. It totally depended on the style, cut, etc.

I've been through my share of jeans too, now I have 1 pair that fit good, 1 pair that is too big, but I wear them anyway sometimes. Luckily I live in Florida, I can wear capris and shorts and I have a few more of those.

It's not cheap to go through this process!
  • 72lori
    Options
    I'm already distraught over the lack of perkiness so wearing a bra that didn't fit wasn't helping that self image. I found some that boost those babies back to where they were intended to be!

i've thought about trying duct tape...home made lift kit....saves money on surgery :)

:laugh: I would have done it at one point today! And taped my under arm flab that was hideously protruding out of bras down flat in the process! Oh how that would hurt coming off though.....
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    congrats on getting some new bras. I hope my chest defintely gets smaller, so far it hasn't:sad:
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't think my cup size has gone down much at all so far :cry: although I wish it would go down! Maybe then I will be able to buy a bikini top from a regular store and not victorias secret online (bra sized tops)

I actually like Target's bras. I think they are decent quality and you can get 4 of them for the price of one Victoria's Secret bra- which I was never really impressed with...
  • 72lori
    Options
    Lands End sometimes has some good choices for larger bikini tops too. I can buy D cup tankini's. I agree with Vicky's Secret. They are ok, but I don't think they are worth the money.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!