QUESTION ON WEIGHING MYSELF

Options
I started counting my calories on Sunday after my doctors visit on Saturday. I have one problem I don't own a scale especially for my weight. The doctor told me it would cost me anywhere between 50-60 dollars to purchase one. I really don't have any funds to purchase a scale. I am wondering what can I do in the meantime until I can get back to my doctors in 2 months to weight myself? Any suggestions?

Replies

• happy2bscrappin
    Options
    I started counting my calories on Sunday after my doctors visit on Saturday. I have one problem I don't own a scale especially for my weight. The doctor told me it would cost me anywhere between 50-60 dollars to purchase one. I really don't have any funds to purchase a scale. I am wondering what can I do in the meantime until I can get back to my doctors in 2 months to weight myself? Any suggestions?
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a few suggestions
    1) Take measurements on your arms, legs, rear, hips, stomach and chest once a month. Also, take note of how your clothes start to feel lose.
    2) Focus on how good you are feeling and how proud and happy you are that you are making such a positive change in your life :smile: Some of the additional benefits I started to notice from eating healthy and working out include more energy, less stress, improved breathing and sleeping, better mood, better immune system (I hardly ever get sick!) and just an overall feeling of well being and pride in myself.

I know it may feel like you have a long way to go, but remember that you have already taken some of the hardest steps -- commiting to changing your life and seeking support from others. You are not alone, many of us have been were you are and you CAN do this! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

regular scales go up to 350lbs- all other scales that go higher cause alot more- I work in a high risk pregnancy office and we have a few morbidly obese patients and we can't weigh them however we talked to a few offices that generally see morbid obese patients and they told us to get 2 digital scales and stand with 1 foot on each and add that # together-

or you could just wait the 2 months to weigh in
  • teresa_inmon
    teresa_inmon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    go somewhere to weigh yourself. YOu can go to the doctor's office and weigh anytime. I used to do that a long time ago.
  • AngelaBeaulieu
    AngelaBeaulieu Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with teresa. You don't need an appointment just walk-in and ask to be weighed.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    ummmmmmmmmm 50-60 $?? go to Walmart, mine cost 8$. Or weigh in at the gym!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym they should have one. If you have a wii, the WiiFit board acts like a scale. Walk into a pharmacy, they usually have a couple scales sitting out.

Or you can go purely by measurement. This is sometimes a better idea if numbers bouncing up and down might discourage you, because sometimes scales don't tell you the whole truth :)
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Costco has a scale that goes to 400 lbs and is only $25.
  • cookydt
    cookydt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I didn't own a scale.
    You could make it a personal challenge to do the very best you can for those 2 months. It could be fun and a great surprise for you and your doc when you see the final results! Good luck to you....let us know how you do! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SaraDWhittle
    SaraDWhittle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might talk to your doctors office, and see if they would be okay with you comming in once a week and weighing yourself-who knows they may not care. GOOD LUCK :)
  • amanda11475
    amanda11475 Posts: 599
    Options
    If there is an Ikea near you, their scales there are about $5...not quality, but something to start with :happy:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I didn't own a scale.
    You could make it a personal challenge to do the very best you can for those 2 months. It could be fun and a great surprise for you and your doc when you see the final results! Good luck to you....let us know how you do! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I think this is a great idea!

Kinda like freedom from the scale for 2 months!:happy:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    From what I am gathering by the post as well as the persons profile is that she may weigh more than the max on regular scales- so a 5.00 scale that maxes at a certain # of pounds may not help-

But thats just what I am gathering maybe I am wrong
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Go to target! My local target is starting to clearance some more scales this last couple of weeks. I bought a digital one that was a "biggest loser" one. It is made by Taylor, orignal price was 60 bucks but I got it for 6 bucks because the scales were down to 90% off!

Also, even a cheap scale will help you. There will be instructions on where you might want to place your scale and how to calibrate your scale because regular old school dial scales can get bumped around and produce different numbers.
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ah heck just go to wal mart put one on the floor and weigh yourself. You have to try them out before you buy one right? They wont say anything there is your free weigh in.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated go to your doctors office every week and asked to be weighed. Just ask does it cost anything. Personally when I was over 300 I didn't weigh for 3 months by then I was able to use a regular scale.:flowerforyou:

I like the freedom from scale idea. :smile: