~~Midnight Shift Workers~~

Options
2»

Replies

• mbissey
    Options
    I work 10p-6a 5 days a week with a bit of overtime occasionally. I log my food from wake-up to sleep regardless of how many hours I'm up or what day it falls on. I broke my log into 4 hour blocks of time. Keeps it simple especially on those days when I have to be up during the day.

I usually get up between 2 and 4 in the afternoon. Eat something around 300-400 calories. Go to the gym after 6 for an hour. Home to shower and have dinner (about 400 calories) before I leave for work. At work, I eat 3-4 times. Yogurt, fruit, half sandwich with cut veggies and hummus, apple and almond butter, Nugo bars, leftovers...pretty much anything. Home in bed by 7am.

I average 1600-2000 calories a day and work out 5-6 days a week. I don't eat or log exercise calories. I just eat. It's working so far...I'm down 10 lbs since the new year.
  • Trinketona
    Options
    I work from 10pm to 6am and have the same eating schedule as you, but because I dont come into work until 10 I can get my exercise in at 730 or 8.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same shift for 14 years- 12 hours shifts, 2 days, 2 nights, sleep, 3 off. 630-630. I don't log midnight to midnight, my MFP day starts when i wake and ends when i sleep. That means on my first night shift I over-eat (get up 1pm, sleep 7am next day), then my first day off (get up 2pm, bed 11pm) I undereat, but it evens out.

I have the opposite problem to the OP, I have trouble sticking to my limits, so I prepare and take everything with me, space it out. My colleague love to bring in unhealthy food and share it around, they get offended if i refuse, so i usually accept gracefully and later ditch it!
  • JFray0427
    Options
    I have ALWAYS been a procrastinator which has driven me to poor food choices. I completely understand not being able to eat on some nights working 7p-7a. Hope this helps you with some food/preparation ideas:

I usually plan to eat right before work (ex. grilled chicken, turkey burger (no bun) b/c we hit the ground running. Then I try to have a QUICK snack around 11-1130pm (ex 10-15 medium frozen shrimp that takes less than a min to defrost with a string cheese or 2 deviled eggs, etc.). I try to eat again around 230-3am (ex. gortens frozen blackened tilapia, salad). Also, peanuts/cashews/yogurt/banana, etc. are quick and convienent in-between snacks. I allow myself to have diet soda or monster zero for caffeine/energy.

It takes a lot of planning and self-discipline on my part. Our cafeteria is closed on nights which is helpful. I try to avoid the snack machines at all costs. If other employees are ordering pizza and such, I just say no thank you. It is hard, but I already feel so much better. (p.s. - I'm not a big veggie eater so if you like veggies: carrots, celery, etc are also great snacks)

I also consider the start of my day as when I wake up (usually around 3-4pm) and the end of my day at 8am when I go to sleep as far as logging in my food diary. I don't consider midnight the end of my day if that helps.
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work 7p-7a Friday nights Saturday nights and Sunday nights. I count my calories from 12a to 12a. I changed my settings to reflect 4hour blocks: 12a-4a,4a-8a,8a-noon,noon-4p,4p-8p,8p-midnight.

It is so hard to not snack/munch all night long especially when I'm not busy at work. I pack a bag for work that includessnackable food: Crunch Pak Apple Slices w/ carmel dip 70cal, carrots and hummus, canteloupes, watermelon, Pictsweet Deluxe Edamame. I also pack a salad along w/ a 400 cal or less microwavable dinner (i.e. Amy's, Lean Cuisine, Smart One) or something sensible. I find that I don't eat all that but if I do it is OK. I am also doing the Slim Fast for two meals a day-I will be switching to a Protein Mix soon.

On my days/nights that I work, I usually sleep from 8a-2 or 3:30p. When I wake up I drink coffee and about an hour before I leave for work I will make me a Slim-Fast using the mix, soy milk and some frozen fruit. I eat dinner at work, and sometime between 5a-6a I will drink another Slim-Fast for breakfast. And of course, I have all my snacks. I also drink ALOT of water through out my shift- I'm talking almost a gallon a night.

On my days off, I eat normal hours and continue to try to munch on fruit/veggies.

This probably the best thing but for now it works for me. I am open to any new ideas/suggestions.
  • supernurse_stacy
    Options
    I'm a Nurse and I flip between 7a-7p and 7p-7a. I start "charting my food at midnight and go till 1159 that night. This way no matter what all my food is there. So sometimes like yesterday my breakfast is at 1am and my lunch was at 10a at mcdonalds w/ a coworker (bad choice) but moving past it. I've fallen off the wagon but hopped back on and am down 46lbs. The midnight to midnight is what works best for me.

This is what I do....My breakfast may be 2am one morning or 10am the next. I just log mine from midnight to midnight.
  • bigsean72
    bigsean72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I work a five and 2 schedule. 7p to 7a one week i work five days the next I work 2. My eating habits are flip flopped but I make it work.
  • amiles21693
    Options
    I work the overnight shift at FedEx and its tough when trying to diet and excercise regularly!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    meeeeeeeeeeee

other night/swing shifters, feel free to add me!

I work in an ER where I'm on my feet often, but am also constantly tempted by food brought in by EMS, or doctors or the other staff. It's hard to remember that one little cookie is worth several minutes of hardcore cardio, and not just "walking a little faster" like the nurses try to pretend is enough.
  • banditbonnie
    banditbonnie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a 3rd shifter, too. My breakfast is sometimes dinner foods. It's a crazy life.
  • anthonysarchangel
    anthonysarchangel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love working midnight shift, but it does make it difficult to figure out meal times. I really can't complain because for the last 7 years I have had the same schedule with some overtime. My schedule is 2 eight hour shifts and 2 twelve hour shifts and 3 days off. As I am getting older however, it is getting more difficult to flip to dayshift on my days off. I also volunteer a lot with church so I am usually busy on my days off.

I am fortunate because I have a lot of down time at work. I am a police dispatcher/911 operator and in the wee hours I could use my kettle bells, get on my aerobic bench or do videos in my office, but I get tired and very unmotivated. Any suggestions?
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I work 11P.M.-9:30/wheneverifinallygetoutofthereA.M., i log midnight to midnight. Breakfast at 4am, sleep through lunch, dinner with the family, lots of snacks. I work tues-fri. feel free to look at my diary. I live like a normal person on weekends. I also do a long bike trip/hike/rock climb on my weekend as i don't do too much on work days.