for the ladies..........

Options
mamaof2girls
mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
Has anyone had the Essure procedure done? What was your experience, and would you recommend it?

Replies

• mamaof2girls
    Options
    Has anyone had the Essure procedure done? What was your experience, and would you recommend it?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't had it done. Had to look it up actually. Never heard of it before. Here's a link, if anyone is interested....
    http://www.essure.com/Home/Understanding/WhatisEssure/tabid/55/Default.aspx
    Apparently it's like a permanent IUD, but absolutely non-reversible.
  • mamaof2girls
    Options
    Apparently it's like a permanent IUD, but absolutely non-reversible.

There are no hormones though. It is like a tubal ligation, but without the cutting and downtime associated with surgery.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You're really young to do something irreversible...take it from someone who did something similar and regretted it!
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    Why not just do Mirena?? Mirena is actually supposed to be more effective than a tubal ligation. I just had it put in a couple of weeks ago and so far I love it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    You're really young to do something irreversible...take it from someone who did something similar and regretted it!

I was thinking the same thing. My mom had three girls with my dad, had a tubal after #3. Did not want ANY more children, especially not with him.

She remarried. Years passed. Wanted a child with my (step) dad. (He didn't have any 'biological' children, although he claims all of us as his kids.) She reversed the tubal and had my little brother when she was 42 (I was 17 and a senior in high school).

I would hate to make it permanent. Life circumstances and views can change over time. But that's just some of us trying to give you a perspective on your choice, not answering what you asked. I have no experience with Essure or Mirena or IUDs or anything other than the classic ol' birth control pill.
  • mamaof2girls
    Options
    Why not just do Mirena?? Mirena is actually supposed to be more effective than a tubal ligation. I just had it put in a couple of weeks ago and so far I love it.

How long does Mirena last? It is like an IUD right?
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    It is good for up to five years. Yes, it is an IUD. If you decide at any time that you want to get pregnant, you can hvae it removed, but it will last for 5 years and then at the end of the five years you can have another one put in if you choose. I think it is a great alternative to surgery or anything permanent.
  • mamaof2girls
    Options
    Thanks for the input......

I guess I need to discuss this more with hubby and dr. I just really wanted to get away from putting all the hormones in my bod. Ya know?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter at 25, she weighed 8 lbs 1.7 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long, 22 hours of labor and 1 hour of pushing. I had my son at 27 years old and he weighed 9 lbs 5.9 oz. and was 21 inches long, I was in labor for 24 hours and pushed for 2 hours, they finally had to get my son out using vaccum suction b/c his head was turned in a way that wouldn't let him come out without it. I got my tubes tied the next day after he was born because I have big babies and I was afraid that the next one would weigh 10 lbs, and I have regretted it ever since. Please don't do anything that is permanent