Alcohol sucks

Options

Replies

• mandy_freeman
    Options
    Gave it up 2 years ago when I saw the calories. I don't miss the buzz, don't miss the hangovers and love the left over coin in my pocket.

AMEN!
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    What? Noooo! :noway: *shudders and keeps sippin* :drinker:
  • salberic
    Options
    Yes, its a love hate relationship. Wish could get the buzz minus the calories and hangovers. To drink or not to drink.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the buzz but I try to avoid it as much as possible because of the immense calories... I'd rather eat my calories!
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well why your saving your money you guys are killing my pockets. I'm a bartender and rely on you to drink and tip:) All jokes aside I very rarely drink anymore and it's because I'm sick of the day after. Feeling like **** and being worthless for an entire day just isn't worth it anymore. I enjoy being responsible, just don't spread that around lol!
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I miss beer. Sadly, it's just too many calories.:sad:
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, I know it is empty calories, but I do like to have a pleasant buzz, I do not like having a hangover. My New Year's resolution was to get back to running on a regular basis and to run races/runs again. I have cut way back on my alcohol consumption and I am thinking about giving up altogether or only drinking sociallly.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I love alcohol, not one bad thing to say about it.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    So yeah, eventually I realized I was killing myself and what exactly was the point of that? I wasn't happy anyway. So I joined AA, doesn't work for everyone obvs, but works for me. Plenty of people can drink and be fine- I am not one of those people :noway:

I just celebrated 15 months of sobriety on February 20th and I can honestly say that I don't miss it at all. It was destroying me and I didn't realize it. I am thankful I never got a DUI, lost a job, a family etc. but the reality is I lost myself. It was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made BUT I am grateful that I have the opportunity to get to know who I am, deal with my feeling/emotions on a real level and not cringe when I look in the mirror after a binge.

I have applied some of the "Steps" to deal with my food and body issues as well. Thanks to AA, I have found a new way to live.

My husband and some friends still drink and I'm ok with that, they haven't lost their right to drink but I have.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The negative affects of alcohol you're all speaking of don't come from the booze, they come from overindulgence. Beer and wine both make fantastic beverage complements to most meals and a drink shared with friends is never a wasted moment. Instead of blaming alcohol for your hangovers and poor decisions, you should all take personal responsibility for your actions and blame yourselves.

*adjusts beer4life sash*
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, worse hangovers more often, just makes me sleepy, etc. I really don't even enjoy it anymore =/ but when I was in my 20's.....oh man .
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The negative affects of alcohol you're all speaking of don't come from the booze, they come from overindulgence. Beer and wine both make fantastic beverage complements to most meals and a drink shared with friends is never a wasted moment. Instead of blaming alcohol for your hangovers and poor decisions, you should all take personal responsibility for your actions and blame yourselves.

*adjusts beer4life sash*
    Word.

Got a Wine4Life sash I can wear?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

*adjusts beer4life sash*
    Word.

Got a Wine4Life sash I can wear?

Of course! I keep it in my fancy wine-fan hope chest! *rummaging for wine sash*
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I notice you said- "10 years ago" it didn't affect you as much. That's one of the issues. I never thought that I would drink less-- I do love my wine-- but the older I get, the less I can drink and still feel half-way decent in the morning. Of course, not helping is the fact that many mornings I wake up with a "hangover" and realize I didn't drink the night before. What's up with that? Here's to clean living!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I drink on a fairly regular basis, but I don't know why anymore. It's usually fun while I'm doing it, but the way it effects me (hangover breakfasts, smoking while drunk, etc.) doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. It's so hard to cut back though, because all of my friends drink, and when they do it, I want to too. :/

I drink pretty regularly as well but i always pass out before I get so drunk that I have a hangover.
  • rejs1170
    rejs1170 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have been a very heavy drinker for years. I was never realy in control, just kept drinking until I felt numb, fell asleep, or worse. Lost friends, lost jobs, almost destroyed my marriage.

I am not sure if I can really give it up entirely, but I am now down to drinking 1-2 times per week, instead of every night, but I am not sure I can go all the way...yet.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

*adjusts beer4life sash*

QFT

Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up- The Ataris
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    I have never been a big drinker, for the reasons you listed. I never liked any of that, even when it wasn't "that bad." I will have a drink rarely, maybe three or four times a year, but generally speaking, I am a tetotaler :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I have actually started drinking MORE since on MFP. All those damn wine drinkers on my FL have my scoping out new things to try at the store.

It's all about moderation and perspective. Obviously if alcohol causes problems for you aside from mere calorie count, then by all means you should address that. Otherwise pass me a corkscrew.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

*adjusts beer4life sash*

I love you, you know this. You're my Kortyboo....but even just one glass of wine makes me feel laughy and happy, but it also makes me feel like crap. I have stopped drinking often because I get tired of my stomach burning from just a tiny amount.