Girls only...pms related question

Options
Ok girls, I have had awful menstrual cramps for 5 days and my period is a day late. Any idea what the heck this could all be about?

Replies

• happyhubbard
    Options
    Ok girls, I have had awful menstrual cramps for 5 days and my period is a day late. Any idea what the heck this could all be about?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Dunno.... I always had bad cramps and my period was never regular. That would have been just aanother day for me.

Thank God for hysterectomies!!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Making the assumption you are sexually active, it could be a number of things.
    First thing that came to my mind was an ectopic pregnancy. I'd call the gyno and get their advice on whether to be seen or wait it out.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    If you ever have stomach cramping and a late period, you need to go to the doctor. It could be nothing, or it could be a tubal pregnancy. Tubal pregnancy can be fatal, and should always be taken seriously. Don't worry, just get yourself checked out.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think you should make an appt. with your Dr. It could be a number of things. Good luck. Cindy
  • AngelaBeaulieu
    AngelaBeaulieu Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1 day late . . . personally I would wait it out a few more days. Then go to the dr.s for a pregnancy test. Are the cramps abnormal?

I mean do you not get cramps every month?
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I guess I didn't notice it was only 1 day late. I would wait at least a week before you worry or call the doc. Your body could even just be adjusting to weight loss and changing cycles.

or...I should say that I personally would wait. Lack of insurance often makes me opt for the wait-n-see method.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I guess I didn't notice it was only 1 day late. I would wait at least a week before you worry or call the doc. Your body could even just be adjusting to weight loss and changing cycles.

or...I should say that I personally would wait. Lack of insurance often makes me opt for the wait-n-see method.

Oops. Same oversight here. Saw 5 days of cramping and thought your cycle was 5 days late.
    You can always call. The phone call to the doc is free. They might tell you to wait a couple days before scheduling an appointment if nothing changes.
  • Synn_sation
    Options
    I have gone through this myself. I had cramping but no menstraul cycle. I missed it for an entire month. Panicking I went to the doctor who totd me it was a combination of dietary change and excercising.

Dietary changes. Some women find that, after years of eating a certain way, switching to a different diet can cause them to miss a period or start a period late. The nutritional changes involved in switching diets can affect the body’s hormonal balance, which can cause a late or missed period.

- Exercise. A significant increase in exercise can affect a woman’s cycle, as well. Because exercise impacts a woman’s metabolism and hormones, exercise can cause her to miss a period or start a period late.

Cramps are normal as your still releasing an egg but not shedding the excess endomtrium tissue.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I am very regular- get my period at the same day/time every time. I went off of BC in December (was on it for 5 years) to get ready to start trying for our first baby. My husband and I had unprotected sex on March 22, but I ovulated exactly a week later (I thought I couldn't get pregnant unless we had sex a few days before ovulation). I do get awful cramps before my period, but usually just for 1 day. You are all right- I need to wait it out a few more days. I'm a little anxious about this conception thing (which we weren't planning on trying for until next month) and I guess I night be a little paranoid. Anyhow, I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what is was. Thanks, ladies!:flowerforyou:
  • lacieinthesky
    lacieinthesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know your body can do strange things when you go off birth control; especially w/ your cycle. When I went off BC the first time, it took a few months for my body to figure out my cycle again. You can basically get pregnant anytime, I've even known people that got pregnant on their period- it's just not as likely. Good luck with whatever the case turns out to be!
  • MBH3
    MBH3 Posts: 30
    Options
    You could be pregnant. My first sign of pregnancy was menstrual cramps with NO bleeding. Try a home pg test.

Marcy
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    this has happened to me before and it's usually related to a blood clot - Do not be alarmed if you get your period and it is reaaaally heavy the first 12-24 hours. The first time this happened to me I thought i was hemorrhaging - haha no joke, i freaked out. Once your period starts the cramps will go away.

Take motrin - it helps to break up the clot.
  • mizzoucheer
    Options
    I agree with Marcy. All of my pregnancies have started by being late and having lots of bloating and cramping. Just take a home test.
  • gperry227
    gperry227 Posts: 93
    Options
    I had that happen and I was pregnant. By the ovulation calendar there was no way I should have gotten pregnant,, but I did. You can always take at OTC preg test.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    You could be pregnant. My first sign of pregnancy was menstrual cramps with NO bleeding. Try a home pg test.

Marcy

Did you also get bloated and moody just like PMS when you found out you were pregnant?
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I had that happen and I was pregnant. By the ovulation calendar there was no way I should have gotten pregnant,, but I did. You can always take at OTC preg test.

Did you also get bloated and moody just like PMS when you found out you were pregnant?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Speaking from my own pregnancy.... YES!!!
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Not to put stress on you but some STD symptoms are like that, Best to make a call to the gyno, they are your best source of accurate info.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    Well, I just took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I guess I will wait it out a few more days and see what happens. In regards to the STD...I highly doubt it since I've only ever been with my husband (whom I've been with for 7 years!).