What is your take on counting calories burned while cleaning

Options

Replies

• mpop5
    mpop5 Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't feel bad. People just LOVE to give their opinions. Most of them actually motivated me to go clean more (and no, I am not going to count it). Great thread!
  • donthatethesexyme
    Options
    I agree that they shouldn't be logged. At least not for me. I have logged them once for cleaning only because I had seen other do so and was curious about how much I burned. That was when I was doing a major front to back top to bottom type of cleaning. Not just washing dishes...was really tempted to log an hours worth though.... (I work at a gas station and scrubbed that place top tobbottom. Was dripping wet after that and my heart retention was decently up while srubbing like a maniac lol) but I felt like I was cheating so since it was still on my list I entered the mins just to see what it said but didn't actually log it. I guess to each their own though. Good luck with your fitness everyone!
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My car has recently broken and i am now walking everywhere which.is.out.of the ordinary but i wont log it as exercise because i am not sweating like mad but i certainly am getting more exercise
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If it's normal picking up, vacuuming and floor mopping... I don't count it.

If it's the kind of cleaning I do when company's coming over, in particular company who are allergic to cats when we have seven... I log that kind of cleaning. If I have to move furniture, it's exercise.

I also log yardwork in the summer (pruning trees and mowing the lawn, not planting petunias) and shoveling sidewalks in the winter.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't log house cleaning because I don't have a heart rate monitor and I think MFP already overestimates the calories I burn with the actual workouts that I log.
  • SamSlim2012
    Options
    Cleaning is working, depends on how hard you work, how long, and what your weight is. There are a lot of sources on the web that tell you how many calories you burn doing such things.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    Maybe they burn that many calories if the clean for 6 hours like I do on cleaning day.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I think carrying the weight of all that judgement should count as exercise for some :wink:

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291071-activity-level-and-logging-exercise
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    First: People who are active and enjoy all-around good health; quit judging other people! You obviously have no idea what it's like to be disabled or recovering from an illness or having been unable to do any physical activity at all. If you aren't here to encourage and help someone, JUST KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF IT AND YOUR MOUTH SHUT!! You will do more harm than good.

With that said:
    Sedentary lifestyle does not include doing household chores so, if a person is logging their housework as an activity, that would be extra for the lifestyle they entered into MFP. If they are overestimating the calories burned, they are only sabotaging themselves and will not lose the weight they are expecting to lose. If a person weighs 300 pounds, they will burn more calories than a person weighing 150 pounds, no matter what the activity. So, how are they affecting you when they miscalculate burned calories for activities? :huh: If this is being done by one of your friends, maybe you should suggest a site where they can get some good information instead of going behind their back and creating, or negatively commenting in, a post about how stupid/dishonest/whatever you think they are. You know like; "Hey, I see you are logging your housework. I know a good site where you can get info on calories burned for housework."

Here's one (of many) links to a site that estimates calories burned performing household chores/yardwork. Keep in mind one actually has to be *doing* the activity solid for the estimated times:
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/calories-burned-doing-household-chores.html

I'm sure the beginners here are still learning about calories, exercise, and the art of managing them. Give 'em a break.

PS I noticed several people made some of the same points while I was composing this post. :smile:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Well...some of you offered great insight, other posts just reminded me why I never post anything. My intentions were not to "call people out" or look down on them. I was just wondering why people logged what I thought were every day things. OBVIOUSLY I had not considered some of the very points that were mentioned such as physical ability to perform those tasks. My bad. That's why I asked. It didn't need to be twisted and turned to make me look like I was judging someone for logging their 'light to moderate effort' cleaning. It's THEIR food log, THEIR workout and THEIR own accountability.

And if someone who logs every second of dusting sees this I'm sure it's not the most discouraging thing they've ever stumbled upon on this board. Oh please.

i see no other purpose in your OP than to point out; when other people are doing something other than YOUR way, it's probably wrong..
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I actually have a cautionary tale about this. I am listed as sedentary because I have a desk job but on the weekends I am typically on my feet all day. I also tend to do blow out work outs on the weekends where I burn in the 1000 calorie range. Last weekend I ate about 1400 calories, burned about 800 calories in a run, shopped for 2.5 hours, cooked for 3 hours, cleaned for two hours, then went to a party. I had 6 drinks (I know, still a lot) and I puked. I used to be able to drink much more. It was a combination of things, including that I don't drink that much anymore and I've lost quite a bit of weight. Then I backed up and realized after all of my activities and work out, I was in a pretty major calorie deficit - much more than I realized. I would have been better off tracking at least some of those calories and eating them back.

Bad behavior all around but I'm just being real.

I agree. I think people tend to think about this the wrong way round. What you're trying to do is eat a predefined amount of calories which will be a deficit to your requirements when you are trying to lose weight. That amount is calculated based on what you're eating and what you're expending and aims to keep the weight loss at a controlled, steady rate. Because definitions of "sedentary", "lightly active" etc differ vastly between people* and fitness levels, amongst a host of other factors, vary , an individual may or may not need to log their housework calories. It's about getting your net calorie intake right and that's it.

* for example If I drive to my sedentary desk job do I need more or less calories than if I walk? What about if I employ a cleaner?
  • MandeeSue
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit everyday, so it adds calories to MFP auto. Whether or not it was a workout or cleaning. I have a home daycare so I clean alot, but my Fitbit tells me that I am sedentary. To me a calorie is a calorie, and if you are up and moving your burning ! I felt bad the first week of wearing my fitbit cause I couldn't believe how 400 calories was added to MFP just doing my everyday normal routine. But once I realized that Im moving and burning that is all that matters. So if someone wants to add that they cleaned..well good for them and if they burnt 500 cals while doing it..then they must have a really clean house :) Everyone is different, and looks at things in their own way..Just the other day I used the timer on my FB, while I cleaned and had music on and danced around the kitchen with my 2 year old...I logged that as "Mandas cleanin&dancin" So if someone thinks it was "lazy" or "stupid" to log it in, well thats fine. Atleast everyone knows I cleaned..lol I don't log that everyday, but when I first started mfp I did..cause I was so excited to a calorie burn listed on there I guess. But everyone does things there own way, and who are we to judge them for that IMO :)
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    If you have your activity level set to sedentary, then pretty much any activity beyond sitting on your butt is going to be considered "extra". Not to mention, every single one of us is different. Obviously if you work out for 40 minutes at the gym, then you are probably in a LOT better shape than those people logging a 500 calorie burn cleaning their house. Weight plays a big factor on how much you burn during any given activity. Many people on here are going from pretty much zero physical activity and trying to do what they can to get themselves moving. So for those individuals, cleaning house *is* a big freaking deal, and it very well could burn 500 calories. (Depending on how long they did it and how vigorously they were going about their business.)

Bottom line: What does it matter? Consider yourself lucky that you aren't in a position to consider housecleaning a form of exercise. It doesn't harm you in the least bit if these other people log their cleaning time. However, you could very well be harming someone else's progress by calling them out in a post like this. Maybe one of those people ends up seeing this and says "Forget it. It doesn't count. It doesn't matter. Why don't I just continue to sit on my *kitten*?" Because I assure you that there are plenty of people on here for whom an hour of housecleaning is a big freaking deal, and minimizing their efforts is humiliating and unnecessary.

well said!

Agree'd Here is why..
    I just got into losing weight, so If I do cleaning, I will log it. It just all depends on how that week went. I was in bed for the last year with medical issues, so for me as she said.. It's a big freaking deal. If I have done some house work, hubby comes home and knows I am in a good mood, or feeling well. In fact, he is the one who tells me I should wear my HRM doing this, because It is out of my norm.. Once I start working out more, and all that, I will no longer log it, but for me it's a big deal and accomplishment to be able to do it.

I would also like to add to my Original Post, that I use a HRM when doing this stuff, so it's not a MFP estimation...
  • lcpurser
    lcpurser Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cleaning....

Probably only my super scrub relatives are coming to stay for a week and we have a dog whose fur gets EVERYWHERE so you srub and pull and rake out fur at baseboards then go spastic on all 3 of the bathrooms while dancing to loud music between rooms cleaning :)

I do this! And when I am daning around the house cleaning and breaking a sweat, I log it as dancing general.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't and I wouldn't because it is not out of my norm to do some of these things, but sometimes I do wonder what I am burning. I tend to be a little obsessive over the cleanliness in my house, and I have animals that shed and track in mud. I on a daily basis and sometimes multiple times a day, hand wash all of the linoleum in my house due to dogs tracking in dirt. And then I go with a brush and a wet towel and I brush a spot of carpet and then wipe with damp towel to pick up the majority of the hair and then I vacuum, carpet is blue btw so it just kills me to see it white and nasty. I did admit I am obsessive and compulsive over my house right? LOL But I sweat really good sometimes while I do it so sometimes I have wondered!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would assume stuff like that is part of your daily allowance. Given all the estimation involved all day long, my general rule has become to underestimate calories burned and overestimate calories eaten. If you are looking to count every activity as calories burned, you are going to wind up thinking you can eat more than you can, and your results will be disappointing.

Just my opinion of course.
  • wantasmallbummum
    wantasmallbummum Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I personally dont class the exercise calories as calories I can use. Surely that way the exercise has done you good and you'll lose more. If having a snack is more important then do the exercise for that. I agree though I dont think housework is an exercise, just a horrible necessity.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set to sedentary, then pretty much any activity beyond sitting on your butt is going to be considered "extra". Not to mention, every single one of us is different. Obviously if you work out for 40 minutes at the gym, then you are probably in a LOT better shape than those people logging a 500 calorie burn cleaning their house. Weight plays a big factor on how much you burn during any given activity. Many people on here are going from pretty much zero physical activity and trying to do what they can to get themselves moving. So for those individuals, cleaning house *is* a big freaking deal, and it very well could burn 500 calories. (Depending on how long they did it and how vigorously they were going about their business.)

Bottom line: What does it matter? Consider yourself lucky that you aren't in a position to consider housecleaning a form of exercise. It doesn't harm you in the least bit if these other people log their cleaning time. However, you could very well be harming someone else's progress by calling them out in a post like this. Maybe one of those people ends up seeing this and says "Forget it. It doesn't count. It doesn't matter. Why don't I just continue to sit on my *kitten*?" Because I assure you that there are plenty of people on here for whom an hour of housecleaning is a big freaking deal, and minimizing their efforts is humiliating and unnecessary.

This.^^^ 100% agree with you
  • NZGeekGirl
    Options
    I log cleaning if I'm doing something like an hour intensive cleaning over and above my normal day to day housework. My activity is listed as sedentary so it's over and above "normal" activity. As I get more active though I'll increase my activity level and not log such things.
  • DRDancer
    DRDancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options