Exercising at night and eating back calories

Options
The only time I have to exercise is usually at night, normally around 8pm for about an hour. If I take a Zumba class that late and burn around 500 calories, am I'm suppose to eat back my calories? Won't that hinder my weight lost because of late night eating?

Does it matter when I eat those calories as long as I burn them off later?

Replies

• mommy4joey
    Options
    I wouldnt eat that late at night. Maybe grab a banana or some other fruit and drink some water.:smile:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    it shouldn't matter. you already burned those calories
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat your calories or when your exercise during the day. A calorie = a calorie.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I eat my calories during the day.... Usually figuring in my exercise so I won't back out of it later!
  • Cruzeleny
    Options
    At that time of the day I would not recommend to eat those calories back.. it can damage your weight loss.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Won't that hinder my weight lost because of late night eating?

No and no.

I eat the majority of my calories late night. I was losing 2 pounds a week when I was eating a deficit.

It really is just calories in vs. out.
  • stevesavage09
    stevesavage09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    if you know your going to burn that many calories then eat them erlyer in the day i have a rule of not eating for 2hrs befor bed but regardless you dont want to go to bed after eating 500 calories so just eat more in the morning
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What I usually do for late night workouts is I usually put my workout in early and plan the whole day as if I already worked it, if you do that is will give you an good estimate of how many calories you'll need to eat then when you do actually work out you can just go in an adjust it if needed. I do this for my night workouts and it works for me!
  • livingfit4god
    Options
    Have a protein shake with water before bed. it will help you feel satisfied and help your metabolism while you sleep.Caisen protein is good for this.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat your calories or when your exercise during the day. A calorie = a calorie.

ding ding.

there are tons of people here on second/graveyard shift who eat late at night and still lose. i'm a night owl who exercised at 2 or 3 in the morning when the weather was less crappy, and i'd eat afterwards. i did not magically gain weight because it was 4:30 and calories only burn off before midnight (and turn into pumpkins later, idk). :p
    frankly the only difficulty i can see is if you eat a lot of heavy foods and you wake up with heartburn or something, but i'm sure if you make sensible food choices it won't be an issue. why don't you try eating that way for a week and see how you feel? if it doesn't work for you, go with what ~stevesavage09 says and eat more earlier in the day.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat late at night every single day. I eat right before I go to bed. I've lost nearly 60lbs and kept it off for 18 months.

Doesn't matter when you eat, it matters what you eat.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    if you know your going to burn that many calories then eat them erlyer in the day i have a rule of not eating for 2hrs befor bed but regardless you dont want to go to bed after eating 500 calories so just eat more in the morning

Why not eat 500 calories and go to bed? I eat far more than 500 calories and go to bed within an hour nearly every single night. I never have any issues with eating before bed. I've been at or below my goal weight for 18 months.....

Seems to work just fine.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    At that time of the day I would not recommend to eat those calories back.. it can damage your weight loss.

Why is that? I do it and I've kept the weight off. If you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight regardless of when you eat. Your body doesn't shut down at a certain point in the day. It digests food 24/7. Going to bed with food in your belly won't make you fat. Your body will still digest it - it doesn't get into your stomach and automatically turn into fat simply because it is later in the day. Honestly? Your body has NO idea what time it is... you eat, it digests it. Calories in/calories out. Eat in a deficit = lose weight. Eat in a surplus = gain. Eat what you're burning = maintenance.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It depends on how large a calorie deficit you have, you don't want to have one larger than 1000 calories. In order to see your calorie deficit you need to change your calorie goals, see here for more info.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/409954-welcome-the-rules
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Won't that hinder my weight lost because of late night eating?

No and no.

I eat the majority of my calories late night. I was losing 2 pounds a week when I was eating a deficit.

It really is just calories in vs. out.

I work graveyard. majority of my excercise is @ 2am. it doesn't matter.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I maybe wrong in what I am doing but I don't stress over eating back those calories. If I am hungry I will eat no matter how late but if I complete a workout and I'm not hungry I don't eat.
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    All that matters is the balance of calories in/out. Don't worry about WHEN you eat them.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I agree with mgpage. If you work out and you are hungry, then eat! If not don't eat. It's about knowing your body and understanding it's messages.
  • Ryan_Marie_
    Ryan_Marie_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would say just figure in the calories earlier that day knowing you will burn them off.