Newbie needs advice

Options
I'm very new to MFP. I signed up yesterday and I fell in love with this site!

I had lap band surgery in October of 2007 and since then I've only kept 30 pounds off. I had originally lost 70 pounds and since have gained 40 back. This has beed very difficult for me to deal with on an emotional level. I've come to a point where I am actually scared that I am going to put myself in an early grave if I don't do something about this now.

The one main issue I am dealing with now, I have sugar cravings every day around 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I work close to 14 hours a day so most of my meals are all planned out including snacks and I try to eat something every 2 hours to keep my metabolism going. For whatever reason I cannot kick the sugar cravings.

Any advice???

186094.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Replies

• hyperunit352
    Options

I had lap band surgery in October of 2007 and since then I've only kept 30 pounds off. I had originally lost 70 pounds and since have gained 40 back. This has beed very difficult for me to deal with on an emotional level. I've come to a point where I am actually scared that I am going to put myself in an early grave if I don't do something about this now.

The one main issue I am dealing with now, I have sugar cravings every day around 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I work close to 14 hours a day so most of my meals are all planned out including snacks and I try to eat something every 2 hours to keep my metabolism going. For whatever reason I cannot kick the sugar cravings.

Any advice???

186094.png
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes.....I have sugar cravings as well. I know it sounds silly, but I started drinking diet cream soda and eating green seedless grapes dipped in Equal. Somthing about that diet cream soda...it tastes really sweet (but oh so good) if you do not like cream soda, try diet root beer.

Sometimes it is not about kicking the habit so much as it is replacing it with something comparable but better.

It has helped a LOT! good luck! Let me know how it works.
  • lilla19
    lilla19 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi there,

I get the same cravings after dinner....i always need just a little something sweet to satisfy me. i keep sugar free jello pudding, swiss miss fat free hot chocolate and dove caramel chocolate pieces on hand for those moments. as long as i'm logging them into MFP then i can have my chocolate fix! have you tried eating fruit?
  • hyperunit352
    Options
    Thank you so much, I'm actually eating grapes at this very moment. I'm going to save them for later and try eating them with equal.

I'll let you know how it works out!! :smile:
  • hyperunit352
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday, but its more of a chocolate craving that I have. I will go out this weekend and stock up on some diet snacks that can act as a substitute.

Thanks!:wink:
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options

Any advice???

186094.png

Congratulations on taking control and reaching out to others for encouragement. I too have just found this site and am so excited to discover all that it offers.

When I have those "sweet" attacks, I have found (just recently) that mandarin oranges in those single serving cups are awesome.
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I find that having dark chocolate (70% or more) really helps me. It took me a bit to get used to the 70% because I was used to chocolate bars. I discovered that when I have dark chocolate I don't eat as much because it satisfies my craving a lot faster.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also had these cravings. Since you are new to this give yourself time. As long as your not feeding the beast in time he'll stop bothering you. Ive been doing this for several weeks and I noticed the longer I do they less the craving come. Good luck and keep it up your worth it!!!:happy: Change doesnt happen over night!!!
  • rivergirl2
    Options
    I like tootsie pops. I have one in the afternoon, log it in. And am very satisfied, it last for awhile. and so far I am still loosing weight. 5 lbs in one week. Are you exercising. Add a full body workout daily, including weights for at least 45 minutes to an hour. You have to exercise or the results will come slow. Good luck
  • hyperunit352
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I have not yet started exercising but I plan on getting a routine started over the weekend. :heart:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    If you want to "kick" the sugar cravings, then you have to go without sugar in your diet. Eating sugar makes you crave more sugar. Eating sugar substitutes also makes you crave more sugar.

However, I'm not saying that you actually have to do this. It's OK to eat sugar in moderation, you don't have to rid it from your diet entirely, you can still be a healthy person and achieve a healthy weight.

Folks have made a lot of good suggestions here. I personally try and limit my sweets to fruit and small amounts of dark chocolate. But, I'll occassionaly have a 1/2 cup serving of Edy's Slow Churned ice cream or a deep chocolate vitamuffin top. Both are very satisfying for about 100 calories per serving.
  • oshow
    oshow Posts: 13
    Options
    I just found Quacker Mini Delights Chocolate Drizel. They are sooooo good. They are individual servings which stops you from eating more then you should (of course you could open another bag but you probably wont) and they are only 90 calories. They are really, really good and very sweet

Also Nestle has candy, I think it's called sticks, it comes in a box and each stick is individually wrapped, again helping you keep to the serving. It comes in different flavors but Iike the dark chocolate ones, I think they are 100 calories, maybe less but definitly not more. It's basically one of those long thin round cookies, I forget what they are called, covered and filled with chocolate. I keep the box in the freezer and when I have to have it, I take one. It has really helped me not feel deprived by filling my sweet craving without going crazy. If your interested, i'll get you the exact name.
  • hyperunit352
    Options
    Thank you so much, I would love to get the name of that product. Anything will help me at this point!!
  • oshow
    Options
    I tried googling quickly and couldn't find it. I ran out the other days o I don't have it in my freezer which is rare, I NEVER let them run out. Here is a link with some info, they are 90 calories, Also Hershey has sticks in different flavors and they are 60 calories, they also come in a box of several individual wrapped sticks and different flavors. Here's a link, it doesn't tell you much but I'll keep looking so I can show you a picture. I'm able to find them in the candy aisle of my grocery store.
    http://www.allbusiness.com/wholesale-trade/merchant-wholesalers-nondurable/607185-1.html
  • hyperunit352
    Options
    thank you so much!!
  • oshow
    Options
    OK I just found a link that will show what it looks like, the box and the bars. It also shows some treasures candy, don't know anything about that, I'm strictly talking about the stixx. They are SOOOO good. Here's the link. http://vegasandfood.blogspot.com/2007/02/nestle-stixx-and-nestle-treasures.html

Also like I said, Hershey has a 60 calorie and also 100 calorie chocolate bars. They are individually wrapped in a box and come in different flavors. Hope this helps
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    One of my tricks for chocolate cravings is to mix a low fat pudding cup (60 cals, I think) with a few tablespoons of fat free cool whip to make a chocolate mousse.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: