I logged snow shoveling as exercise and I am proud of it.

Options
Yesterday we had a huge snow storm in Michigan and the snow was up to my knees (probably 16" or more) and I shoveled my whole driveway by myself. I burned 530 calories. I usually do insanity and lift weights or run but after the shoveling (I wore my HRM), I only had the energy to do Insanity so I logged the shoveling calories. I know you all will complain but anyone that thinks shoveling is not exercise should have come and helped. I sweated my booty off.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone with a brain would try to dispute that shoveling is valid exercise. It's quite strenuous, especially the quantity that you describe. Last time I shoveled I burned almost 1k calories in an hour. My HR was between 160-180 for the entire time.
  • Shelley18904
    Shelley18904 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well done! I logged snow shovelling last week - I am a teacher and our school was shut to the kids after about 5 inches of snow, but I was in and spent 90 minutes shovelling snow to clear the paths and the car park, I was sweating loads - great exercise though!
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree shoveling snow is exercise. Definatly log it!
  • sporadica
    Options
    Oh honey, I know... I've logged shoveling every single day this week. We've had almost two meters of snow where I live and I've been spending at LEAST 2 hours a day shoveling. I figure any time I'm sweating that much (even in a snowstorm!) then it counts as exercise :)