i <3 chia seeds!

Options
has anyone else tried them? they're known to expand in one's stomach and fill you up more if you sprinkle them on food. just ate a salad with them! you can bake with them and everything.

has anyone had success with weight loss after adding chia to their diet?

Replies

• MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am going to try chia seeds after I am finished with the flax seeds I have on hand.

I am interested in them to get some nutrients and would prefer the no flavor to the off flavor that the flax seeds provide.
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try them now!!! :tongue:
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I put them in my smoothie or oatmeal. On the back of the package it says that Aztec Warriors could last a day on them! I haven't noticed anything special but I am willing to try almost anything to be like an Aztec Warrior!
  • ellenrose25
    Options
    I put them in my smoothie or oatmeal. On the back of the package it says that Aztec Warriors could last a day on them! I haven't noticed anything special but I am willing to try almost anything to be like an Aztec Warrior!

haha definitely! i couldn't find "chia" at whole foods, but found something called "salba." did a little research and salba is apparently the trademarked name for "white chia seeds"

i read this promising quote:

"100 grams of salba will yield 70 percent of your daily requirement of calcium and 50 percent of your iron requirement. It also contains 10 times more magnesium than milk, 25 percent more fiber than flaxseed, twice the potassium of bananas, 30 percent more antioxidants than strawberries, and 50 percent more vegetable protein than soybeans. I eat it on a salad every day to control my weight; just 100 grams of chia is so filling that it quashes my hunger for hours. I was able to lose seven pounds in just a month by incorporating the grain into my diet — dropping me below 200 pounds for the first time since my 20s." - Dr. Bob Arnot
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    I put them in oatmeal, in my baking and some times in smoothies. They're a good boost of fiber and have omega fatty acids in them. I don't really rely on them for weight loss :P The nutritional benefits are enough.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    I bought a small amount from the bulk section of Whole Foods last week. I put them in a smoothie I made, just added a tablespoon. Then I was looking at a blog and they were being used in a recipe and she added them to water and made a gel first.
    I tried that and added the gel (1T seeds to 4 oz water) and added that to the smoothie and I did feel fuller longer on the smoothie. They are rich in omega 3.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Love them! I've added them to botled water, smoothies, porridge, hot tea, etc. They truly are a superfood.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Chia made my hair green.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Options
    They're also a great way to boos your fiber intake if you find it difficult to get that in.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Options
    Chia made my hair green.

LOL! For a minute I thought you were serious. Ch-ch-ch-chia!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    has anyone else tried them? they're known to expand in one's stomach and fill you up more if you sprinkle them on food. just ate a salad with them! you can bake with them and everything.

Yes, and the result was....

Oh Boy!
    How shall I put this?

...like passing a football!
  • msminyon
    msminyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd recently heard Dolvet Quince mention them so I bought some at the grocery store. I'm so surprised at all the foods and drinks you can add chia to. Sprinkled them over my salad but I think in the morning i'll add a bit to my yogurt. They add a small texture and are quite pleasant tasting. part of the mint family so the package says.
  • ellenrose25
    Options
    Chia made my hair green.

haha i am way too gullible
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Oh Boy!
    How shall I put this?

LOL!!!
  • ellenrose25
    Options

Oh Boy!
    How shall I put this?

hahahaha uh oh. seriously?
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, the thought of something expanding in my stomach scares me. I have enough digestive problems as it is.

I bought a big container of Chia seeds for practically nothing at the Asian grocery, but I keep forgetting to use them. I think I sprinkled them on yogurt once or twice.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Oh Boy!
    How shall I put this?

hahahaha uh oh. seriously?
    It might have been something else - who knows?
    If nobody else has experienced that, then I just made a total fool of myself.
    Oh well......
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love chia and add them to my smoothies, oatmeal etc. for the health benefits they give. The full feeling they give you is a nice side effect, makes my smoothies very filling and satisfying. :drinker:
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My husband wants to get some. I just can't get the stupid chia pet song out of my head when he talks about them.
    Now if I could only remember where we saw them....
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    every day with my oatmeal and love it