I'm a girl who wants to start heavy lifting... advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Join the body building group, we are often critiquing form and helping each other improve. (we aren't all necessarily body builders though, at least I'm not haha)

Everyone above is right, squats, dead-lifts, and bench are awesome, lift heavy, look and feel great.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you can afford one get a trainer for several sessions -- say a week and get him or her to check back in a month to make sure your form is right. That way you won't hurt yourself or waste time doing lifts that burn some calories but don't add strength. If you can't afford the personal trainer get a lifting buddy or seek help from others in the gym for form on specific exercises. Ask for spots. You will get help.
    10624035.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have many friends who are doing, loving and kicking *kitten* in the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. I don't have weights or access to a gym, or I would be, too.
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you get a personal trainer to develop a program for you, or at least demonstrate safe, effective movement. Bodybuilding.com is a great resource and so too is Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier.

Good luck and lift heavy!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So... do you all (or y'all if you're Southern) think it might be worth it to use a chunk of my tax return to maybe get a personal trainer for a session or two *just* to show me how to use the free weights?

I feel that would prob. be the best route.... or grab on a random day and be like Hey, can you check my form on this?

I'm surprised your first trainer did not show you how to do free weights... if he was having me do machines only, I would have kicked his booty to the curb!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    So... do you all (or y'all if you're Southern) think it might be worth it to use a chunk of my tax return to maybe get a personal trainer for a session or two *just* to show me how to use the free weights?

I feel that would prob. be the best route.... or grab on a random day and be like Hey, can you check my form on this?

I'm surprised your first trainer did not show you how to do free weights... if he was having me do machines only, I would have kicked his booty to the curb!
    The prize I won was a month of personal training at the Personal Training Institute - the machines are what they do - it is their specialty. The facility didn't have a free weight section, just every machine imaginable.
  • lilkitn
    lilkitn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First of all, thanks for asking such a great question. I've learned a few things reading through the answers and have to say there's some really good information from alot of people here. I just wanted to add this book that helped me out: 101 Workouts for Women by Muscle and Fitness Hers. It's really nice where it's sorted everything out into body parts so you can see what you're working. It has free weights and a few machine exercises too. It also has some routines in the back you can try, but I prefer making my own. I don't lift heavy myself yet, (I've just started back at the gym again) but I've always enjoyed using free weights when I can over the machines, and I love the cables. Have fun!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I do think a trainer is worth the money- esp a good one, one good with free weights. I specifically got the bodybuilding dude at my gym rather than the skinny chicks bc it was (and is) clear to me that he knows the details best, is up on the literature, practice what he preaches, etc.

I think form is actually quite challenging. I've read and watched videos and practiced squats for several weeks and I think my form is still a little stinky compared to what I want it to be. There are so many details to keep straight and someone watching and giving hands on, real time feedback is invaluable.
  • Lovemyink
    Options
    Check out Wendler 5/3/1 Program. I've been lifting for years but this program has a simple template and you focus on major lifts like bench, squats, deadlifts and OHP and then you get to use whatever assistance work you want. I have done one wave (4 weeks) and already noticed strength increases.

Kick *kitten* at whatever you decide to do and good job on your achievements thus far
  • lyndsei
    lyndsei Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Responses in line
    How to maintain proper form - check out youtube videos of the exercises. If you're lifting solo try to film yourself doing the lift so you can compare to said youtube videos later (I have a kickstand on my ipod and it works pretty well when I want to check form). If you have a specific program you want to do, I or any number of folks on here who know this stuff better than I do can give a few video suggestions. Have you decided on a program? I know you said you didn't want a book, but the best advice I can give you to help with lifting is to decide on a program and follow it.

How to know what weights to start with - start as light as possible, so just the 45 lb bar with squats or bench (if that's still tough use a smaller bar or do body weight to build a baseline) and increase every time you lift. It should be extremely easy for the first few weeks at least so you can work on perfecting your form. I restarted lifting again this year, and for the month of January I was lifting about 25% what I'm lifting this month just because I wanted to make sure my form was still right.

Safety info - start light, check videos talking about form, always err on the side of safety, especially if you're lifting alone. If you're very strict with form, the lift may be harder but you will be less likely to get injured.

Do I need gloves? - When you get to very heavy weights, I find gloves to be more of a liability than an assist. It's much harder for me to grip with gloves than with bare hands+a little chalk. That being said, as a guy I don't care if I have a ton of calluses on my hands. I'd say start without gloves, and see how it impacts your hands. If it makes them too rough or whatever, get gloves. You certainly don't 'need' them though.