1200 a day for a week and i have put on not lost HELP???

Options
I have been doing my fitness pal for a week now being really good sticking to the 1200 cal and exercising 3 times a week and i have put on 2lb anyone know why ????help

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have been doing my fitness pal for a week now being really good sticking to the 1200 cal and exercising 3 times a week and i have put on 2lb anyone know why ????help
    It's because you're only eating 1200 calories.
  • CaitlinFrost
    Options
    Change takes longer then a week. :)

You should be eating what suits your stats (weight etc etc).

There is a good chance that you are actually not eating enough, your body is probably holding onto what you do eat because of this.
    Figure out your BMR and go from there. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your body can take some time to adjust to a new routine - keep at it (and 1200 is a minimum...) and dont give up!
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A week alone is not indicative of how you are doing with your diet, it could be water retention, muscle-growth etc etc etc. going forward, jut keep up the good work with exercise (eating back those exercise calories) and otherwise staying within your calorie limit and eating good, wholesome food. If you do this, the weight will start dropping off.
  • jdkw
    jdkw Posts: 1
    Options
    Check the sodium levels. did you drink 8+ glasses of water each day? Did you workout alot? work out hard? Muscle weighs more than fat. Have a BM lately? All things to take into account.

One week is not long enough to judge your progress. Keep going you can do it.

Possibly up your calories to 1400 for 1 or 2 days - staying within sodium - drink more water - and it may help boost your metabolism to burn more/harder.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you're building muscle it can take awhile for the scale to move. I only lost 2.5 lbs. the first five weeks, but I lost 17.75 inches.
  • gimpyfriend
    Options
    :cry: Im having the same problem. Im not eating 1200 calories a day, only eating 7-900 calories daily because i cant. I had gastric by pass on Jan. 19, 2012. Im following their plan and it does have me eating alot of protien (60-70 grams a day in protien shakes in addition to food). I have lost inches, but the scale isnt moving this week (its my third week) and I too check it everyday (which is not good to do). I FIGURE ALL THE PROTIEN IS BUILDING ME MUSCLE AND IT DOES WEIGH MORE THAN FAT!!!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    It takes longer than a week to see much change, but you are possibly not eating enough.

5 lbs of fat is much bulkier than the 5 lbs of muscle, but five pounds is still five pounds. Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html This will show you.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Please people,muscle does not weigh more than fat!

1 pound of muscle=I pound of fat

They weigh the same,muscle is just more dense.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I'd give it more time,you've only been doing this a week.

I would up your calorie intake and give it 2-3 weeks. See what happens.

Consider strength training as well,lifting heavy weights. Lifting weights does wonders.:)
  • getfitwithaimee
    Options
    I have found that the calorie calculations in here are low. I had already been following an eating plan, knew how many calories worked for me in order to lose weight, etc and started using MyFitnessPal just as a tracking device. And when i set up my account it told me 1200 a day as well. My plan i had been following and losing on already i was eating 1900 calories! So i though i would try the 1200 for a few days and i too gained and felt horrible - so i'm back at my 1900 calories and just using MFP as a tracking tool and nothing else. So my point being 1200 might not be enough for you either. When we don't eat enough calories are body won't let us burn off fat - it goes into "starvation" mode. Hope that helps :)
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS. It probably sounds scary to increase your calories when you're gaining, but 1200 calories is just too low. Increase it for a week and continue with the exercise and see what happens. :flowerforyou:
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Put the scale away for awhile. That's what worked for me.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options

this, try eating more in my opinion

good luck :wink:
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm set for 1230 calories a day. And I've lost faithfully but it consists of whole grains , lean meats , nuts , fruits , etc. 100 calories from an apple is different than 100 calories worth of bacon. And when I workout , I EAT back my calories. So some days I'm really eating about 1500-1600 calories. Keep up the good work and you'll see results ! I know I have , and I've only been here a few days over 1 month.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Please please please STOP saying they're building muscle...not on 1200 calories a day.

With that said, it is most likely water weight from exercise (assuming you are accurate in your calorie count). Water weight can also be cause by your monthly cycle and a high sodium diet. Nothing to fret about. Weight loss trends should really be seen month to month rather than day to day or week to week.

I doubt it's starvation mode (a term overly abused anyway by those who truly DON"T understand what it means). But I do suggest you fuel your activity level. MFP is set up in a way that doesn't include your exercise in your activity level. Once you add exercise in, you must eat at least some of those calories to avoid too large of a deficit (which can cause muscle loss, and thus a decreased metabolism)
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    IMO if you want the MFP folks to give you solid advice/suggestions, open up your food diary... and make sure you are eating your BMR...

Good luck on your journey to being HEALTHY!!!!

J
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No need to be rude I think the point the previous poster was trying to make was VERY obvious to the rest of us. AKA a pound of muscle looks denser than fat. I think we are all intelligent enough to know that a pound= a pound regardless of what we are comparing :smile:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options

My advice- don't automatically start at the lowest calorie goal, because you have nowhere to go from there if you need to break out of a plateau. I would say up your calorie goal and eat back at least some of your exercise calories. And stick with it. The weight didn't pile on overnight, and its not going to come off overnight. Also, the #1 piece of advice I give people- generally, if you aim to be healthy (minimal processed foods, lots of lean protein, fruits, veggies, fiber, drink water; exercise regularly) the weight usually takes care of itself. Hang in there!
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options

This may or may not be accurate. I lose by eating 1200 calories and exercising every day. Sometimes I eat some of my exercise calories back; sometimes I don't.

When you first start exercising, sometimes your muscle retain some water. The 2 lbs cd be that.

Hang in there ... If you search this topic (about 1200 calories and eating back exercise calories), you will learn a lot from other people's experiences.