Why are YOU getting fit and healthy?

Options
Turning the why are you fat thread into positive thinking

Why are YOU getting fit and healthy?

I didn't choose losing weight as it is soooo much more than just numbers

But what are your reasons?

Mine are:
Me - to feel better about myself, to live longer (I hope), to be fitter and to feel stronger
My family - to be a better role model to my girls. To be around longer and physically more active with them

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    To look good, feel great and live long.:drinker:
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well I wasn't overweight until I became sick, laid in bed recuperating, quit smoking and had to retire. From then on it life went down and my weight went up and my self esteem, went way down esp from retiring. It was not in my plan at the time to retire neither was stopping smoking, sorry to say! My doctor told me to lose and I was horrified. I had NEVER been told to lose weight. That was it!!! I need to reclaim myself, and me. All my clothes in my closet are collecting dust. Also, perhaps when I feel better about myself I can start dating again, just to make more friends and get out of the house.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I wanted to enter my 50s at a much more comfortable and healthy weight. I was as already "fit" from regular exercise, but I wasn't necessarily "healthy" as my weight kept creeping up. over the years.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    to feel better about my self, and not want to throw up every time i look in the mirror. i wanted to be able to go shirtless this summer with out feeling bad about my muffin top..lol. so now that the muffin top is almost gone and getting some definitiion there its getting better plus i dropped my jean size from a size 38 to a size 34 !
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Great reasons and having entered my 40's lower in weight han my 30's it did feel good. :wink:
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I enjoy life and want it to continue for as long as possible without complications that I can influence by striving to be in good health
  • improve2012
    improve2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I want to be the best parent I can be.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It all started as a family competition.

The four of us, My mom and us three sisters, decided we needed a little motivation to kick the 15-20% extra body weight that was tagging along on each of us. We all threw $50 into the pot and whoever looses the biggest % of weight by March 25th gets a $150 pair of jeans bought for them. (or $200 if they want to spend their own $50)

This is a picture we took together in the beginning of january, when I fly back in March we will have a weigh in and shopping day!

I hope it's me of course, but I am just glad we are doing it together and all pretty successfully.

From Left to right:

Me 26 married no kids, Mom 49 married 3kids, Sarah 27 married 3 kids, Jordan 17 In a relationship and no kids.

DSCN4590-1.jpg
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight my reasons were:
    1. Look hot!
    2. Be healthy.

This time:
    1. BE HEALTHY! I have a chronic disease that makes getting the proper nutrition a battle, so I HAVE to watch what I eat to make sure it's all healthy food since I can't eat much at all at the moment.
    2. I still want to look hot, but my priorities have changed. Healthy first, hot second! ;)
    3. To prove to myself that even though I'm sick, I can still have a rockin body instead of a sick looking body :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1) fight off the diabetes type II. found out I had them Dec. 2009. kicked them in the "no no" place. Jan 2011 no more diabetes or meds! my doctor said I can easily get them again so I keep it up

2) clothes. it's kinda nice and also weird being able to walk into most stores and actually find clothes that fit. not needing to "special order" online. I still shop the Big & Tall section but mostly because of the Tall part now from being 6'3. I went from 5-6XL shirt to currently 2XL and now those are starting to feel just a little too big now.

3) feel better overall. naturally shy around the opposite sex. I need the confidence or be foreveralone.jpg lol
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I wanted to live to past 30, be around a long time for the wife kids, be a great example, to look better and to raise my confindence
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I want to feel confident about the way I look, and be healthy.
  • Arrietty
    Options
    Generally to feel better and not be conscious of being conscious of how I look. Especially in comparison to my boyfriend. He's mug better lookin than me. I don't want people to feel. Sorry for him for bein with me. Also holiday in a few months. :)
  • Arrietty
    Options
    Generally to feel better and not be conscious of being conscious of how I look. Especially in comparison to my boyfriend. He's much better lookin than me. I don't want people to feel. Sorry for him for bein with me. Also holiday in a few months. :)
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    My biggest reason is that I love the outdoors and i love hiking, kayaking, cycling, etc. I want to be in shape so I can do these things more often and more efficiently. I've gone on a few hikes in the years and they were a struggle!

Also want to feel good about myself and not be self conscience in clothes and swim suits.
  • positivelylisa
    positivelylisa Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My health 'numbers' are all great! Cholesterol good and bad, blood pressure, sugar, etc. all good. But I'm horribly unfit/out of shape. I want to hit my mid 40's looking like those numbers and feeling like running after my seven year old and enjoying my 18 year old.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have a family history of all kinds of heart related issues - congestive heart failure, heart attacks, bypass surgeries... if it is heart related, likely someone in my family has had issues with it. Usually these issues start to show up around the age of 35. I was 34 when I started this journey and honestly? I was on my way to becoming just another one of my family members - overweight with heart issues. I decided I wanted to stop the cycle with myself. I did it to lose weight - not so much to look better (though let's face it.. don't we all wanna look better?) but to get my health in check.

I'm happy to say that at 36? My EKG's are "textbook perfect" and my blood work looks "excellent". So, for now? I have altered my own course. :)

And I'll admit.. I wanted to look better for my boyfriend. He's naturally thin and good looking.. I didn't want people to think "WOW! Why is HE with HER?". He fell in love with me when I was nearly 180lbs and never said a word about my weight. He loved me for me. But, *I* wanted to look better.
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    I am 32 and have a 3 1/2 year old and 2 year old. When they are old enough to compete in activity days at school, I will be in my late 30's/early 40's. I want to be able to join in and participate with them instead of being sat on the sidelines being too fat and too old. Also, I am fed up looking like I have had two children :grumble:
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    So I can be healthy, live longer, look better, and feel better about myself.
  • joyvertz
    joyvertz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    to be able to go into any store and buy clothes.