BMR?

Options
Hello, I just started on MFP 12 days ago, so far doing great, but one thing i just foud out, My BMR is the same as total kcal I can eat a day. I am new at this, but I tought that to loose weight you actually had to be under your BMR.
Seems to be working, cos Ive lost 3 kilos already, but will it work in the long run?
So much to learn:)

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    BMR is the number of calories you'd burn in a coma, bed rest, or something similar. You burn much more than that in your daily life.

For sedentary, for example, you take your BMR and multiply by an activity factor of 1.2 for me that's about 1100* 1.2 = 1320. If I ate 1100 calories, my BMR, i'd want to shoot someone. In fact, I don't even eat as low as my sedentary burn, which is 1320, because I exercise.

So in all honesty, you'd really not want to eat as low as your BMR unless youre doing absolutely no exercise. It's simply not enough for the common person who is active or has a job that requires them to be on their feet.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount your body would use if you didn't even roll out of bed all day or were in a coma in the hospital. TDEE is what your body burns through normal daily activities - MFP estimates this by taking your BMR calculation and multiplying it by a factor that correlates to the activity level you set in your profile (sedentary = 1.2 I think, higher levels are a higher multiplier although I don't know the exact numbers). When MFP sets your calorie goal for weightloss, it takes that TDEE calculation (BMR x activity level) and subtracts a number that corresponds to the rate you said you want to lose weight (if you said you want to lose 1 lb per week, MFP subtracts 500 calories per day, b/c 500 calories over 7 days is a 3500 calorie deficit, which is the amount required to lose 1 lb).
  • labmother
    Options
    Ty so much for the answers.
    There is a difference between staying alive and living:)
    I got 2050kcal a day, so no need for any more I think.