Newbie needs help!

Options
Last year I had a baby and didn't diet/exercise because I would notice a huge drop in my milk supply whenever i tried. So fast forward to Jan 1st 2012, I decided to finally drop the last 15lbs. It's not pretty to look at. I'm usually between 125-130lbs and at Jan 1st I was 140.
I started doing 30 minutes of cardio every night and watching what I ate and a month later at Feb 1st my weight and measurements were the same. Although my muscles felt more defined under the flab nothing changed. I figured I had been eating too much and decided to start logging my food at MFP, also increasing cardio to about 1 hour a day.Well in the last 10 days, I've GAINED 2lbs.
I've been at this for 6 weeks now and I must be doing somehing wrong. So I have some questions!

I'm still breastfeeding 2-3x per day. I've heard for some women, they have a hard time losing weight until after they've fully weaned. Totally horomone related. Anybody find this was true for them?

I've started putting protein powder in my smoothies, I've read this is good for toning up and helping muscles recover because of the increased cardio. But could this be causing me to gain weight?

For 1 hour of cardio (usually elliptical or jogging), should I be eating all of my earned calories or try to keep it less? I really don't think I'm burning over 800 cals an hour so I've been weary of eating them all.

Just any advice would be great, thanks for taking the time to read

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Congrats on BFing! How old is your baby? I had the same mindset as you regarding milk supply. I didn't want to do anything for the first year that could jeopardize my supply.

Regarding weight and BFing - I actually found the opposite to be true for me. I gained when I weaned at 17.5 months. :(

If you're using the calorie count on the machines - don't trust it. They are notoriously over by about 20-25%.

You'll get mixed reviews on eating back exercise calories. Just remember you have to do what works for you. What works for me is eating back SOME of my exercise calories.

You can open up your food diary for better advice.
  • linb99
    Options
    congratulations on the birth of your baby. i am a grandma now but i remember going nuts trying to lose my post delivery weight and being very frustrated because i couldnt seem to lose an ounce. finally talked to my doctor about it and found out a few things. while you are nursing you NEED extra calories, and if you're not getting enough your body will go into "starvation"mode (it thinks you're starving and your metabolic system will slow down even with the extra exercise). as you work out and build muscle your weight may not change, but your size will. i am 5' 3" and weigh 125 and am a size 6 and my daughter who is 5'5" and weighs 140 is also a size 6. but she is much more muscular than i am. also check the nutrition counts on the protein powder. you may be getting too many calories from that. sounds like you're headed in the right direction but need more time for your body to adjust to the changes you're making. if it were me, i'd give it another 5-6 weeks and if you're not seeing changes by then see your doctor. good luck.
  • azeiha
    azeiha Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, my baby is 11 months old now. I read somewhere that about 1/5th of nursing mothers have a hard time losing the weight until the baby is weaned and I was really hoping I was one of them lol.. 6 weeks is just so long to not see any progress, not even a pound. It's frustrating, but I'll keep at it and maybe add the 30 day shred I see some people chatting about, thanks againf or the replies
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you are being truly honest about your healthy eating habits and your exercise regimen, then it might be time to see a doctor about blood work and/or a nutritionist.

Also, read the fantastic posts listed in the thread labeled Newbies Please Read (2nd Edition). The links there have A LOT of helpful info.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think it's way too early to worry about going to the doctor for tests. I would read all the stickies at the top of this forum to start getting better educated on ways that work for other people and that promote healthy weight loss and fitness. Also, between breastfeeding and exercise, your body is probably needing a lot of calories just to function properly. You may simply need to be eating back more of those exercise calories as breastfeeding, in itself, is already burning a lot of calories. Under-eating can cause your metabolism to run slower and, believe me, that's the last thing you want to have happen.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I don't know anything that burns 800 cals an hour (that i can think of anyway). My elliptical is very generous for calories burned and i don't trust it at all.