Halfway to goal, and what I've learned so far.

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member

When I did that google search a while back, looking for a "Free online calorie diary", I weighed 270 pounds. I set my goal at 200 pounds, because I couldn't imagine being any smaller than that. I was 200 pounds when I graduated high school, at the age of 17, 24 years ago. My wife of 21 years has never seen me under 200. Well, this morning Mr. Scale said 235, so I'm halfway to my (original) goal. An interesting experience so far.

There really should be a sign like Dante's Inferno at the front of this website, viewable at signup.

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"...

Do you like to stuff with donuts? Those days are gone...
Do you like to spend the entire weekend on the couch watching tube? No more...
Do you like to go to the Chinese buffet and make 6 trips and waddle out so full it hurts? Nope,,, done.

I think the reason that "Diets don't work" is because some folks think that they can work at it for a month (or a week, or a year, or whatever) and get to their goal weight --- and then go back to what they were doing before and they'll stay there.

Nope,,, uu-uh, doesn't work. I know. 6 years ago I lost 45 pounds, got to 215 (which is pretty small for me). Then I quit paying attention and gained 30 back over a couple years. Then I quit smoking and gained 25 more, and one day I looked down and couldn't see my feet. :noway: The weight caused sleep apnea and made me miserable, and it happened so gradually that I didn't even realize it was happening.

SO here I am, losing it again. This time is different, because I've learned what happens when you slack off, and I know it's not good for my body to yo-yo. Another difference is that this time I'm exercising, and not just dieting. But the biggest difference is that this time I'm not alone. My wife is a member here too, and doing very well. So it's not just me watching the meal choices and portion control. This has made it much easier than it was last time.

So
if you'd planned to just "get there" and then quit and go back to the couch and a bowl of ice cream, well no. Not happening if you want to stay healthy and well. So "abandon hope" if you thought weight control was a temporary thing, like college, that you go through once and then you've got it. If you want to be healthy and well then this is the rest of your life.

The good news is that it's not so bad, and the benefits are more than worth it. Good habits can replace bad habits, and good health is its' own reward.

Onward, I'm halfway to goal #1, of several I hope. When I started I thought that was it. I didn't know then that we would buy an elliptical machine that would kill me in 5 minutes flat,,, and I certainly didn't know that I'd be doing 30 minutes a day on it so soon. What else don't I know?

Replies

• CasperO
    Options

When I did that google search a while back, looking for a "Free online calorie diary", I weighed 270 pounds. I set my goal at 200 pounds, because I couldn't imagine being any smaller than that. I was 200 pounds when I graduated high school, at the age of 17, 24 years ago. My wife of 21 years has never seen me under 200. Well, this morning Mr. Scale said 235, so I'm halfway to my (original) goal. An interesting experience so far.

There really should be a sign like Dante's Inferno at the front of this website, viewable at signup.

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"...

Do you like to stuff with donuts? Those days are gone...
    Do you like to spend the entire weekend on the couch watching tube? No more...
    Do you like to go to the Chinese buffet and make 6 trips and waddle out so full it hurts? Nope,,, done.

I think the reason that "Diets don't work" is because some folks think that they can work at it for a month (or a week, or a year, or whatever) and get to their goal weight --- and then go back to what they were doing before and they'll stay there.

Nope,,, uu-uh, doesn't work. I know. 6 years ago I lost 45 pounds, got to 215 (which is pretty small for me). Then I quit paying attention and gained 30 back over a couple years. Then I quit smoking and gained 25 more, and one day I looked down and couldn't see my feet. :noway: The weight caused sleep apnea and made me miserable, and it happened so gradually that I didn't even realize it was happening.

SO here I am, losing it again. This time is different, because I've learned what happens when you slack off, and I know it's not good for my body to yo-yo. Another difference is that this time I'm exercising, and not just dieting. But the biggest difference is that this time I'm not alone. My wife is a member here too, and doing very well. So it's not just me watching the meal choices and portion control. This has made it much easier than it was last time.

So
    if you'd planned to just "get there" and then quit and go back to the couch and a bowl of ice cream, well no. Not happening if you want to stay healthy and well. So "abandon hope" if you thought weight control was a temporary thing, like college, that you go through once and then you've got it. If you want to be healthy and well then this is the rest of your life.

The good news is that it's not so bad, and the benefits are more than worth it. Good habits can replace bad habits, and good health is its' own reward.

Onward, I'm halfway to goal #1, of several I hope. When I started I thought that was it. I didn't know then that we would buy an elliptical machine that would kill me in 5 minutes flat,,, and I certainly didn't know that I'd be doing 30 minutes a day on it so soon. What else don't I know?
  • bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful inspiration!!!!

:drinker:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!!! Keep on keepin' on!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    congrats!!! Keep up the good work and know that you haven't abandoned hope...you are finding it
  • stewbigelow
    stewbigelow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great Advice!:happy:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice. We all need these reminders from time to time. I'm glad you shared your thoughts with us.
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    great great advice!!! thank you

:happy:
  • Copswife0819
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! Truer words have never been spoken!!! Good luck on your continued journey!
  • kevin831
    kevin831 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That was great advice Thank you for sharing your thoughts!! I like you want to replace my bad habits with good ones. I don't look at MFP as a diet. I can still eat some of my favorite foods within reason. I look at MFP like a monetary budget. I budget what I can eat to stay within my calorie, carb,& etc ranges. I have never felt hungry or gone without or have starved myself. I love this program as it acts as a director for Good Health. It has it all. Thank you to all of you others who have given good thoughts & advice just when I needed it. We are all here for each other.
  • CasperO
    Options
    I didn't really think of it as advice, but if some take it that way, well,,, Ok?!?!

My point that I made was that you can't go home again,,, you don't get to go back to using your mouth for a garbage can.

Another point that I wanted to make, (but didn't, I'm afraid), is that you won't mind. The good stuff is good, feeling better is good, breaking a sweat once in a while is good. I would not want to go back to my old lifestyle.

Kind of like when I quit smoking. For the first month cigarettes smelled like perfume, and I wanted one. The next couple months I was indifferent to them, no effect on me. It's been almost 2 years now, and now they stink. I'm not "One of those,,," ex-smokers, I don't nag or criticize because I remember how I hated those people when I was still smoking,,, but still - "Hey smokers - those things stink", Hehehe.

The better-for-ya lifestyle is better, once you get used to it. You will "Abandon hope" for going back, but you won't mind. :happy:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    congrats. thanks for the amazing story. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!