plateau? Should I change my diet?

I have been maintaining a relatively low calorie diet. I have lost 21 pounds since July but I only really got serious about the weight loss about a week before I found MFP In my first few weeks the weight came off relatively easy I was going to the gym and eating low calories, but then suddenly stopped. I gave my self a few cheat days, and in the last three I have been over my limit although MFP was still saying at my max I would still loose weight. I am still not seeing a difference on the scale, in fact It showed I gained a pound before I did the spike. I have been lifting weights and I am probably putting on some muscle, but I am wondering if I should alter my diet to less carbs or something to get that scale dropping again. Please take a look at my diary and let me know what you think? I am aware the last three days were kinda high but the weight loss stopped before those days.
Thanks!

Replies

• JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    You know I have even Plateu a little...and looked around and everyone advice said to lower coloric intake.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 913 Member
    I can't see your diary!! I can tell you that I lost 36 pounds in 4 months and then my weight loss halted for the last 4 months...I was netting around 1500 a day (I weight 203) and that wasn't getting me anywhere, so I upped my calories recently to netting 1750-2000 and the scale started moving again. I also started eating a 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat ratio so I think that's helping too, because my protein was previously a bit low and my fat a bit high. I also changed my workouts from primarily cardio to doing P90X. Just giving you my experience and what has seemed to help me break through the plateau!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    I have been maintaining a relatively low calorie diet. I have lost 21 pounds since July but I only really got serious about the weight loss about a week before I found MFP In my first few weeks the weight came off relatively easy I was going to the gym and eating low calories, but then suddenly stopped. I gave my self a few cheat days, and in the last three I have been over my limit although MFP was still saying at my max I would still loose weight. I am still not seeing a difference on the scale, in fact It showed I gained a pound before I did the spike. I have been lifting weights and I am probably putting on some muscle, but I am wondering if I should alter my diet to less carbs or something to get that scale dropping again. Please take a look at my diary and let me know what you think? I am aware the last three days were kinda high but the weight loss stopped before those days.
    Thanks!
    Open your diary; let's work through this together.
    ALL IS POSSIBLE!
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    1. Check your measurements (if you're gaining muscle, you might be losing inches of fat)
    2. If you feel comfortable, make your food diary public so we can see what we're talking about here
    3. Get some blood work done to have your thyroid, etc checked.
  • ahinski
    You know I have even Plateu a little...and looked around and everyone advice said to lower coloric intake.

In my experience, the advice is often the opposite....
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Personally, I think people who plateau should just be patient and ride it out for a little before making any changes. Weight loss isn't this linear thing. Some weeks you'll lose nothing, and other weeks you'll lose a fair bit. Unless you don't lose for a month or more, or you're gaining weight, I would just stress less and give your body some time. Your plan has worked for you previously, chances are it will work for you again. Patience is key in the weight loss game ;)
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    I'm having the same problem. Haven't lost in 3 weeks, and I'm a pound higher than I was at that weigh-in. Been on the low end of my calories and on the high end. Did some different work-outs, but not heavy lifting. I always did cardio and strength so don't think it's all muscle. I did measure and have one inch difference in my hips from the last time, but that last time logged was prior to some weight coming off and the stall. I don't know. It is frustrating for sure. I just think I'm a slow loser. It took me over 5 months to lose 20+lbs. I get a couple lbs at a time but then it will hold that EXACT number, ounces included, for a while before it goes down again.
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member

agreed!!! if you are serious about the exercise you are doing then you need to eat more.. im currently training hard core.. i was 78kg when i first started myfitness pal but i was terribly unfit and a size 16 (Nz sizing) now about 7 months later im the same weight but way fitter and a size 12 and dropping.. so i highly recommend not putting too much stock in the scales and try taking photos every month and taking measurements cus then you will see the difference!!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    If you continue on a calorie deficit diet without breaking it up your body will adjust and you will plateau. Every person I have ever talked to or read about losing alot of weight hits plateaus. I just started a diet that counteracts this by spiking your calories for one day per week. Sounds crazy but it keeps your body from getting used to your diet and alot of people have lost weight doing it. There's a group on this site, look it up if you like. callled spike 84.

If you look into the science of it, it makes sense to keep you body guessing so you dont hit plateaus. My 2cents...

P.s- nobody knows why your hitting a plateau, may be medical, may be gaining muscle, may be what I said...
  • I had been in a bit of a plateau over the past couple of weeks. I have had one or two since I started back in July of 2011, but nothing that lasted longer than a week.

I decided to exercise less and eat more for week to see what would happen. I ended up having a big loss for the week.

I would just mix things up and try and shake your body out of its routine.
  • ahinski
    If you continue on a calorie deficit diet without breaking it up your body will adjust and you will plateau.

Nobody believes me when I tell them this. The human body is made to ADAPT. That is what it's constantly doing. We have to trick it! I keep a lot of variety in my workouts (i.e. High Intensity Interval Training and Muscle Confusion Strength Training) and I always have at least one day a week where I do not have a caloric deficit. I don't think I've hit a plateau since I started trying to lose weight 6 months ago and now I'm 6 pounds away from my goal weight.

I wish more people knew about this advice... maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a shot if what you're doing isn't working.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Oh well, nothing from the OP?
    Good luck....
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 350 Member
    Good luck....

Yeah, man... Can't really help without seeing your diary.

I'd be willing to wager some serious cash that you're not eating enough. Just from personal experience...
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 350 Member

Yeah, don't listen to this dude. Even though his hat is fabulous.
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Ahh I thought it was public. It should be now, give it a look thanks!
  • aniwani
    Good luck....

Its open
  • aniwani
    I have had a few spike days but I am still not loosing like in the previous weeks...

If you continue on a calorie deficit diet without breaking it up your body will adjust and you will plateau. Every person I have ever talked to or read about losing alot of weight hits plateaus. I just started a diet that counteracts this by spiking your calories for one day per week. Sounds crazy but it keeps your body from getting used to your diet and alot of people have lost weight doing it. There's a group on this site, look it up if you like. callled spike 84.

If you look into the science of it, it makes sense to keep you body guessing so you dont hit plateaus. My 2cents...

P.s- nobody knows why your hitting a plateau, may be medical, may be gaining muscle, may be what I said...
  • If you continue on a calorie deficit diet without breaking it up your body will adjust and you will plateau.

Nobody believes me when I tell them this. The human body is made to ADAPT. That is what it's constantly doing. We have to trick it! I keep a lot of variety in my workouts (i.e. High Intensity Interval Training and Muscle Confusion Strength Training) and I always have at least one day a week where I do not have a caloric deficit. I don't think I've hit a plateau since I started trying to lose weight 6 months ago and now I'm 6 pounds away from my goal weight.

I wish more people knew about this advice... maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a shot if what you're doing isn't working.

I completely with you and all of you advice, you sound like me! ;) You have to trick your body, change up your routine...and the number one thing that drives me personally crazy on here is eat HEALTHY calories. Just because you are under your calorie goal, your body seriously knows when most of those calories are fat, high fructose, fast food etc.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Well I just checked your diary, and some days you only eat 2 times in the whole day, others 3. I eat 5 to 6 times per day. I would starv to death if I only at 2 or 3 meals. If you only eat 2 or 3 times it slows down your metabolism. If you are able, you should split up your calories into at least 5 meals per day. It also helps with cravings, because you're eating every couple hours. Also on several days you went well under 1200 calories, which I think can hurt you, it puts your body into starvation mode, slowing you calorie burning even more.

Just my 2 cents
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Well I just checked your diary, and some days you only eat 2 times in the whole day, others 3. I eat 5 to 6 times per day. I would starv to death if I only at 2 or 3 meals. If you only eat 2 or 3 times it slows down your metabolism. If you are able, you should split up your calories into at least 5 meals per day. It also helps with cravings, because you're eating every couple hours. Also on several days you went well under 1200 calories, which I think can hurt you, it puts your body into starvation mode, slowing you calorie burning even more.

Just my 2 cents
    Eating multiple times a day does nothing for the metabolism.