OT: Gift question

Options
I am doing an observation of a middle school class for 2 hours each week. It is not student teaching, just a class that requires 20 hours for the semester. My mentor teacher has been awesome. I wanted to do more than a thank you card for all the things he has shown me. I am not sure what an appropriate gift is tho, because he is male and I don't want it to seem like anything more than just, "Thank you for you time" type of thing.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I am doing an observation of a middle school class for 2 hours each week. It is not student teaching, just a class that requires 20 hours for the semester. My mentor teacher has been awesome. I wanted to do more than a thank you card for all the things he has shown me. I am not sure what an appropriate gift is tho, because he is male and I don't want it to seem like anything more than just, "Thank you for you time" type of thing.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA:flowerforyou:
  • pooh70
    pooh70 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Gift cards are always a nice idea. If he is a coffee drinker you could get him one to a local coffee shop.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    A creative coffee mug filled with treats.....it's not personal enough to seem like a come-on, yet has personal thoughts behind it. (it's really sweet of you by the way).
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Gift cards are always a nice idea. If he is a coffee drinker you could get him one to a local coffee shop.
    I had this same idea, or if you want one to like a Subway if there is one in town.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    get a fruit bouquet from edible arrangements... something nice but it can be shared on the last day with him and the whole class... so it would be a very nice gesture, but not "personal" since everyone, including you, can partake!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    What about something that's needed for the classroom? Teachers are always spending their own money on things that the school doesn't have cash to supply. It's something that requires thought on your part, but at the same time isn't personal for him.
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    Great ideas everyone! Thanks!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    That's a really nice thought.
    Maybe a gift card to a school supply store if there's one locally. If he has any sporty hobby, maybe a giftcard to a big-box sport store. If you feel like spending more, a giftcard for dinner for him & his wife would be appreciated.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    does he golf? a box of ProV1's would be perfect...about $40.00
    ....the local sports store will know

a sweatshirt is always needed
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    You guys are so good about coming up with great ideas! I will have to try and find out more about his hobbie type stuff without him realizing what I am doing. LOL. I'm sure he needs something for him room too.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    gift card to a book store or maybe a copy of a book that has meant alot to you in your life. I love books and love to share them with fellow readers.